Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

A positive, realistic perspective on quitting drinking & recovery

Notices

Old 03-15-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
where the light is

I have been sober for almost 15 months. Today, I can clearly see the difference between my old life and my new life.

When I first quit drinking, I was overwhelmed with a sense of loss (I can never drink again) and negative thoughts and feelings – shame, guilt, and fear. My path has had many painful challenges – obsessive thoughts, anxiety, second guessing. I had to accept that many of the truths that I had based my life on were wrong. But through it all, I did not drink.

Today I feel really good. I am a non-drinker. I have a much more peaceful mind. I have a better sense of the priorities in my life (sobriety, family, health) and I act on these priorities. It’s not like this every moment of every day but overall, I am living a very good life. I’m getting to the point where maintaining my sobriety and working a recovery program is not a burden at all. Quite the opposite in fact.

I am sharing this is to offer a positive and, in my opinion, realistic perspective on quitting drinking:

-You are not “losing” anything good in your life. In fact, you are giving yourself and those who love you a very valuable gift - sobriety.

-Like achieving anything of value, there are going to be challenges along the way. There is no way around this. Accept the challenges and address them in a good way. As difficult as it gets, don’t drink. Overcoming these challenges will make you stronger. I compare it to raising my kids, building a strong marriage, getting physically & spiritually fit – not easy stuff but so worth it.

Embrace your recovery and accept the challenges. Find what path is right for you, work hard, and be patient. And along the way be kind to yourself; acknowledge that you are accomplishing something of great value.

I honestly believe that we can all have the gift of sobriety.
Old 03-15-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

A positive post, thank you.

Paul
Old 03-15-2009, 01:04 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

wow

thankyou so much for a wonderful post, it has really helped me because the feelings you describe about loss and never been able to drink again are the exact feelings i have been experiencing this weekend . i am very early in recovery ( five weeks today) some days i feel great , other days not so good. i am in AA but find it tough phoning people and asking for help, because i am quite shy and feel like i am being a burden, however on friday when i was feeling vulnerable i took the plunge and phoned my sponsor, she talked me through everything and i instantly felt better. it taught me that we should never be afraid or too proud to ask for help. i wish your post had been on this forum friday!!! you have done so well, your post was encouraging and inspiring, and has given me hope.. you have a positive , realistic approach towards recovery, thanks again, i hope your journey gets stronger and better each day xx
Old 03-15-2009, 02:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great Post Gravity,
Thanks for posting. Sixteen months for me. It is so much better sober!!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Forward we go...side by side
Old 03-17-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey, that is a great post, its just so lovely and positive to hear from people further into their sober lives and to read about the changes
Old 03-17-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

A great post. You're further along than me, so you're an inspiration and mentor. I didn't experience the loss, I'm still in that weird period I guess. I know how I have hurt people, but I just want to move on. I don't want to do 9.

Gotta go back. My sponsor must be sick of me.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Perfectly said! Thank you!