Notices

How long does initial physical withdrawal last?

Old 03-14-2009, 01:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How long does initial physical withdrawal last?

Hi, I posted a couple of days ago about how I was trying to quit again. Right now I'm just about at 48 hours since I last touched alcohol and I'm experiencing off and on anxiety and poor sleeping ability. I've gone to several meetings a day both yesterday and today, and I'm talking to a lot of my recovery friends on the phone.

I know that the obsession to drink will be with me for a long time, but my question is this: Approx. how long does this initial phase of physical withdrawal last? I know about PAWS, but I just want to know how long does it take for the last dosage of alcohol to leave your brain chemistry so it can stabilize? Any info is greatly appreciated.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please check out this link....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

My initial de tox was 3 days. Not everyone has the same
time line or severity of withdrawal symptoms.

That's why it's best to consult your doctor.

Good to see you again...
Old 03-14-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks CarolD. I've got fatigue, inability to sleep well and anxiety. Thank goodness I'm not vomiting or shaking. I'm using the 1 day at a time method, but I am looking forward to being able to sleep somewhat soundly someday.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

While this has nothing to do with alcoholism/withdrawal/sleeping problems
I'll pass it along for your consideration

Insomnia? 42 Simple Tips to Help You Get to Sleep - Insomnia treatment, cures

We also have a sR forum that might have suggestions.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ia-nightmares/

Your doing great....
Old 03-14-2009, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks again CarolD. Just out of curiosity, how many days of sobriety do you have? I re-read my copy of "Under the Influence", so much of it I had forgotten. Thanks for the tips.
Old 03-14-2009, 08:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I safely and medically detoxed in a great hospital for 3 days. By the fourth day I felt well enough to go home. For me, the anxiety was the worst part of it.

tib
Old 03-14-2009, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for asking barstow ....

Aftter reading "Under The Influence" in April '89
I re-connected to god and AA....have not had another drink.

I also followed the supplements and eating plan in the book.
I found it very beneficial and hope you will check it out.

Yes! you too can recover....
Old 03-14-2009, 10:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

i think insomnia is one of the hardest things about sobriety. So many of us just drank til we fell asleep. When you stop doing that i think your body takes awhile to adapt.

i have a lot of trouble sleeping. I tried OTC and prescription medicine but both just made me really tense.

i've found that exercise in the evening is the best way to get to sleep at night
Old 03-14-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Heathen

I never really slept til I got sober.. i just passed out. Now I have better sleep than I can ever remember having. I hope you get there soon!!
Old 03-15-2009, 12:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

From whiskey it was 3 hard days for me.

From wine and beer it was 3 mild days.

Congrats on your sobriety!
Old 03-15-2009, 01:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Lack 'a' power

90 days

I just wanted to thank you for the post Barstow.

Someone I was chatting with today was saying they felt like they had nothing to offer because they were so new. I told them it's not about what you can bring to the table, it's about sharing. It's about a common bond. It's about fellowship and trudging. But first we gotta' get clean and sober.
When someone tells me they have a few days or even hours I applaud with complete sincerity. Not only am I glad for them it also reminds me of the pain and confusion of coming to on that 1st day; f2f with "the Hidious Four Horsemen"

Like someone said they never slept; they passed out. They never woke up; they came to.
When I get sober I know the drill almost to the day. Shakes for about 24 hours or so. The one thing I know for sure is that I won't sleep and my mind is going to race out of control for at least 3-4 days. Why shouldn't it ? I just spent another good chunk of my life trying in vain to kill myself. (The last time I almost did it.) Love the sweats and the cold chills. Then the thinking won't stop. then the body feels a little better after 5-6 days I Start trying to eat again. 2-4 weeks, Restless, irritated and discontented. Then boredom sets in.

Took me 15 years to get any real time sober. So in my experience the 90 days holds pretty true. I heard the term rigorous honesty way back when I was young and knew in my heart, I just wasn't ready.
I wish I could say something to keep even one person from going back out and crushing themselves like I did. Doing the same thing over and over expecting different results, which insidently is the definition of insanity.

In AA First we came. Then we came to. Then we came to believe.
For me; and I know for many others this is life or death. I may laugh and joke a great deal but when it comes down to it, I'm dead serious about recovery. Now it seems I never have time to sleep!

So welcome! I agree with the saying that the newcomer is the most important person in the room.

Captainzing2000 showed me this sight. Some good info here.
Understanding Alcohol—Information about Alcohol
Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I felt that all alcohol was out of my system after about 7 days - but 3 weeks in and I still can't get to sleep at a reasonable time. But a small price to pay. I have had 6 weeks sobriety before and know the biggest risk for me is getting "bored" with it. Am trying a longer term strategy this time

DeepBlue
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I always felt alive on the fourth day.

Paul