Notices

Paxil and Alcohol

Old 11-19-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

see my thread here about finding an SNRI that took away my cravings after my life was damn near ruined by paxil
Old 11-19-2009, 06:19 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

oops, forgot to include link:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...help-some.html
Old 11-20-2009, 02:54 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

omegasupreme, I guess I am not suppose to post the link from where I obtained what I posted. I did post it on this website in another thread and it was edited to remove the link by the admin and given this reason: "I removed the website due to possible medical advice"

Even though the website in question has no medical advice and composed of articles, studies and news pertaining to this subject. I will abide by the rules of this website.
Old 11-20-2009, 05:51 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I guess that makes sense, since people new to this site and new to recovery could be looking for some cure all and misconstrue the information.
Old 11-20-2009, 07:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

In my opinion, here is just another real life example of how ssri's can cause in some people a compulsion for alcohol:

Aubrey was diagnosed with depression and anxiety in January 2003 and prescribed Lexapro and Xanax, according to the suit; two months later, Aubrey's wife, Esther, noticed her husband's increased withdrawal from their family and a sharp increase in alcohol consumption.
source: Ex-firefighter sues Bethlehem over firing, substance abuse | ZARCHIVES: Lehigh Valley Live Breaking News - PennLive.com

People can read it for themselves and come to their own conclusions. However I can post many, and I mean MANY articles like this. But I won't.....this is just an example for this subject.

I agree, there is no "cure all" for alcoholism. It is a devastating disease that horrifically affects many people. I would like to say in my opinion let's not possibly add to it.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:06 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Out of lurker mode:

Do I want to give medical advice? All the time! What I can't know is what person are you. What worked for me might kill someone else. I don't know your allergies or drug interactions. I don't know what prior medical conditions you may be suffering from. Also, I'm not a doctor. I know what worked for me, and that was a hell of a kick and a lot of recovery meetings. Underemployed and no driver's license made it easy to find a meeting I could walk to.
Old 11-20-2009, 08:19 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let me refresh everyone's memory on our posting
guidelines about medical advice....

10. Medical Advice: No Posts giving medical advice, medication advice, or psychiatric advice. Do not use the forum to give or ask for professional medical or psychiatric advice. If you are a medical professional, please remember the forums and chat are for peer support only and not to be used for distributing professional medical advice and/or using the forum to represent your professional services. Medical and Psychiatric advice includes giving a diagnosis, treatment plan, medication advice and dosage suggestions, over the counter and natural home remedies that should be approved by medical professionals. Detox can be dangerous and life threatening at times. Please consult with your physician
Any post doing so will be removed as will
links to other sites not deemed suitable for SR
by our Forum Team.

Thank youfor respecting SR's guidelines...
Old 11-24-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Admitted by the manufacturer

TheShallot, you don't have to wonder if Paxil can cause some people to consume alcohol. GlaxoSmithKline the makers of Paxil admit this in their own document!

Alcohol Abuse is listed on page 35 under Nervous System in the Paxil Insert. It is listed as an "Adverse Reaction". You can read if with your own eyes directly from their website:

http://us.gsk.com/products/assets/us_paxil.pdf
Old 11-24-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I took Paxil and drank. I think I drank more and got a lot more blackouts when on Paxil. I didn't care! For me Paxil had that effect. I just got careless and numb.

Now I'm sober as can be. Well, not under the influence of anything except maybe coffee and cigarettes. That's good enough for me at the moment
Old 11-24-2009, 09:54 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Wow lifeafter!

I can't believe alcohol abuse is listed. It's funny because I was on Zoloft when I first heard about the link between it and alcoholism, so the next time I went to the doctor, I asked to switch, and now I'm on Paxil. I didn't tell this doctor about my alcoholism, and I wonder if he still would have prescribed it to me if he knew.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

WOW is right!

aqua4017, "WOW", that was my reaction also when I found out this info. I am a firm believer that all SSRI's can have this side effect on some people, the evidence is just so overwhelming! It's a very real danger that people need to know about.

If you are interested here is some info about zoloft:

"Meri Nana-Ama Danquah, a talented poetess, becomes an alcoholic while taking Zoloft. When she finally realizes what has happened, she quits the Zoloft and gets her life back together."

This is detailed in her book called Willow Weep for Me. You can get it through Amazon.
Old 11-26-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Yes. Hell YES.
I have been in AA for 9 years now. I have been on and off Paxil for 13 years (started with the baby blues with my daughter). In my recovery I have gone years clean and months of relapse.
Recently after almost 2 years clean I had some stress in my life. Got depressed - took Paxil. Got anxiety - took more Paxil. Couldn't stop drinking and using - took more Paxil. It wasn't until I took 3 months off work, lost my kids to my using and ran out of Paxil until I saw the signs. I had no money. I went off Paxil for 3 days. I was fine. Cravings were gone. Got cash, got Paxil and within a day I was off and running.
I sat down with my doctor and looked at my file. Everytime I started Paxil I relapsed.
I have now been off it since the beginning of October and those constant thoughts of drinking, using, gambling.....everything, have passed.
I am 100% convinced that *I* have that reaction. I know that not everyone does and I'm happy that it has helped so many people. Me? My brain is triggered.
Old 11-28-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I posit that the increased serotonin activity brought about by Paxil leads to a decrease in the amount of dopamine activity. As some of you are aware, alcohol stimulates the dopamine reward pathway. Thus, if serotonin and dopamine work in a "see saw" manner as has been noted, alcohol craving of this nature could be the body's innate response to artificially stimulate the dopamine pathway which has been limited by the SSRI use.
Old 11-28-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

gonezo77 ....
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 11-28-2009, 04:02 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gonezo77 View Post
I posit that the increased serotonin activity brought about by Paxil leads to a decrease in the amount of dopamine activity. As some of you are aware, alcohol stimulates the dopamine reward pathway. Thus, if serotonin and dopamine work in a "see saw" manner as has been noted, alcohol craving of this nature could be the body's innate response to artificially stimulate the dopamine pathway which has been limited by the SSRI use.
would be interesting to see how someone who experienced cravings on an SSRI reacted to something like wellbutrin which i believe helps increase dopamine.

again i want to add that anyone who has had these cravings result from an SSRI, ask your doctor about pristiq. i found another forum where someone else's cravings disappeared after trying it. i'm now 46 days free and no cravings, and that's with no meetings or counselors or anything.
Old 11-28-2009, 04:08 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gonezo77 View Post
Some pharmacologists believe that, over time, the brain compensates this SSRI-induced dopamine deficiency by producing more dopamine. This excess dopamine can lead to anxiety, which in turn can trigger alcohol cravings.

Bottom line is, no one really knows how these meds work. Some people benefit from them, others definitely do not. It's trial and error.
Old 11-28-2009, 07:32 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

I was on an SSRI (Zoloft) and it did not per se make me crave alcohol, but interesting enough, at first it caused major anorexia then after a few weeks major compulsive overeating. Yes, it made me tired too. I haven't been on paxil though.
Old 11-29-2009, 02:54 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

It's trial and error
When did people become guinea pigs? Trial and error with psychotropic drugs to me seems outrageous. But, that's just my opinion.
Old 11-29-2009, 04:47 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I'm glad I found this post! I have over the years been on numerous SSRI's, and SSNR's...all the while drinking like a fish. All prescribed by a General Physician. I had in my early 20's a major depressive episode....I'm now on Day 43 sober, and am really starting to dip into a negated, quasi-depressed state. I've a prescription on hand for Paxil 10 mg. Took one before bed thinking that if I went back on them, I'd help the depressed side of being sober...but now am fearful. I do know that SSRI's generally make me more anxious and I always drank heavily while on them....but then probably would be drinking heavily anyway. So not sure if that was a cause/contributed to it. What to do????
Old 12-01-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Hi Everyone....

Because of the repeated violations on this topic
regarding medical advice.....this thread is closed.

Please do consult your doctor about what is
the best for you.

Thanks