Notices

Going Home

Old 03-07-2009, 03:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Going Home

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can stay sober when I go home for spring break? My dad buys me whatever I want, pretty much created my whole problem and I don't know if I'll have enough strength to resist. I usually drink fairly heavily at home. On the other hand, I don't get along with my mom so I can't go to her house. What should I do?
Old 03-07-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
We Do Recover

Does your Dad know about your problem? Also, does he seem to have a drinking problem himself? If so,Is there anyplace else you could go and be safe...like a trusted friend's house instead? My best advice--find a nearby group when you do go home for additional support. Spring break is a tough time for alot of folks, especially young people. Also, if there is any way you could keep in touch with us here at SR during that time --that might also be helpful.
Old 03-07-2009, 05:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This is what I suggest...of course it's up to you.

Have a straight up talk with your Dad
explaining your drinking has become a problem....
you have stopped. Tell him how good you feel.
ask him for his understanding...assistance and support.

Find a local AA meeting to attend.
Then you can get phone numbers and
be able to call if you get antsy.

Hope you can work this out...
Recovery Rocks!
Old 03-08-2009, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice and support. I don't think talking with my dad will work because he's pretty much known that I have a problem since 11th grade and doesn't seem to care...instead, he blames me for asking him for booze. Posting on SR would be good to share what I'm going through and get support, and I could probably take the car if I'm still insured on it to an AA meeting. I'm kind of nervous about asking my dad to bring me to a meeting, because it would feel really awkward since I know he's not likely to take my recovery seriously.
Old 03-08-2009, 12:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

ok, you're going to be in a high temptation environment. So, before you get their, you have to (1) commit to NOT drinking (2) figure out an hour by hour approach to achieving that goal.
For example, buy soda, juice and other drinks. Keep one open always.
Buy snacks too, and stay well fed.
Do you exercise? Maybe commit to getting up everyday at 6am and working out.
Buy movies for the evenings. Heck, maybe your plan includes going to bed at 8pm each night.
I went to bed very early during my first weeks of sobriety. I needed to escape the evening temptations.

Get a spiral notebook or an hour-by-hour day planner. For each day you're there, go to the notebook and write out that you haven't had any drinks in the last 60 minutes. Each hour.
Structure your day, stay disciplined, focused, committed to your life and health.
You could come out of this feeling very strong and happy with yourself, if you do some pre-planning and stick to your plan.

You're a smart guy, knowing you're entering a difficult environment.
I hope these ideas help. Best of luck to you.