Notices

tonight

Old 03-06-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

tonight

OMG,

My friend just called to invite me over tonight, she asked me to come to dinner and of course there will be drinking involved (she is a heavy drinker). It's sounding almost tempting, and I haven't told her I have not drank in two weeks, I just don't want to get into that with her. I know if I am there I will drink...I have very few friends who don't drink, so I am getting bored at home. I need some encouragement to not go there, I think I will be so angry at myself tomorrow if I do, but it's hard...
Old 03-06-2009, 11:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
where the light is

Do something else fun tonight. You will feel awesome in the morning. I have yet to wake up thinking "man, I really should have got hammered last night!"
Old 03-06-2009, 11:55 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I too had to turn down invitations to protect my early sobriety.
Congratulations on your sober time ...

I found new non drinking friends in AA.
We did all sorts of outside activities as well as meetings.
Have you considered AA?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:13 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I still have to turn down invitations. I don't want to cut everyone out of my life, but everyone still knows me as "let's meet at the bar" guy. I like to go to dinner at Village Inn or Denny's, stupid places that don't serve liquor and they get so confused.

My friends were not the cause of my drinking, I was. I cannot just cut people out of my life, but I will admit that sober living and socializing has been a struggle for them and me.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jch116 View Post
OMG,

My friend just called to invite me over tonight, she asked me to come to dinner and of course there will be drinking involved (she is a heavy drinker). It's sounding almost tempting, and I haven't told her I have not drank in two weeks, I just don't want to get into that with her. I know if I am there I will drink...I have very few friends who don't drink, so I am getting bored at home. I need some encouragement to not go there, I think I will be so angry at myself tomorrow if I do, but it's hard...
there are some very useful suggestions for you situation in the Big Book, page 101-103, I would suggest if you think you are going to drink that you don't go,
Old 03-06-2009, 12:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

jch...I too like Carol turned down many invitations in early sobriety...I didn't view it as a depravation but a necessity. Sobriety has to be a priority...I wish you the best.
Old 03-06-2009, 12:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

it's def. not easy to deal with certain friends who arent where you are at....i celebrated my 90 days last night by going to a restaurant with a best friend and he got saucy....it bothered me a bit, but i'm the one who put myself in that situation....i knew he was a drunk prior...i just didnt want to stay at home..ANOTHER NITE....he's a keeper even with his issues, now other 'friends', not so much....they have drifted away from me cuz im not into the drugs and drink.....your real friends show themselves when it matters....so what i'm getting at is maybe be str8 up w/ ur friend and let them know the deal.....just my opinion....every situation is different

wish the best
Old 03-06-2009, 03:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Don't Go! Don't Go! You will feel so much better tomarrow. Call your friend around 8am when you are up and ready to greet the day...I bet she won't be feeling too good!
Old 03-06-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You said so yourself, that you would drink if you went, so don't go.

It really does get easier in time. Stick around here, read and post. There is a ton of support to be found here.
Old 03-06-2009, 08:36 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

When I was taking a break from drinking due to liver problems, I went out with my brother and some friends a few nights during our ski trip. I was miserable. I was ok not drinking, but just could not stand being around drunk idiots. I am sure it will get easier in the future, but for now, I can not stand to be around people that are drinking a lot.
Old 03-07-2009, 07:50 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ever closer...

So...what did you decide?????
Old 03-08-2009, 08:11 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I didn't go, I knew I would probably end up drinking or being miserable. I went out to dinner with my daughter instead, went to sleep early and woke up feeling good! Thanks for all the support, it really helps to get through the days.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yay
Old 03-08-2009, 10:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, great choice!!!
Old 03-08-2009, 09:13 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Good for you!