Notices

7 years since i started trying to quit...

Old 03-05-2009, 07:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 years since i started trying to quit...

and i think i'm finally starting to get it.

i'm an addict/alcoholic, and choose to post in alcoholism because alcohol is my real demon. i'm about a month sober after a slip, 4 years into my sobriety. i have almost 7 years clean from meth and weed, which were my drugs of choice when i was substituting (yay i'm all better cause i don't drink!!! don't mind that i'm all strung out...).

i feel a difference in me. over the course of the past week, i've felt and identified two real emotions, happiness and sadness, and differentiated them from "states of being"--ie depression, desperation or excitement. i think i'm really coming out of a depression i've been in, partially treated or not, for over ten years. (i'm 25.)

yesterday i realized, i'm not scared to leave my house. i've been petrified to do anything, go to the store, go out with friends, for seven years. and i realized, like a smack in the face, that i've been doing just that for a week without even noticing i'm not scared.

i think my recovery is really starting now although i've been clean so long. i think i'm finally at a place where i'm starting to understand myself and this world i live in, and I DON'T WANT TO KILL MYSELF. that's huge. it's a change that happened because i started doing instead of thinking--leaving the house, smiling when i'm scared, LETTING THINGS GO.

thanks for reading.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:17 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sounds like you are making progress.....
Congratulations
Welcome back to SR!
Old 03-05-2009, 01:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

Originally Posted by zxcirce View Post
it's a change that happened because i started doing instead of thinking--leaving the house, smiling when i'm scared, LETTING THINGS GO.
This has been one of the best aspects of my sobriety - less living in my head (with that fear & uncertainty), more getting out there and living life!

Congratulations on all of your accomplishments!
Old 03-05-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

it's a change that happened because i started doing instead of thinking--
Its all about taking action. I tried to work it all out in my head for a long time lol, ..........action is the antidote to despair
Great to hear your progress....well done
Old 03-05-2009, 10:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Congrats on the month! And welcome back! Sounds like things are getting clearer for you, progress is a great feeling!
Old 03-06-2009, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Congrats on the month.
Old 03-06-2009, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

thanks everyone.

i love having a place i can share my hope and happiness as well as my struggles. i am going to work out today and then go to work, and i'm ridiculously happy for the opportunity to do both.

sober rocks.