Notices

Three days dry

Old 02-28-2009, 03:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Three days dry

Hi everyone,

three days ago I decided that I'd had enough of alcohol. Although I wasn't drinking as much as some people here, I'm in no doubt that I was/am an alcoholic.

Over the past ten years I have drank at least one bottle of wine per night, then on social occasions, up to three bottles with beer and whatever else was available. (I have never drank spirits, I never liked the taste.) When beer or wine is flowing, I cannot stop myself drinking.

The past year things have gotten worse, I lost my nineteen-year-old son early last year, and instead of looking after myself, I drank. Budweiser has been my choice, around six 500ml tins per night. I have put on a terrible amount of weight, and I'm nervous and emotional all the time, I'm also very depressed. I was also having palpitations and waking up drenched in sweat. My face is bloated to twice its normal size. I look dreadful. My mind (which has always been fairly active) is foggy and I feel stupid constantly.

I didn't detox, I have drank lots of camomile tea & taken melatonin to get me to sleep. This has worked, I have had no obvious symptoms of withdrawal and I'm feeling a lot better already.

The thing is, I have stopped before and after two or three weeks, the first suggestion of a drink cannot be refused by me. I foolishly believe I've "recovered". I don't want to drink anymore, but I feel weak.

Any tips on what to do when temptation strikes once more?
Old 02-28-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, I think you've come to the right place, today I'm starting on my 3rd day too. As for tips, try remembering how good you fell when you dont drink ! Or come online and talk about it, this isn't something that easy to do alone. Many, many people find AA helpful. Hang in there.
Old 02-28-2009, 03:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the welcome, Poppy

I intend to "stick around" I wish I'd have found this place a year ago.
Old 02-28-2009, 04:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome Clock - I know what you mean about the palpitations - I have had these big times when I have been drinking a lot and it is not pleasant. I stopped 6 days ago - and guess what, the palpitations have more or less gone!! My drinking has also caused me a lot of generalised anxiety/panic attacks in the past. For me, it really seems to get into my nervous system.

Guess what - I reckon you are going to be feeling a LOT better VERY soon! So hang on in there - you are doing really well to get through these first few days.

DB
Old 02-28-2009, 04:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Next time the urge to drink hits you, remember clearly how awful drinking made you feel and how much better your life will be without alcohol. Take it one day at a time - just don't drink for today.

Welcome!:ghug3
Old 02-28-2009, 04:50 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Recovery is an ongoing process and the sooner you accept what the consequences of you having one drink are and the fact that you have this for the rest of your life the easier it will be to start living a sober life IMO. All you have to do is not drink for today and not worry about tomorrow at all. That made no real sense to me until i was ready to get help, although i heard it all the time, and here i am almost 5 months sober, it is a miracle but is fairly easy to analyse why i have managed this time when i could not even stop for 2 days before.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome. It might be helpful to tell yourself when the urge hits you to not drink for just this day. Getting those cravings is normal and you'll have to learn how to live with them for now. Fortunately, as time goes on you'll still have thoughts about drinking but you won't get the strong cravings associated with it. That has been my experience anyway.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you joined us...
Welcome to our recovery community

Please drink a lot of water
it's the best thing to flush toxins.
You might want to cut back on caffeine.
if you are jittery.

Do keep posting with us