Notices

I need advice and help

Old 02-25-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need advice and help

A couple of weeks ago I went to detox for Alcohol, and I got out and right away went back to my unhealthy drinking habits. I have been drinking a bottle of vodka a day for 6 days. If it has only been 6 days, could I detox myself, or wean myself off of it?
I really need advice! I am only 21 and I am scared. Please someone give me some support and advice. I have no idea what to do.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Detoxing oneself is never recommended, no matter how much you drank.

Are you close with your parents? I got sober last year, at 22, with my parents' support. I did all the work in terms of scheduling detox and rehab, but it was made infinitely easier knowing I wasn't alone.

My best advice: put your all into getting sober now! From what I hear, it only gets harder as you get older. If you don't go to detox, at least talk to your family doctor before you go cold turkey (from everything I hear, tapering doesn't work). Take lots of B-vitamins, eat well, don't isolate. You can do this!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Please contact your doctor, detoxing can be fatal.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Tellus is so right, it just gets harder as you get older. I drank for many years and am lucky to be alive and not in jail for vehicular homicide. It sounds like you didn't get any follow up help after detox. Just getting the alcohol out of your system is not enough. I went to detox for 3 days (insurance company wouldn't pay for more!) and I was a zombie when I came out. I went right back to it too, thinking I'd be more careful this time. Of course, that failed & I was more insane & reckless than ever. It sounds like you'd benefit from AA or another program so you won't feel all alone in this. SR is a great help, and for me it's been the only thing I've needed, but I'm much older and felt my life was over if I didn't quit. Please let us know what happens. We care about you. Love, Joanie