Notices

So my husband is at home right now

Old 02-24-2009, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

So my husband is at home right now

And he's calling me and texting me that he's throwing up his stomach lining (blood and yellow bile in his vomit) And I'm like whatever. I don't care if he does have alcohol poisoning... he can't die from it. Can he?
Old 02-24-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Yes he can.

Look it up.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberforME View Post
Yes. Yes he can.

Look it up.
Well, this isn't the first time he's thrown up blood and it probably won't be the last. Nobody forced him to drink the whole bottle of E&J.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Random dependencies. Man, we're an unattractive proposition aren't we?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

have you got an update?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

He's still throwing up everything can't hold down water etc. He's resting now though. He's got a fever. He'll be fine. To him, alcohol poisoning is a part of his disease.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

wow has he tried to get any help at all? like AA, alcohol counselling, rehab etc? sucks for you i bet!
Old 02-24-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I'm sorry to see your husband is ill from drinking.
He may need to check in an ER.

I almost bled to death from oesophagal varices
Required 3 transfusions-3 days in ICU + 3 more in hospital.

I did not have alcoholic poisioning...
I was not trying to de tox.

I did not quit drinking when I was released.

I did 4 months later..

Last edited by CarolD; 02-24-2009 at 01:53 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

He can die from this.
I would suggest he call for help or get to the ER.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:09 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

if not now, just a matter of time. He needs help, regardless of your anger with the situation. I'm really glad my husband called 911 when he did, I would have died otherwise. People die ALL the time from alcohol poisoning, I should have, but I got the emergency medical care that saved my life.

Hope he does. Might not be a next time.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Esophageal hemorrhaging, and yes he can die from it. He should go to the ER immediately.
Old 02-24-2009, 06:15 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

get him to the er

my ex-son in law died at the age of 46 from Esophageal hemorrhaging! my grandson and my daughter (his ex wife) thought he had quit drinking as he had told them. when my grandson had not heard from his dad, my daughter went over to his apt. to check on him. she made my grandson son stay in the car, thank GOD!
my daughter found him dead on the couch!!!!! he had been dead for 9 days! what a horrible experience for my child and grandchild!
death from alcoholism is not pretty!

:ghug
Old 02-25-2009, 01:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Not exactly a great way to go is it?! Gonna go and hug my cat!

yesterdaysnumb - Hope your hubbie is ok now! Yes Phal we are a bit pathetic, funny how we only see that in hindsight and with sobriety. I'm not even going to start thinking about all my great moments!

**** im so grateful to be sober today!
Old 02-25-2009, 04:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks guys for your advice! I really appreciate it.

My husband has been struggling with his alcohol and drug abuse for a long long time. He went into rehab for alcohol abuse for 3 days. Came right out and got a beer that same day. He's gone to AA, rehab and tried cold turkey. Nothing is working because he doesn't want it to work.

After I came home yesterday he said that he felt like he was going to die. He said he is done drinking (lie 1), he'll never drink or smoke again (lie 2), he threw out all his lighters and cigarettes and poured out his stash of alcohol and promised to make a doc appointment to get checked out (lie 3). Of course he hasn't drank a drop since then.... but I'm certain that I'll post a relapse story next week about how he screwed up and fell "weak" once again. *sigh* Normally I post about his drug abuse in the substance abuse forum but his alcohol seems to be worsening.

I'm tired of it all.... the passing out, the sleeping 24x7, the anger, the lies... especially the lies.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Why come here and post when you could get more understanding from the friend's and families? It's like you want to punish us too along with your husband. Why put up with his lies, why don't you move out or kick him out? I know for me the answer was in AA for this alcoholic. I had to get proactive though and act on my wants. I wanted to get sober, therefore I went to AA (many times before I stopped). Why not have your husband come to this forum and talk about his wanting to quit instead of you bitching about it all to us. I feel sorry for your husband and his throwing up blood more so then you having to put up with his lies. He is in real bad shape. Talk him in to going to the doctors or make an appointment for him. Go to alanon for yourself to help you get better too. What a mess!
Old 02-25-2009, 05:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I'm alcoholic, and I'm also F&F. Although it's a truth I dislike strongly, some of us do die, and the description of what your husband is going through just may be the catalyst for some of the rest of us to make the decision to live.

Where there's breath, there's hope. May your husband latch onto some hope.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 02-25-2009, 05:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know it must be extremely hard to live with an alcoholic and torture to watch them inflicting such damage to themselves and their family. However your husband is not choosing to do this to you or himself. All choice about whether he takes a drink or not is now gone, after all who would "choose" to do this to themselves.

Your husband is in the grip of a disease called alcoholism. He is sick and cannot get better by himself. If your husband were a diabetic or had cancer he would not improve without medication. The only effective "medication" now for your husband is AA. But he must come to this conclusion himself.

Do what you must to help your husband through this particularly nasty spell. After all he is a human being and no one deserves to be left to die like that. When it is over you must make a decision about your own life. It seems that you have reached a point of such resentment and anger that it cannot benefit either you or your husband to carry on like this.

My heart goes out to you both...
Old 02-25-2009, 05:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Why come here and post when you could get more understanding from the friend's and families?

Sorry for punishing you. That's not my intention...

The reason I posted here rather than friends and family is because I wanted to get another outlook on our situation. On the friends and family sub-forum they give me advice, I don't want advice... I know what I have to do and I'm taking steps toward doing just that. My husband doesn't have internet access. (I post from work) So, it's not possible for him to post. Not only that, but I posted here and I've posted in the substance abuse portion to get insight from the addict's point of view. I haven't gotten any negative replies in the substance abuse portion from people saying I'm punishing them by posting my story previously, so I didn't think I'd get any negative feedback here either.

Should addicts/alcoholics and friends and family of addicts/alcoholics not communicate their sides to each other?
Old 02-25-2009, 05:48 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by verity29 View Post
It seems that you have reached a point of such resentment and anger that it cannot benefit either you or your husband to carry on like this.

My heart goes out to you both...

Yes, you are so right! On all points... especially this one. However, I must take responsibility for a portion of his disease... I'm an enabler. I used to supply him with money to do drugs and buy alcohol. I wanted to do anything to make him happy. And I didn't want our kids to see us fighting all the time. And we always fought until he got what he wanted.... Codependence.
Old 02-25-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by zoomer View Post
Why put up with his lies, why don't you move out or kick him out?
Just to add: I asked myself this question many times over. Y do I put up with it? Because I love him... it's like he's my addiction.