Notices

So my husband is at home right now

Old 02-25-2009, 06:19 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to SR!

Have you read Melody Beatties books: Co dependant No More and Beyond Codependancy? Excellent place to start.

I'm an alcoholic in recovery. I'm married to an active alcoholic. We are currently separated. There are other alcoholics posting under F&F who will share their experience with you as well as offer support for living with an active alcoholic.

F&F is also active with members that are in recovery from Codependancy. You are welcome to post all over these boards! However, our alcoholic peers use this area to focus on their needs. Our codependant peers use F&F to focus on their personal needs.

SR is a wonderful place for support and information for everyone. Please read some of the stickies at the top of F&F from people who have gone through what you are experiencing.

For me, this link was an eye-opener, as an alcoholic, to understand how my mind, body and soul were addicted to alcohol:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 02-25-2009, 06:41 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Thanks Pelican! I've never read the book... But I'll look for it and read it asap!
Old 02-25-2009, 07:07 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
ever closer...

His rock bottom may just be you cutting him out completly. Watch a few Interventions on A&E and then ask yourself what you are willing to do or willing to put up with. You need to take a good hard look at yourself and not worry how it will effect him. He will either get it or he'll die. Hate to be harsh but it is what it is and you are only fostering the problem. Run quick to an Alanon meeting and talk to some folfs face 2 face.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:10 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Originally Posted by verity29 View Post
Your husband is in the grip of a disease called alcoholism. He is sick and cannot get better by himself. If your husband were a diabetic or had cancer he would not improve without medication. The only effective "medication" now for your husband is AA. But he must come to this conclusion himself.
This is just not true. Yes, alcoholism is now widely accepted as a disease. But the only way an alcoholic can get better is by himself. With support, yes, but we have to do the work. And I'm sorry, but presenting AA as the only solution is not only misleading, it's dangerous. AA is wonderful, but it is not the only solution. Her husband needs support, wherever he may find it.

Do what you must to help your husband through this particularly nasty spell. After all he is a human being and no one deserves to be left to die like that. When it is over you must make a decision about your own life. It seems that you have reached a point of such resentment and anger that it cannot benefit either you or your husband to carry on like this.
Again, I feel this is a terribly irresponsible message to be sending. Yesterdaysnumb needs to take care of herself first and foremost. I don't know about you, but I deserved all the resentment and anger that was directed at me. To get better I needed support, but not enabling.
Old 02-25-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by beingjenagain View Post
His rock bottom may just be you cutting him out completly. Watch a few Interventions on A&E and then ask yourself what you are willing to do or willing to put up with. You need to take a good hard look at yourself and not worry how it will effect him. He will either get it or he'll die. Hate to be harsh but it is what it is and you are only fostering the problem. Run quick to an Alanon meeting and talk to some folfs face 2 face.
I understand what you're stating here. But I don't have Alanon in my area that has babysitting during the times that I'm not at work. I don't have anyone to watch my children, I dont' have the ability to take of work to go, and I don't have any way of attending the meeting. I tried to go one time and my best friend watched my children for me (very rare) and only one person showed up. It wasn't productive. They don't have those things here in Cleveland, OH unless I wanted to go to a meeting on 9:00 on a weekday which I just can't do.

Is there anyway of me recovering other than Alanon? It doesn't seem that way....
Old 02-25-2009, 07:33 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I am glad you posted here. I don't go to family and friends section as i would not have anything productive to say. I am best friends with my exgf in sobriety and i cannot understand why she hung around for so long. I have little sympathy but do have empathy for your situation, to me this is just the same as if he was beating you everyday and i would still ask why youb were with him and im sure the answer would be the same. If he was beating you there are womens shelters akll over the country, yeah its not a 4 star hotel and it isn't your home but at least you get away from it. Is there nothing you can do to get away or get him away into a long term rehab?

My family letting me always come back with 0 cash and drinking more than ever didn't help me to get better it just helped to stretch out the time it took for me to actually get to a point where it was do or die. Whilst drinking i could not be more grateful to everone who helped me, but now sober i just don't want to know. It sounds like you might have a plan, and if there are kids involved then i guess that might make it harder but you need to stop being a part of this.

I've got the best enabler story ever, my grandmother the crazy old witch 'nursed' her mother for 18 years of her mother's life (the end of it). Apparently my great grand mother was a drunk and decided to put herself to bed 18 years before she died, there was nothing physically wrong with her at the time all mental problems. My grandmother told me stroies before she died of how she would look after her mother by bringing her scotch, a certain measure so many times a day. Of course my great grandmothers physical state got worse as anyones would being bed ridden and she got the physical problems she wanted and died a slow death in the end still being tea spooned whisky. How ****** up is that, its like that film misery but worse.

maybe put him to bed??!!

Please don't get upset with anything i have said, im just posting my experiences and opinions that's all. I hope it gets better for you!
Old 02-25-2009, 08:00 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Originally Posted by Yesterdaysnumb View Post
Is there anyway of me recovering other than Alanon? It doesn't seem that way....

Sure there is! Individual counseling or therapy. I see by your signature you have chosen scripture from the bible. If you are religious, seek counseling through your local church. Also, you may be able to arrange a babysitter through church so that you can attend alanon.

I found your cities website for alanon meetings. Wow! You have a lot of choices!
Cleveland, Ohio Area Al-Anon

There are contact numbers for the meetings. You might try calling some of the closest meetings and ask if your children would be able to sit in a nearby room and color or can they sit in the room with you during the meeting. The meetings last an hour.

Taking care of you is a journey that begins with you.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:18 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by yeahgr8 View Post
I am glad you posted here. I don't go to family and friends section as i would not have anything productive to say. I am best friends with my exgf in sobriety and i cannot understand why she hung around for so long. I have little sympathy but do have empathy for your situation, to me this is just the same as if he was beating you everyday and i would still ask why youb were with him and im sure the answer would be the same. If he was beating you there are womens shelters akll over the country, yeah its not a 4 star hotel and it isn't your home but at least you get away from it. Is there nothing you can do to get away or get him away into a long term rehab?

My family letting me always come back with 0 cash and drinking more than ever didn't help me to get better it just helped to stretch out the time it took for me to actually get to a point where it was do or die. Whilst drinking i could not be more grateful to everone who helped me, but now sober i just don't want to know. It sounds like you might have a plan, and if there are kids involved then i guess that might make it harder but you need to stop being a part of this.

I've got the best enabler story ever, my grandmother the crazy old witch 'nursed' her mother for 18 years of her mother's life (the end of it). Apparently my great grand mother was a drunk and decided to put herself to bed 18 years before she died, there was nothing physically wrong with her at the time all mental problems. My grandmother told me stroies before she died of how she would look after her mother by bringing her scotch, a certain measure so many times a day. Of course my great grandmothers physical state got worse as anyones would being bed ridden and she got the physical problems she wanted and died a slow death in the end still being tea spooned whisky. How ****** up is that, its like that film misery but worse.

maybe put him to bed??!!

Please don't get upset with anything i have said, im just posting my experiences and opinions that's all. I hope it gets better for you!
I'm not upset at all. I certaintly understand what you're saying. And you're right. I keep him from hitting rock bottom. Here's a portion of a poem that I wrote that describes exactly what you're saying that I'm doing:

"Straining to see the light at the end of this tunnel
Realizing it's within your reach, my pride won't let you reach out and touch rock bottom
My legs buckle from carrying your misery on my shoulders
My hands are stained from days of wiping your tears
My fingers are worn from nights of rewriting your story
Praying my revisions will make tomorrow reach unmarred destinations"

I need to leave, but right now I'm just trying to detach from him. We have three children 5, 1, and 4 months. It's hard with the kids you know...
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pelican View Post
Sure there is! Individual counseling or therapy. I see by your signature you have chosen scripture from the bible. If you are religious, seek counseling through your local church. Also, you may be able to arrange a babysitter through church so that you can attend alanon.

I found your cities website for alanon meetings. Wow! You have a lot of choices!
Cleveland, Ohio Area Al-Anon

There are contact numbers for the meetings. You might try calling some of the closest meetings and ask if your children would be able to sit in a nearby room and color or can they sit in the room with you during the meeting. The meetings last an hour.

Taking care of you is a journey that begins with you.
Thanks so much! Yes, I've gotten Individual counseling three times and each time they always tell me the same thing, "well it seems like you have everything together and you're doing well for yourself." But I'm not. And they just talk to me, no help. I can talk to everyone here... For some reason maybe I seem too calm and collected and I should come in there crying and screaming

But I'm sick of acting like a victim. I'm tired of it.

Also, I've called the Alanon meetings that were close to me and the ones that don't have BS (babysitting) listed don't allow children. And I have small children so they can't be left alone and they'd probably be disturbing to others if I let them sit in.

I don't mean to make excuses. I am truly trying but it's hard. Everyone in my church family is supportive of me and tells me to leave... but no one's there to help me when he's gone. My parents tell me "I told you so" and "Why did you put yourself in this position in the first place". Although he's a complete ******* when he's using, he's truly helpful when sober. But I can't live off the hope that it'll stay that way.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hi tellus. Only my opinion, we all have them or should be able to have them. I certainly do not inend to "endanger" anyone.

I think i did say that only Yestedaysnumb husband must come to his own realisation himself about his problem and that she must do what is best for herself in the end.

However i do not think that leaving someone who is so ill and may be in danger of dying without help would be the right thing to do. I would not like to have that on my conscience.

Yes of course the lady has every right to be angry but as an alcoholic i do feel for her husband too. I grew up in an alcoholic home also and felt i hated my father at times but now he is ill from his alcoholism. While i will not enable his drinking i would not turn my back if he needed that sort of help.

Maybe i was strong on the AA thing. Sorry of course there is other means of help. If this ladys husband wants to try those the very best of luck. I just know it works for me and countless others.
Old 02-25-2009, 08:38 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Hi tellus. Only my opinion, we all have them or should be able to have them. I certainly do not inend to "endanger" anyone.

I think i did say that only Yestedaysnumb husband must come to his own realisation himself about his problem and that she must do what is best for herself in the end.

However i do not think that leaving someone who is so ill and may be in danger of dying without help would be the right thing to do. I would not like to have that on my conscience.

Yes of course the lady has every right to be angry but as an alcoholic i do feel for her husband too. I grew up in an alcoholic home also and felt i hated my father at times but now he is ill from his alcoholism. While i will not enable his drinking i would not turn my back if he needed medical help.

Again i would like to emphasise this is only my opinion having been on both sides of the affliction. No offence meant.
I was strong on the AA thing. Sorry of course there is other means of help. If this ladys husband wants to try those the very best of luck. I just know it works for me and countless others.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:08 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Send him to resonance treatment, i did that, it is where they get you to hold 2 magnetized rods for about 4 hours each day for 2 days. Then they give you a magnetized piece of metal and pills to take every day. It costs about $2000. Or alternatively get him to hold 2 dishwashing brushes for 4 hours a day, give him a small one to carry around with some small vitamin c tablets to take daily. This saves the $2000 and is just as effective.

Seriously though hes got to go to rehab of some sort hasn't he? If he isn't willing to help himself and go to AA sign him over to somewhere he will thank you when he's sober or leave you, win win!
Old 02-25-2009, 09:27 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

What about the kids? That seems like a no-brainer, but while you're stuck in excuses and enabling, they're suffering. Sorry..that's blunt, but they are the only ones not able to make any choices here, THEY are the victims, why let that happen to your children??. Makes me very sad for them.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:30 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Send him to resonance treatment, i did that, it is where they get you to hold 2 magnetized rods for about 4 hours each day for 2 days. Then they give you a magnetized piece of metal and pills to take every day. It costs about $2000. Or alternatively get him to hold 2 dishwashing brushes for 4 hours a day, give him a small one to carry around with some small vitamin c tablets to take daily. This saves the $2000 and is just as effective.

Seriously though hes got to go to rehab of some sort hasn't he? If he isn't willing to help himself and go to AA sign him over to somewhere he will thank you when he's sober or leave you, win win!

Hahaha! I'll try that tomorrow!

He went to rehab. First of all they said

1. Cocaine, estacy, and wet does not have any withdrawl symptoms so he can't be admitted to rehab for that.

We said okay, that's fine what about his alcohol? They said

2. You have to be experiencing certain withdrawl symptoms in order to be admitted. When we went, he wasn't.

So we came back. They admitted him for 3 days. They only treated his withdrawl symptoms not his addiction. He got a beer the minute he left. It was a waste of 400 dollars.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:31 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

sign him over to somewhere he will thank you when he's sober or leave you, win win!
How do I do that?
Old 02-25-2009, 09:39 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

That sounds like detox, not rehab..
Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
What about the kids? That seems like a no-brainer, but while you're stuck in excuses and enabling, they're suffering. Sorry..that's blunt, but they are the only ones not able to make any choices here, THEY are the victims, why let that happen to your children??. Makes me very sad for them.
I would seem like a no-brainer to someone that isn't experiencing it for themselves. It's a hard decision to leave your husband whom you love more than anything. It's a hard and difficult decision to remove the only father your children have from them when they don't understand why. It's a hard decision to decide to be a single mother of a 4 month old, a 1 year old and a 5year old when you have no help from anyone. It's a really hard decision to decide to make it on your own when you haven't the slightest idea how you and your children will make it financially, mentally and emotionally. It's hard.

Last summer, I did leave him. I was 8 months pregnant. It was the most difficult time of my life. My oldest son cried for his dad daily. He hated me for making his dad leave. I explained to him that his daddy had to leave because he drank too much and he couldn't take care of us anymore. He (of course) didn't understand. I lost my home in foreclosure that month. I had my baby that month (all alone, no family, c-section). And my son started kindergarten and I almost lost my job because I didn't have anyone to care for my children while I worked. I tried to go to jobs and familiy services to get some kind of assistance, but I couldn't prove that we were seperated so they sent me away. It's hard to make a decision to do it all by yourself and give up hope when you intended to love someone for life and for your marriage to work.

Just like an addict makes the wrong decision for the benefit of themselves, enablers make wrong decisions too. In a lot of instances it directly and negatively effects our children.
Old 02-25-2009, 09:46 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by flutter View Post
That sounds like detox, not rehab..
Maybe it is. I'll look up some rehab places and see what the diff is.
Old 02-25-2009, 10:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

I would like to suggest you come on over to our Friends and Familys of Alcoholics Forum:

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

There are lots of GREAT folks there, that have been where you are now. Using various methods (AA, counseling, therapy, reading, etc)they have or are getting through these hard times with their A.

As has been said, this is very difficult for your children. You finding a rehab, you finding a detox, is NOT helping him.

You didn't CAUSE this,

You can't CONTROL this, and

You can't CURE this.

It is all on him. Sounds to me like he has no 'desire' at all to leave his nice 'cushy' situation.

Therefore, over on Friends and Familys there is a lot of really really good ES&H on how to set boundaries (your boundaries) how to keep those boundaries and how to stick to the consequences.

As a 'double winner' (longtime recovery in both AA and AlAnon) I strongly urge you to get over the F&F of Alcoholics forum.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-25-2009, 10:28 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You're absolutely right, and I'm not in your shoes. I grew up in an alcoholic home.. sometimes I get defensive when it comes to kiddos. I hope you find the help you need, and I hope he does too so that he will possibly survive to be a father longer.