Notices

What to expect when you quit?

Old 02-22-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What to expect when you quit?

Hey everyone, new here. Picked the name blooze cause I feel alcohol gives me the blues a lot. I've never really quit more then a week, and I registered here to see what I might expect if I quit for good, and to hopefully meet some good peeps. Guess I'm scared of quitting, I feel my whole life will change, and am scared of the changes that will come. I like going out and drinking, meeting new people, girls, etc.

However, I !HATE how I feel the next day, and sometimes days after. Don't want to go out, don't want to answer the phone, just wanta sit around, browse the internet, smoke pot, etc. I'm a medical MJ patient, and I don't think I'll ever quit smoking. I've talked to a couple people about how I feel the next day after a bender, and they sometimes think it's cause of the pot. The funny thing about that is, when I do quit for a week or 2, I don't get that way when I smoke. I think MJ has a powerful way of making us look deep inside ourselves, and smoking when hungover makes me realize what alcohol is really doing to my body and mind.

I guess what I want to know from everyone is...how did you feel when you quit drinking? I heard it takes a month to a year to feel completely better.

Did you lose friends when you quit? I've heard that people actually gain more friends when they quit, and their not just acquaintances like bar buddies, their actually good friends for life. That's ultimately what I'm after, when I get in these hungover moods, I feel like I don't have any true 'friends'. At least in the new state I moved to. I have friends back home that will be friends till the end of time, sober or not.

Just want some stories about how peoples lives changed. Hopefully for the better. Sick of wasted weekends, I have so much stuff in my mind that I want to accomplish, but a lot of it's not happening. Been drinking heavily for 10+/- years, and have big alcoholics on my dads side of my family. I know my dad would be in a way better place if he could just put down the bottle. aka, the blooze. Think the best advice that has made me want to quit so much is an old teacher saying that it takes 4+ days for you to be yourself after the last drink. And that makes me really think deep do
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's a link with a lot of info here
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

To be honest a lot of what you describe I found associated with smoking pot for 20 years.
I've never had anything to do with taking medical MJ tho, much less smoking it.

Hope the link helps.
D
Old 02-22-2009, 06:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

What I experienced when I quit drinking: A lot of anxiety at first, because I was learning to deal with situations that previously I would have drowned out. Immediately, I felt a heck of a lot healthier: no more clammy sweating, no more shaking, no more awful back pain, no more GI upset. Over the next few months, my mind started getting clearer and I started feeling more comfortable in social situations. Now, just over a year later, I feel smart. That's the biggest benefit, for me. I was bright in high school, but the drinking dumbed me down to the point where I could barely handle my retail job. Now I'm back in school, and absolutely loving it.

Welcome to SR! Stick around, this is a wonderful community.
Old 02-22-2009, 07:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

I suggest you speak with your doctor before quitting abruptly.
As you are using medically prescribed MJ...you obviously have
medical issues going on. Be both safe and sober...

The reason I decided to quit ...I was diagnosed with
situational depression. My doctor suggested I attend aA.

That was the smartest thing I ever did.
My goals and lifestyle changed drastically.

I'm now the woman I wanted to become.

Hope you find your way...sober is best.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Blooze

I'd like to give my input on this one since I have some experiance with the losing "friends" part
Did you lose friends when you quit?
This is the 2nd time in my life that I have really tried hard to get&stay sober. The first time I did was about seven years ago, and I did lose a "friend" back then. Looking back though he wasn't really a "friend" at all.

True friends will stick around you no matter what, weather you drink or not they will be your friend. When I stopped drinking the first time my buddy whom I was always hanging around with for the better part of 5 years all the sudden stopped hanging around with me. I was somewhat hurt at first when that happend, but looking back I understand it better now. I truely believe that Alcoholics attract other alcoholics.

And the reason I feel that is true is because as an alcoholic we are suffering, and other alcoholics hang around us because they are suffering as well, so by hanging around with another alcoholic their lives don't seem so bad by comparison. But once I got sober back that first time my "buddy" stopped hanging around me because I think he didn't like that I was trying to better myself and it made him have to look at the way his life was. And since he didn't want to change his life then it was easier for him to just drift off and find some other friend to hang around with that filled the void I left by not staying in the rut of suffering as a using alcoholic along with him at the bar every night.

So you may lose a person or two that you currently hang around with, but you wont lose any true friends. At least that's the way I feel about it and what happened to me.

Steve
Old 02-24-2009, 05:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

First thing that happened to me was I learned what Saturday and Sundays mornings were.

I never knew during my drinking days because I was never out of bed.

Next I learned that most of my 'friends' were just drinking bubbies, we never truly talked.

(It was always the alcohol talking back and forth - superficial.)

Old 02-24-2009, 09:41 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I learned how few friends I really had when I quit drinking...lol but i do all right....

Quiting drinking made me realize how much of my life I dedicated without even realizing it to thinking or doing anything related to using alcohol. And how now I have so much more time and energy on my hands....and nothing to do! But it feels great, as I am not hung over, and feel truly free and happy for the first time in years. Funny thing about the happy and free part.....I am overall in the toughest spot of my life as a result of my drinking right now But it gets better....now if my girlfriend would change gears with me.....