SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   What was your scariest drunk? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/169869-what-your-scariest-drunk.html)

verity29 02-20-2009 10:10 AM

What was your scariest drunk?

I was talking to friends in AA about our scariest drunk. I mean the times where we found ourselves in a scary situation because of drink.

One of mine was the time went to Spain with a group of people. We all went out to party. The last i remember was dancing in a nightclub the next i was walking alone down a strange, isolated street with no wallet with no idea where i was or where my hotel was.

I did find it in the end because i woke in my hotel room next morning. No idea how......

Thank God i am in recovery.

Bard 02-20-2009 11:09 AM

Quite a few of them. Once at a ACDC concert several years ago I blacked out and when I came to I was no where near the stadium it was at wandering around downown St. Louis in the middle of the night. Not a good place to be. Luckily my group found me and when I came to the next day I was home and had a hangover from hel to answer to.

But in reality I have to say everytime I put a drink in myself could of been a scary experince. Never know when my system would of had enough and shut down.

Trippstar 02-20-2009 11:13 AM

My scariest drunk moment was waking up in ambulance not knowing how I got there.

Apparently I was found unconscious on a path, too be honest I dont know I just woke up in an ambulance.

suki44883 02-20-2009 11:17 AM

The one that got me my DWI and landed me in jail. Scariest and most humiliating thing that ever happened to me.

gmaklay 02-20-2009 11:28 AM

...woke up at some guys house, nekkid, with a poundin' head and a sore butt a little uncomfortable.

Just kidding!!

I went on a week binge which started on a Thursday with 12 or so beers a day which progressed to hard liquor on Sat. night. After having a few drinks with my parents, I didn't feel like I was quite tipsy enough for bed so I made several trips to the "out door kitchen" where my parents stash was. I didn't keep alcohol around because I knew I had a problem by then. I would take hits off the Ezra Brooks straight from the half gallon throughout the night. Finally with a few ambien and the pile of booze I went to bed. Woke up feeling pretty good beings I didn't get hangovers no longer went on about my day. As I would sober up by mid morning I would have to go back and hit the bottle again. Needless to say I blew off work took vacation and finished the half gallon of whiskey, half gallon of gin (also straight) and another 1/4 of a gallon of Ezra (in another hiding spot) before Wednesday while maintaining my beer drinking every evening with my dad. ....yeah do the math. That was aaaaalot of alcohol to put away in just a few days. When I sobered my self up I had the worst immediate withdrawals I had ever had. I actually had hallucinations, I was hearing things. I seen people in my family that had been dead for years in my so called sleep. After a week in bed I finally started to function a little.

CarolD 02-20-2009 12:07 PM

The most dangerous thing I did when drinking
was picking up strangers in bars.
:brick:

That early morning ...
"What's your name again honey?"
happened way way too often.

I could have been murdered.

4dogsandakid 02-20-2009 02:23 PM

My husband was away for the weekend, and my daughter was napping in her crib. I had already been drinking all day and passed out on the sofa. When I woke up it was 5 p.m. and 2 hrs past when she should have been up from her nap. She was still in her crib, but I don't know if she called for me or anything.

Very scary.

Not scary enough to stop though. That was months ago and today is day 1 for me.

MagicMan08 02-20-2009 03:41 PM

Hmmm....several

Waking up to police super glueing a cut on my hand together after passing out in the doorway of an apartment building I didn't live in, bleeding....jeans ripped....no clue how I got there...and then spending the next 48 hrs in mandatory detox

Falling down the stairs and splliting my head open while drunk, because I was reaching for my cellphone going down the stairs in a hurry and missed a step. I stood up and finished down the stairs, and walk out to my brother who was outside picking me up to take me home after a fight with my girlfriend. I say to him something happened and blood is pouring out of my head...(he said he was waiting for a while, but I am almost 100% sure I fell down and got right up, but dazed and dizzy, if any of you have gotten punched or hit in the head you know the feeling) Luckily it was in my hair just off of my main forehead area....(luuucky)

Being wasted in a bar and getting hit over the head and the back with a bar chair....and not able to defend myself. He later claimed I wiped spit on his shirt....(the bright cop filed the same disorderly conduct charges against both of us......nothing else. I wish I could hit someone over the head with a chair and get away with it) This one still peeves me to this day........The fact that I was assaulted and could not do anything about it......kills me.

Kellye C 02-20-2009 06:24 PM

Waking up after blackouts with no CLUE what I may have done or said and what lies I might have to tell to get and/or keep myself out of hot water.

Buying a gallon of whiskey with the thought of it lasting a week and coming to two days later, on a Sunday when the liquor stores are closed, in full-blown withdrawals and hungover as h*ll. Happened way to many times towards the end of my drinking career.

Thank God I don't have to live that way today!
Kellye

allport 02-20-2009 09:33 PM

I never think about my scary moments when drunk (and there have been many) just because I always took the stance that it could have been worse.

I have been going over things recently and this thread has made me realise I am possibly the luckiest person alive.

Forgetting the blackouts and waking up in strange places that I used to take for granted, I almost burned alive because I was drunk.

I had been reading late at night by candlelight (who knows why? it seemed like a good idea at the time) and I went to bed without extinguishing the candles.

I was only saved because my cat jumped up and down on me until i woke up.

The flat I lived in was completely burned out and I was left with nothing but the clothes I had on (sleeping in my clothes was par for the course for me).

Did it stop me drinking?

What do you think, for a while yes but not a long while.

I've sort of blocked out the events of that night, not consiously, but I should always remember how close I came and how lucky I am.

tiburon88 02-20-2009 10:10 PM

There has been many scary incidents. They usually involve ER rooms, jail cells or car crashes.

tib

nobodyknows 02-20-2009 10:27 PM

i didnt think i drank too much but i started to black out and started hallucinating that i was talking to aliens that were going to take me away, and i was like "nooo not yet i cant go yet"
pretty sure i was going to die there.

DayWalker 02-20-2009 11:20 PM

August 27th 2001...I was drunk off my A** and stupid enough to be driving. I managed to stuff my car under an 18 wheeler far enough where it took 2 tow trucks to pull it out from under it. I should have been dead, but as drunk as I was my body was limber and I came out of it with only bruises and a few cuts from the glass from the windsheild. That was the day that started me on being 6 yrs sober. How quickly I forgot.....

Worst night of my life. That night ended up costing me 27 days in jail. Should have learned my lesson, but didn't.

Second one...was being a boucer at a bar back in 2003 and getting stabbed in the arm while breaking up a fight in the parking lot ( I was drunk of course) still have the scar to remind me of that night.

Steve

penny74 02-21-2009 08:10 AM

l went to Crete alone on holidyas.
Can't remember a thing..
Came back pailer than when l left.

VeritasAequitas 02-21-2009 08:58 AM

In all honesty the first time I tried alcohol - even though I didn't get drunk it woke up the beast.

AAdentistAA 02-22-2009 06:12 PM

I took some otc sleep aid to ensure sleep because I knew I might have a little bit of withdrawal due to the rather large binge I just finished. I woke up with horrible pain in my chest and thought I was having a heart attack, I was so scared that I began to have a panic attack which made everything worse. I tried to rationalize that I was not having a heart attack and that I only feel like this when I have been drinking too much.
I put on some deflective positive self-help malarky and I was like, "I am fine, I am fine." Then without warning I was just convinced that I was going to die and that I had squandered my mission on earth. I spent the whole night trying to stay awake to ensure that I would breathe and I tried to do deep breathing. I do not remember falling asleep, but I was greatful that I awoke the next day that's for sure.

thisisme 02-23-2009 06:25 AM

That would be my next sip of alcohol.

collinsmi 02-23-2009 07:00 AM

Almost getting arrested for being sloppy drunk and violating the national insult law in Turkey. Waking up one morning next to a pile of vomit on my pillow.

least 02-23-2009 11:09 AM

My scariest drunk hasn't happened yet... and I'm trying to make sure it never does.

CAPTAINZING2000 02-23-2009 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by thisisme (Post 2121294)
That would be my next sip of alcohol.

Amen to that one