Notices

Drinking in the morning

Old 02-17-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Drinking in the morning

Anyone ever done this? I've found myself doing it on occasion if I've had a really bad hangover.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

When I was drinking a bottle or more of wine all day long I would wake up with the shakes so bad I drank a glass or two to make them stop. And thus began my day long drinking, just to keep alcohol in my system so withdrawal wouldn't start. That's when I knew I had a serious problem and knew I should stop drinking. It took me months of trying and failing to finally stay sober. Then I had over six months and drank again, stress is no excuse but I drank over it anyway. Then stopped again for a few days then started up and drank for many days.

I knew I needed medical help to stop drinking so I went to the hospital where they gave me a few days of ativan to keep the withdrawal anxiety bearable. Now I'm on day four and feeling hopeful I can do this once more, and do it better.

But for me, drinking in the morning proved to me just how deeply I was addicted and how bad the problem had become. Instead of having my usual cup of coffee for a 'pick me up' I had a glass of wine for a 'take me down'. I didn't like myself that way.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:41 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Yeah, see I was doing this about 18 months ago. Learned after a while that it was setting me up for a bad day, just as you say. So, I went from drinking in the morning to just drinking more later in the day. I enjoyed the alcohol more, but I had just changed the time that I was drinking! But the withdrawls the following morning didn't quite seem as bad.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Don't look back. We are not going that way.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

^ With respect, the whole reason I am here is to be able to speak to someone about what I have been through.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Sure...I drank in the morning sometimes.
Yes..to kick a hangover
Yes...on long weekends...fishing trips...at Brunch

..I owned a wrist watch ...it had only the number
5. Thus...it was cocktail hour ...anytime!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:26 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Did the morning thing on occasion....the perfect set up for a really worthless day for me....

I can relate.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:31 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

I got there in the end too.......swore I would never do it, so had a lot of early lunches.....very early!! Hair of the dog!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 06:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I was having problems waking up with panic attacks and would occasionally hammer down a beer or two for medicine.

P.S. Love Star Trek... I find it.. "fascinating".

Last edited by doorknob; 02-17-2009 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
I was having problems waking up with panic attacks and would occasionally hammer down a beer or two for medicine.
Oh dear, that's nasty. I tend not to get panic attacks in the morning. Instead I just feel so damned tired and foggy if I've been boozing the night before that occasionally I used to need a drink as a "heart starter", if you will, so's I would wake up for the journey to work. Course, what in fact happened was that I was astonishingly tired after a couple hours and then be dreamed of the end of the day, or sometimes even lunchtime, so that I could grab a heart starter...again.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:00 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
P.S. Love Star Trek... I find it.. "fascinating".
Top man.

Star Trek has been something of a refuge for me in life for 30 years, first as a way to deal with bullying at school, then the early pressures of work and now dealing with the drink. Its also taught me a sense of morality that I don't think I would have had had I not spent hours in front of TOS & TNG.

Maybe I should have realised earlier that poisoning one's self is not logical...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:01 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yep, been there too. Course I was the drunk who said I never would.. but I did towards the last month of my drinking career. Before work a few times towards the very very end. Boss noticed, I came clean (well.. not clean but you know what I mean), I stood to lose my job, my husband and eventually my life. Been sober since that day, 62 mornings ago

Usually it was to kill the hangover which usually consisted of a fair amount of shakes, anxiety, blurry headedness. I'd slam a few vodka shots and all would be right in my sick little world. Boy I'm glad I'm done with that sh**!!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 07:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I did that once. I woke up after drinking almost 3 bottles of wine the night before, not remembering most of the evening and feeling like crap. I opened up a bottle and drank right out of it, while hiding from my Husband of course. After a few sips I began to feel "better" It was right then and there that I no longer had a doubt about my alcohol problems and I no longer wished to live that way. I had known for years but *THAT* moment, was the point of no return. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since. My drinking years are so over it's not even funny...
Old 02-17-2009, 07:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Mariposa18 View Post
I did that once. I woke up after drinking almost 3 bottles of wine the night before, not remembering most of the evening and feeling like crap. I opened up a bottle and drank right out of it, while hiding from my Husband of course. After a few sips I began to feel "better" It was right then and there that I no longer had a doubt about my alcohol problems and I no longer wished to live that way. I had known for years but *THAT* moment, was the point of no return. I haven't had a drop of alcohol since. My drinking years are so over it's not even funny...
You're lucky that once was enough. My problem has been that I had knew there was an alcohol issue, but I'd tell myself to put it off for the next day.....or that I was just having the one drink to give myself enough energy to get on with the day.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:13 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Yes, somewhere in the progression of my Alcoholism I started drinking in the mornings upon arising.

Then as the progression continued, I just drank all the time, thought i had 'solved' the 'hangover problem.' Oh I had such good 'alcoholic thinking' back then.

Many on here know, I took my alcoholism to the MAX. Ended up living on the streets for the last year and a half of my drinking and died in the ER. Yeah, died. But for whatever reason my heart started on it's own as they were writing the TOD on my chart.

So, obviously, alcohol has become a problem for you. There are ways to not drink again, and really really ENJOY life sober.

It's a lot of HARD WORK, but in my book very well worth it.

Stick around, keep reading, there is lots and lots of really GREAT Experience, Strength and Hope (ES&H) here from some really good folks.

Btw, I LOVE your signature pic. Like your handle too, as I am very familiar with the stories of Chupacabra, living here in the Southwest for so long.

Love and hugs,
Old 02-17-2009, 08:33 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

In the very end, I drank in the morning once in a while. A glass of wine or a shot of vodka to start the day. And of course, it never really made the day better -- just fed the obsession to drink more, and plan the next drink, etc. The positive aspect of this is that it left me no option but to conclude I really had a problem with alcohol.

It is really scary to think how I fell into that. So glad not to be there now!!!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:25 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Absolutely. I remember mornings where I would wake up and just want to be dead. The only way to get past it in any way was to get some alcohol in my system. No amount of caffeine or vitamins would get me past it. Sure it was a wakeup call but not for me so much as I didn't do it on a regular basis. If you're pounding alcohol in the mornings, wake up. That is no way to live. Neither is doing it to get over the occasional hangover, but hey I've been there, done that.

Now if you are drinking every night and using it as an excuse to "sleep better". You need a wake up call...like I did.........that is no way to live either! <- Sorry for the thread hijack!
Old 02-17-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

If it wasn't a working day for me,
I would usually polish off any alcohol left over from the night before.

Countless times I drank at least 6 beers before noon, then went out for more.
I figured there would be less chance of a DUI in the middle of the day.

Sometimes, if I had passed out drunk really early the night before, I would be up at 5am
again drinking.

In that case, usually I had everything polished off by 8am.
Then I would sit, fidgeting and watching the clock, till the 10am liquor store opening.

I did this for many years.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:44 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Yes I did, on the weekends. Oh, and when I was working from home I would drink in the morning. I would be sleepy by the afternoon, have a nap, then start again in the evening. That's pretty sad, but that's how it develops.
Old 02-17-2009, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

During my drinking "career" I was a binge drinker and would drink until about 6am, fall asleep (pass out) for a few hours then wake up and instantly start again. I realised that as soon as I started doing this I was in serious trouble. For a few years I was unable to drink for just one night and then stop, it was always for at least 3 days round the clock. Didn't leave the house, get dressed or anything just hid away in my bedroom drinking, it was bloody awful and I will NEVER go back to this. Thank you for posting this thread it has helped reaffirm my dedication to sobriety