Notices

Drinking in the morning

Old 02-19-2009, 02:39 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Surlyredhead View Post
At the end of my drinking career, I was drinking at least a half pint of vodka as soon as I woke up just to function, on a bad day, it might take a full pint to stop shaking. It was h*ll.
I went through a period of about a month a year and a half ago drinking a bottle and a half of Vodka a day. But I couldn't function at all. I would take a swing just as it began to wear of because I didn't have the energy to do anything else. Those days were absolute hell. At least now, although I have since still been a drinker, I do not let myself get dragged down into that sort of behaviour. I think I sort of "saw the light" and saw that there was a problem and ever since have slowly been mentally conditioning myself to face to the reality and desire not to drink any more. It's largely reduced and the times that I've felt bad and withdrawn have been intermixed with period during which I've felt much better so it's made it clear to me that I need to properly give up because there is a reward of health and happiness on the way. I'm just hoping that I'm not too far gone that I will end up feeling anxious on and off once I have fully quit. But I don't think that will be the case based on how I've been when I've had a few weeks off the drink.
Old 02-19-2009, 03:05 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

ozpugh.....
Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

Congratulations on your sober time...
Old 02-19-2009, 05:31 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Just wanted to say this is a great thread and although i never took that morning drink if i go back to drinking i can see this would be my next thing and some of your posts...jeez i don't want that, thanks all!
Old 02-19-2009, 06:27 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Does drinking at 5:00 in the morning because you're still out from the night before count? Done that a million times.
I never want a drink when i wake up though, as i always feel so terribly sick and just want to slowly recover with food and soft drinks through out the day.
Lots of my friends do it all the time though. It's like they are a "different type" of alcoholic to me.

Very interesting to read what you guys have to say.
Good luck to you all.
Old 02-19-2009, 08:14 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

^ We'll I think most of us did that even when we weren't drunks!!!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

as a cure for a hangover. A "recovery" beer...Just so l could get to the shop and buy more..
Old 02-19-2009, 10:02 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

24/7 except New Years Eve and New Years Day(Go figure?)
Old 02-20-2009, 02:05 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

^ Curious choice of days to break the rule.....why was that?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:22 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

It's so curious reading how each person's drinking has formed. For me, I guess it depends what you call "morning." The thing is, in the end I'd drink all night until morning, then sleep until the afternoon, and be drinking again as soon as I could in the evening.

And yet, for some reason, I've never drunk "in the morning" if I've got up "in the morning." In fact I've rarely started drinking in the afternoon. The reason? Because whenever I've started drinking in the afternoon it's always the same progression: beers until they're all gone or I want to move up to wine until it's all gone or I want to move up to spirits until I pass out - which could be literally days later, with no sleep, and it would always end very, very baaaad.

So, I made myself a rule. I realised that my drinking career was at terrible risk if I drank that way - some busy-body would take it off me. So I organised my drinking to be at home, and at night, and cut out as much risk of witnesses as I could. I managed to keep that up for years.

Wow, how my family has suffered.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

^ I can't believe you went days without sleeping. I would have passed out ages before. Hell, one of the reasons that my drinking is cyclicle at the moment is because after a major session I am often so tired that I need a few rinses by the afternoon just to see me through to bed time. For me, its the exhaustive quality of drinking that gets to me most. Back in the early days, before the withdrawals and compulsion to drink arrived, I used to get terribly tired after a booze up and I'd feel pretty rough al the day through until I hit the sack in the evening for some refreshing sleep. Oh how I would give real money to have those days back again.......
Old 02-20-2009, 02:46 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Well, when I did that I was a fairly young guy, and a rock n' roll drummer in a rock n' roll band. Days and nights just rolled together. Alcohol gave me energy, all the time - especially when I got to spirits. No matter how tired I was, spirits would wake me up, and I would rather take another swig than sleep anyway.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Wink Oh yes!

I can identify wil those of you who say while they were working they didnt drink in the morning. I was one of those, but come the weekend I drank from 5pm on Friday through to midnight on Sunday with no distinction between day and night. The only consideration was did I have enough alcohol and was I able to get some more. The only think that stopped me from drinking every morning was the knowledge I neede to drive to work and pretend to function. My journey to work each morning was consumed with obsessive thoughts about when I could drink next, what was immediately available to me when I got home, would I have to stop and get more on the way home, where I would buy the alcohol (like many others, I varied the shops I bought from because I didn't want to look suspiscious, though of course I didn't have a problem!

It amuses me to realise one of the few times I tried to control my drinking myself the method I chose was to stay at work later each day. I became the last one to leave the building. It didnt work. All I succeeded in doing was putting off the inevitable for an extra hour or so. Also, my home was such a pit even I didnt want to spend time there unless on my journey to oblivion.

Very pleased to say it's not like that now!

Am very grateful for finding this website and I look forward to spending more time here reading and sharing ES&H with you good people! Have a great 24!
Old 02-20-2009, 02:50 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Hi Marges, and a very warm welcome to SR. Great first post, and congratulations on finding your sobriety.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:12 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Too be honest I am drinking 24/7 at the mintue. I wake up with a racing heart and just down a couple ciders to stop it. I am getting like 2-3 hours sleep at a time.

Its not good sleep just knock out sleep.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Marges View Post
I can identify wil those of you who say while they were working they didnt drink in the morning. I was one of those, but come the weekend I drank from 5pm on Friday through to midnight on Sunday with no distinction between day and night. The only consideration was did I have enough alcohol and was I able to get some more. The only think that stopped me from drinking every morning was the knowledge I neede to drive to work and pretend to function. My journey to work each morning was consumed with obsessive thoughts about when I could drink next, what was immediately available to me when I got home, would I have to stop and get more on the way home, where I would buy the alcohol (like many others, I varied the shops I bought from because I didn't want to look suspiscious, though of course I didn't have a problem!

It amuses me to realise one of the few times I tried to control my drinking myself the method I chose was to stay at work later each day. I became the last one to leave the building. It didnt work. All I succeeded in doing was putting off the inevitable for an extra hour or so. Also, my home was such a pit even I didnt want to spend time there unless on my journey to oblivion.

Very pleased to say it's not like that now!

Am very grateful for finding this website and I look forward to spending more time here reading and sharing ES&H with you good people! Have a great 24!
How long have you been sober?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:26 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Trippstar View Post
Too be honest I am drinking 24/7 at the mintue. I wake up with a racing heart and just down a couple ciders to stop it. I am getting like 2-3 hours sleep at a time.

Its not good sleep just knock out sleep.
How much do you drink?
Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Marges....Welcome to our recovery community
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Trippstar....
I am sorry you are still drinking.
Please consider seeing your doctor

I know you have been trying to quit for awhile.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:56 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

ElChupacabra....

Do you have a plan for quitting?
Old 02-20-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
ElChupacabra....

Do you have a plan for quitting?
I'm on it. Cold Turkey! Today is day 3.... I'm weak and in withdrawls and worst of all I am at work and need to survive for another 5hrs, 20mins, which is causing the kind of anxiety that could make a man faint....which is amajor fear for me because I've never fainted before, even during past withdrawls.