Notices

Drinking in the morning

Old 02-17-2009, 12:58 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Sure. Drinking in the morning was a good way to lessen the hangovers. But being the good functioning alcoholic I was/am, I wouldn't drink on workdays. I'd just go in shaking and sweating and smelling like a brewery. "I'm here to work!" Yeah..right.
Old 02-17-2009, 02:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

EC

For quite some time until the end I woke up with W/D's. Had to have a 'wake up call' to stop the shaking and nausea. My brain was foggy until the 1st few stayed down. I worked in a field with way to much working out of the house time. Often I'd start in the am and keep going until 9pm or so until I went to bed and started over again. How pathetic I was.

So I know all about morning drinking and it is definately a sign to make a huge change. (I guess unless you work third shift and stop once in a while!) I can now actually sleep in better since the time between my last drink and the symptoms was getting shorter and shorter.

Good Luck to you! Lots of good people around here!
Old 02-17-2009, 02:47 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Nope never although most of my non alchie friends would if they had a heavy one! This meant that i was gasping for a beer/shot come afternoon just to make me feel better!
Old 02-17-2009, 03:17 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I got to the point where I was drinking anytime I wasn't at work. A few years ago I found myself taking a couple shots before work. At one point I was coming home from work and drinking on my lunch hour. Needless to say, if I woke up and didn't have to work I would finish off what was left of my stash. More often than not once that was gone I was on my way to get more. It is a progressive disease.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:33 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

1: star trek=amazing
2: yeah i would wake up and be like, well, ill only have 1 beer, and then i'd have the whole 12 pack and be sick by 10 pm
ive also drank before work and come into work drunk.
Old 02-17-2009, 07:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
problem with authority

The last year of my drinking (2007)...I was pretty much drunk from 6pm Friday to 2am Mon. The absolute worst would be waking up at 6am on Sunday (after passing out whenever), and realizing that no beer or liquor could be purchased until noon.
Old 02-17-2009, 08:24 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FightingIrish View Post
The last year of my drinking (2007)...I was pretty much drunk from 6pm Friday to 2am Mon. The absolute worst would be waking up at 6am on Sunday (after passing out whenever), and realizing that no beer or liquor could be purchased until noon.

aaaah yes i would wake up at 6 am and take benadryl to sleep till the stores opened
Old 02-17-2009, 11:02 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I drank basically 24/7. I would wake up with "holiday heart" and drink until my resting rate was below 90 but hey that was okay because it was noon. Nevermind that I woke up 15 minutes earlier because I went to bed at 6am.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:46 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

When I was at my worst any time was time for a drink, the only time I didn't have drink with me was when I had no money, even then I would beg, borrow or steal.

I think that morning drinking is one of those lines that once crossed is with you for ever, I know if I went back to drinking full time, I would be drinking at all times of the day before I knew it.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

^ This is what I'm afraid of. At the moment the only reason I don't drink in the mornings is because I know I need to let my body climb down from the drink from the day before and so I suffer through a working day of withdrawls so as to put myself in place for a drink after work that will be more enjoyable....having woken up a bit! Otherwise if I drank 24/7 I know I wouldn't be able to function in life to any extent as I would kill my remaining energy!
Old 02-18-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

I still remember the first time I ever drank in the morning. It was after a New Years party where I had actually had the sense not to get in the car and drive. Several of us woke up and well, there was half a keg of beer and we just started the party back up. Several hours later, I was on the road driving. So much for good sense. I also remember having this vague notion that I had crossed some kind of line.

Seven years later, I spent the last 9 months before I entered treatment drinking every morning. There was no way I could get out the door and make it through a day at work without a couple of hastily swallowed beers or glasses of wine. Booze had become medicine to me.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:35 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

I would wake up at 3am, after the initial buzz wore off, and have back at it with the beer left in the fridge.
Then maybe wait till the liquor store opened at 8 and get more.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:53 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

good message

i have been sober for almost six years now and i made the choice to give up in order to get it all back. i would rather live sober in a small apt. then live drunk in a condo on the hill.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:45 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I did that quite a bit, but not as a hangover remedy. I work at home doing phone sales and if I would get an irate or rude customer, I'd hit the fridge for a beer or even a mixed drink as early as 8 am. Some days I would just wake up and say, "I'm going to get drunk today" and just go at it.

29 Days sober.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Strangef8 View Post
I did that quite a bit, but not as a hangover remedy. I work at home doing phone sales and if I would get an irate or rude customer, I'd hit the fridge for a beer or even a mixed drink as early as 8 am. Some days I would just wake up and say, "I'm going to get drunk today" and just go at it.

29 Days sober.
Yeah, I had a few "going to get drunk days" as well. It would take a couple days off, when the misses was on a long shift, and just hit the sauce on purpose and I thought it would be fun in an otherwise depressing life. Of Course it was only a little while ago that I realised what was making me depressed in the first place!
Old 02-18-2009, 09:49 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
ever closer...

I liked drinking in the morning with noone home better than any other time of the day. I could finish off a 6 pack by the time Regis and Kelly were over!! What a mess I was!!!!!
Old 02-18-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I have drank in the morning a lot. It started out as kind of an early morning before work "pick me up" but quickly progressed to be much worse. I took alcohol to the office and would drink pure vodka out of a water bottle at my desk while steadily chomping on mints. Eventually I would leave and just disappear around 1 pm. Then I stopped showing up altogether on Mondays because I wouldn't be able to sober up for the whole day after a weekend binge. This is why I just got fired (see my other posts).

Good Topic. I always have to remember that no matter how bad it's gotten, it can always get better if I stay sober and worse if I drink.
Old 02-18-2009, 12:40 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good thread to remind us how bad it was. I drank in the mornings but only on weekends. After all I had to work all week didn't I deserve to be happy all weekend long and not just on weekend nights. Sunday was my last day off and I wasn't going to spend that day feeling awful- I would much rather wait until Monday to go to work sick. The rest of the week I would work, feel ok, go to the gym and not drink but give me a day off and I drank. This worked for a few years. This past year due to illnesses I had quite a few days off so naturally that meant drinking days. The last 2 weeks of my drinking career I needed the alcohol to make a 90 mile ride home to go to work on Monday morning. The second Monday I got called into HR. The next day I was in rehab. I know I was bad but somehow I feel lucky because I was very close to drinking every day.

More to the point I think the mornings came about because I would just start drinking earlier and earlier. You know the 5:00 rule just kept getting lower and lower until it didn't exist anymore.

Thanks for the thread - I was a mess and such an embarressment to me and my family. I'm still amazed how I didn't acknowledge it until it was so far gone.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:00 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

At the end of my drinking career, I was drinking at least a half pint of vodka as soon as I woke up just to function, on a bad day, it might take a full pint to stop shaking. It was h*ll.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:47 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
trying to get it right

24/7

that is the way i drank? so stupid!