Notices

In a mess

Old 02-16-2009, 03:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

In a mess

Hi all,

I have finally accepted that i am an alcoholic. After trying to control my drinking many times i ahve to accept i am licked.

I tried AA before but felt out of place as i am a periodic. I don't drink every day but when i start i can't stop with disastrous consequences for me and for everyone around me.

I know this is only the start and that things can only get worse from here on in. I want to stop and get better before i reach this point but don't know where to begin..

I am afraid to go back to AA for the reasons i said. Do i have to lose everything before i can reach a turning point?

I have already lost friends and respect because of my drinking , i don't want to lose any more.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You're exactly like me.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A 3 day weekend is the worst thing. I have a little bit left now and I have to taper off to get through the day and get back to work tomorrow. I don't do this every weekend, but I've become an expert.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

And me, Verity. I am on day three. I don't want to lose it this time.

I think my "periodic" approach to alcohol is one of the excuses I used to deny I had a problem.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I wish they had a special weekend AA group. I'm freaking out right now. I can't relate to anyone/anything.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi

Yeah exactly the same. I read your post just after i sent mine. Let me tell you it doesn't get any better. Have you tried AA yourself?:
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I just feel so lonely and low. I went out Saturday night with my Fiance for a "romantic" night. Got stucj into the "one" glass of wine. Don't remember much about the romance. Such a nightmare! We are geting married in a few months and i'm scared one glass of champagne and i will turn into the bride from hell and ruin my own wedding day.

I can just see myself now at the top table talking gobbledogook!
Old 02-16-2009, 04:10 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
And me, Verity. I am on day three. I don't want to lose it this time.

I think my "periodic" approach to alcohol is one of the excuses I used to deny I had a problem.
I admitted my problem to myself years ago. But I've kept on making excuses. It's not out of control in the sense that I decide when to let it get out of control. A conscious decision. But once I make that decision it's all downhill. I've lost friends. Nothing else yet, but that's enough right?

Many of friends are in the same place, so they're still around....

I'm having a really hard time today. Thanks for listening.

I just want a hug and I don't want to do this again next weekend.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Ready,

Well why don't we keep posting see what happens? Sending you a hug.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Theresa,

I know what you're saying. I know this "periodic" thing is jst the beginning if i don't get it together. The periods are getting more frequent and so are the blackouts.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Where are you? Chances are good that there is an AA group 7 days a week. I live in a medium sized city and we have 400 meetings per week here.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi,

I live in Sligo, Ireland. I asked AA to send me a list of meetings which i still have. Like i said i know they are probably my best support but i'm afraid they will judge me.

The last time i was there it seemed to be full of people who lost absolutely everything through drink and i felt pretty pathetic with my tales even though they have caused me endless torment and shame.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by verity29 View Post
Hi Ready,

Well why don't we keep posting see what happens? Sending you a hug.
I think I finally hit that "rock bottom" I always heard about. I don't want to admit it but I'm falling apart. I want someone else to take control right now because I can't. And it won't be AA because I'm not going for that higher power stuff.

I wish I could reach out to family and friends for help but I'm OK 99% of the time.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:02 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to an alcohol counselor, 4 months sober, and i mean sober which means continuing to work towards a better me and dealing with the underlying issues which were a reason for my sefl medication. Don't misunderstand the underlying issues reference, it makes me laugh when people say yeah but i don't have any issues, of course there are thats why people drink so much it is a legal drug lol

I thanked god this morning when i got out of my car with the shopping, it is a beautiful day and i am sober and happy, i feel content in my own skin and lucky to be alive. I have no idea what god is btw, nor do i pray etc. but felt i had to thank somebody other than myself. Maybe i could have said thanks very much destiny, or chaos theory, or fate, or if you like my left vans shoe whatever floats your boat. Don't get bogged down in that?!

Life is so ******* great, it gets a lot better and i can see that. You have to change the way you think and live though and that is something that i need to keep working on otherwise i will drink again. I have given up loads of times for a couple of months and gone straight back to drinking, its crazy that i thought i could do it by myself!

When i was drinking i was on a six figure salary and never lost my job etc. My turning point was that i had enough and was not prepared to live that way anymore and thought well i either check out or get help. At 37 lol i guess you get it when you get it?! Hope you get it today, get help and get on board, have all the hope in the world you will do it:-)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

You've already lost so much. Don't wait until you hit rock bottom. Stop today. I've only got 47 days, but my self worth is already sooooooooooo much better! You can make ammends to friends, everyone makes mistakes, everyone is human. This is a disease. Take control of your life. Be strong. Being on this site is a great start. Please let us know what we can do to support you. You can do this. A new life awaits!!!!!

:ghug3
Old 02-16-2009, 09:45 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I did not lose material things when I was a drinker.
I also know many many other AA's who quit drinking
because they wanted to make a better sober future.

My personal bottom was mental. Depression got me
into AA and it's been working great...

Hope everyone can find their way because
Recovery Really Rocks!
Old 02-16-2009, 09:52 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Let's look at some facts...

Progression of Alcoholism

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
Old 02-16-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Verity: It is so nice that you have your wedding day to look forward to! Keep this at the forefront of your thoughts.

Some of us just can't drink. I really, really can't. I used to care a great deal about why I can't drink, but I am beginning to see that this is my way of not accepting it: really, what does it matter why I can't drink? It just makes me crazy, unconscious, and sick.

You are going to have a beautiful wedding day, and alcohol is not going to be one of your guests. When is your wedding date?

Let's keep posting.
Old 02-16-2009, 11:35 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

RTC: First, I send you a big hug.

Then let's plan to stay close to the forum this weekend so that neither of us does it again this weekend, okay?
Old 02-18-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

Hi Verity29,
There is a meeting tomorrow night in Sligo town...8.30pm, (opp. sligo catheral) why dont you try going there and tell them what you said here, I sure heard it.

I have finally accepted that i am an alcoholic. After trying to control my drinking many times i ahve to accept i am licked.
There is no one going to judge you because you did not drink every day,many of us did not drink every day but when we did drink we could not stop. It sounds to be like you have lost enough ...your peace of mind for a start.
If you want a contact number for sligo A.A PM me and I will gladly pass it on, as well as meetings and times. your in luck are plenty of meetings in your area. hope that helps.