Notices

Weekend alcoholic

Old 02-16-2009, 03:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Weekend alcoholic

3 day weekends are the worst.

I don't even do it every weekend. But once I pick up a drink, I can't stop. I end up in bed all weekend with a bottle next to me.

Then I go back to work during the week and lead a normal life.

That goes on for a while, then I have another "bad weekend".

I know what it is but I'm having a hard time accepting it.

DENIAL.

It's not every day and it's not out of control because I choose to do it, and I choose when it starts and ends.

Everything I just typed is a mess. That's why I'm here.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:00 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
maklay

That was my problem exactly... I was a binge drinker also. It was pretty hard on my body. However, here I am, sober and with people who care...

Nice to see you here...
Old 02-16-2009, 04:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I am a binge drinker, too: "once I pick up, I can't stop" pretty well describes me. However, I have been a little sneaky in that I will stop drinking completely, think I have it under control, and then have the occasional drink for a week or two. Then, whoosh, next thing I know, I will have an evening where I drink everything in sight...

What a waste of life, hey?
Valentine's is my sobriety date: wish me well as I wish you well.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Theresa View Post
I am a binge drinker, too: "once I pick up, I can't stop" pretty well describes me. However, I have been a little sneaky in that I will stop drinking completely, think I have it under control, and then have the occasional drink for a week or two. Then, whoosh, next thing I know, I will have an evening where I drink everything in sight...

What a waste of life, hey?
Valentine's is my sobriety date: wish me well as I wish you well.
I'm not sure where I will end up but I wish you well.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gmaklay View Post
That was my problem exactly... I was a binge drinker also. It was pretty hard on my body. However, here I am, sober and with people who care...

Nice to see you here...
Sometimes I think it's harder. I can't relate to people that drink every day. It's probably the same thing but I can't.....
Old 02-16-2009, 04:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

^ I have exactly the same problem. I had two golden weeks and then went mad weekend before last. Felt rough all last week. Had a three day weekend and now I feel even worse. I feel such a fool. I should have been sensible and kept off the sauce completely. Instead I am sitting at my desk feeling sorry for myself and wondering when this godawful brain fog will lift.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ElChupacabra View Post
^ I have exactly the same problem. I had two golden weeks and then went mad weekend before last. Felt rough all last week. Had a three day weekend and now I feel even worse. I feel such a fool. I should have been sensible and kept off the sauce completely. Instead I am sitting at my desk feeling sorry for myself and wondering when this godawful brain fog will lift.
"brain fog"

Good description

That and the shaky hands....I often wonder if other people notice. They probably do
Old 02-16-2009, 04:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Ready to Change View Post
Sometimes I think it's harder. I can't relate to people that drink every day. It's probably the same thing but I can't.....
I know how you feel. Only for three months 2 years ago have I ever had drinks daily and that made me ill beyond belief. The problem that I have is mainly that I know can't handle the withdrawls all that well so if I have a three day weekend, or even one day's binge, I then lead a miserable week thereafter. Thats why I have to stop now. The effects have become intolerable.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:24 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Worn out by booze

Originally Posted by Ready to Change View Post
"brain fog"

Good description

That and the shaky hands....I often wonder if other people notice. They probably do
I tend not to get shakey hands...my fingers often hurt though.
Old 02-16-2009, 04:29 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

It's time to stop. But we all know that.

I'm a wreck right now..
Old 02-16-2009, 06:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I drank exactly like that when i was 30, in fact i would go out on a big night till 6am and then not drink for a week or two, and then back again! Wow that was 7 years ago, last year i was drinking every day. I guess thats why they call it a progressive disease. I always thought that alchies would drink in the morning and would be bums basically, bnoy was i wrong. I am so glad that i progressed to drinking every day and then finally am getting sober, otherwise i could have done the binge drinking bollocks for maybe another 10 years an d be 47 and just getting sober or never at all.

You can wait till you hit rock bottom which is a loooong was away from drinking at weekends, when i hit rock bottom i was and am living in Barcelona, on a sifx figure salary and work 1 day a week in the office the rest of the time i potter about doing what the **** i want. Even in these seemingly dreamy circumstances i sat 4 months ago trying to determine whether i shoudl end it all or try and get help.

Rock bottom was great though, definitely an experince, i wouldn't recommend it though unless you damn sure you can get back up again;-)
Old 02-16-2009, 06:29 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

"WeekendBinger" here....I stopped drinking on January 1st ....after a New Years Eve binge....falling down drunk making an idiot of myself in public. I also did not drink everyday. I haven't had withdrawal symptoms. I just have to make the right decision not to have that first drink on weekends. It has not been easy but my life already is sooooooooo much better.

If you are sick and tired of being wasted, sick of feeling like crap, sick of living in a fog as life passes you by, you can stop. How is your drinking affecting the people you love??? Please let us know what we can do to support you. There are many people on SR that have the same "problem" you do.....and it IS a huge problem. Take baby steps. You can do it!

:ghug
Old 02-16-2009, 10:02 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I just shared this on another thread

but I want you to see it too Ready...
here are some solid facts about alcoholism

Progression of Alcoholism

Here's how alcoholism typically progresses:

SOCIAL DRINKERS — Most Americans are characterized as social drinkers. Statistics indicate, however, that one of every 16 drinkers will become alcoholic.

WARNING SIGNS — The individual begins to drink more frequently and more than his associates. He drinks for confidence or to tolerate or escape problems. No party or other occasion is complete without a couple of drinks. Driving and drinking become routine.

EARLY ALCOHOLISM — With increasing frequency, the individual drinks too much. "Blackouts," or temporary amnesia, occur during or following drinking episodes. He drinks more rapidly than others, sneaks drinks and in other ways conceals the quantity that he drinks. He resents any reference to his drinking habits.

BASIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual begins to lose control as to the time, place and amount of his drinking. He gets drunk unintentionally. He hides and protects his liquor supply. He drinks to overcome the hangover from his prior drinking. He tries new patterns of drinking as to time and place of drinking. He attempts cures by moving to new locations or by changing his drinking companions.

CHRONIC ALCOHOLISM — The individual becomes a loner in his drinking. He develops alibis, excuses and rationalizations to cover up or explain his drinking. Personality and behavior changes occur that affect all relationships — family, employment, community. Extended binges, physical tremors, hallucinations and delirium, complete rejection of social reality, malnutrition with accompanying illness and disease and early death all occur as chronic alcoholism progresses.

Source: American Medical Association
If you are an alcoholic...things do not improve with time.
Hope you find your way into a healthier sober life...