Notices

Some bad news

Old 02-14-2009, 09:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some bad news

I'm dealin with some new's tonight which is really hurting me. I'm about 30 days sober, and I just got a call from my best friend of the past 7 yrs tonight. he's been having prob's with his back for yrs now, but this past week they told him it's for sure MS (multiple scorsese).

We talked on the phone for the past hour, and he seem's somewhat okay with this...but I know it's harder for him than he leads on. And I'm havin a real hard time dealin with this right now. I know it's no reason to drink, but I'm rationalizing right now that it's a good reason to deal with things.

This is the biggest urge I have had in the past month....

Steve
Old 02-14-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

You're going to face other sadness in your sobriety. Drinking over anything doesn't solve the problem. Drinking, usually just adds to a bad situation and makes it a lot worse !
Old 02-14-2009, 09:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, Capt...I know your right, it's just a bit hard to deal with at the moment. Just having a hard time dealing with this right now and needing to stop myself from useing this as an excuse to drink again.

Fist big hurdle I have had to face I guess.

Steve
Old 02-14-2009, 10:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Might offer some encouragement to your friend.

He's going to need your support. It's about him and his trials and tribulations
Old 02-15-2009, 05:05 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

yep Steve ,it`s hard to be of real service drunk or hungover.We have several people here with MS.They do go thru a lot and have a lot of pain.If we drink over negative emotions we may never make it because as you know,they are going to happen.Good thing you came here and got it out.If it was me,I would say a few prayers,one for him and anoither asking for help with the thoughts of drinking.hang in there,be a good friend.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:05 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Steve,

Who do you heal if you drink? Who do you comfort if you drink? You have made a good start on your New Life and frankly there is no good reason to drink unless you are not done drinking. Move forward, be resolute and keep walking tall in your sobriety!
Old 02-15-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey daywalker, this could be the first great, defining moment of your sobriety, when you can be thankful that you were able to be sober and available for your friend when he needed you.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:29 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Hey, Day...hope all is well with you.

For me, EVERY new thing I did sober was more stressful than usual. Family reunions, business dinners, holidays, heck....even clipping my toe nails!

Be gentle with yourself...and take pride in knowing, you are NOT drinking.
Old 02-15-2009, 07:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Mornin

When I told my therapist that "I feel GREAT! No cravings, I feel so far from alcohol it's AMAZING" he reminded me that things happen life that can literally bring us to our knees. THAT is what we have to be prepared for, because it unfortunately happens, life happens still sober or drunk.

If you ever want to talk about MS, PM me... I have a LOT of experience in this area, I counsel people living with the disease as my career.

These are the true tests of strength, you can pass with flying colors, your friend would likely benefit much more from a clear headed strong shoulder to 'cry' on right now versus a drunk/hungover/foggy headed friend, ya know?
Old 02-15-2009, 11:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers going out to the two of you Steve
Old 02-15-2009, 11:43 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
I'm dealin with some new's tonight which is really hurting me. I'm about 30 days sober, and I just got a call from my best friend of the past 7 yrs tonight. he's been having prob's with his back for yrs now, but this past week they told him it's for sure MS (multiple scorsese).

We talked on the phone for the past hour, and he seem's somewhat okay with this...but I know it's harder for him than he leads on. And I'm havin a real hard time dealin with this right now. I know it's no reason to drink, but I'm rationalizing right now that it's a good reason to deal with things.

This is the biggest urge I have had in the past month....

Steve

Really sorry to hear that about your friend Steve. That is hard news to absorb, BUT I can't see a reason to drink here. You would not be dealing with things if you drank because you would really just be putting them on hold until you got sober so you could then deal with them rationally. I think and I hope this won't upset you, that it may be an excuse to drink. You've gone 30 days and are sober. I wonder if this is the first thing you've had an encounter with in those 30 days and if not, you must have found other ways to deal with stress. Just a thought.
Old 02-15-2009, 06:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's horrible to hear of your friend. My aunt died many years ago of MS related problems. It is a terrible disease indeed, although I have heard of people with mild forms that progress very slowly.

As others have said, the best thing you can do right now is be a friend to your friend. The other good thing you can do is cherish your own health, and that means not drinking. Good luck.