Notices

My Situation..

Old 02-14-2009, 08:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My Situation..

Hey everyone - new here.

I'm not sober. I haven't done anything to begin that process - except decide that i probably need to. Let me tell you all about my situation though..

I'm 22 years old, and extremely busy. I work full time, go to class full time, and do some free lance work as well - I get up at 6, leave my house at 730 and dont get home till 9 most nights. I recently have become more and more stressed out. Its this stress that has led me to sneaking drinks at work, and immediately getting drunk when i get home at night. I'm training to run a marathon in 12 weeks, and each day when i run, i am so dehydrated from the binge the night before. Training would be so much easier with out this... haha.... this on top of small things in my life starting to slip through the cracks has me concerned.

I used to have a cocaine problem that i overcame pretty easily, but for some reason this feels different

Nice to meet you all.

D.

Well,
Old 02-14-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can relate dude. Alcohol was my demon, nothing matched it, and I always came back toit when other substances held little attraction for me.

You are at a great place for support, have you looked at AA or any other programs?
Old 02-14-2009, 09:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Everyone in life has stress. Your life doesn't sound abnormally stressful to me. It sounds like the issue is alcohol/drugs. There are a lot more stories of truly unimaginable stress on this board and elsewhere. You are saying that overwork is your excuse/impetus for drinking. For some, it is extreme boredom and nothing to do. So I don't think it is the long hours that are the cause of your problem. I suspect you might have this same issue regardless of your workload. For me, the more work I have to do, the less I think about drinking.
Old 02-15-2009, 01:32 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi DP,
It was good to read your post. I don't know whether you have an alcohol problem or not - you might - but I can share this.

You're an athlete and must love running. When I was your age I was playing college baseball and in the summer I played in the amateur leagues around Boston. I was no superstar or anything, I just loved the game... every part of it. It was a very important part of my life. I thought I loved baseball more than anything.

Gradually, however, alcohol took over. Each year it became harder and harder to show up for practice, run sprints, flag down fly balls, hit BP...by age thirty I could no longer make the effort. Baseball had become another thing I left behind in order to drink like I now had to.

If you love running like I love baseball, try putting down the bottle. It'll be worth it.

Mike

Postscript: At age 40, with 4 years of sobriety, I made the All-Star team in the Mass Amateur League. Two nights before the game I broke my arm pitching... never got to play. I've got a two year old son (Liam), though, with a mean fastball!

Good luck, DP
Old 02-15-2009, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi DP. All I can say is please don't go down the path of using alcohol to cope with life, its dangerous game of russian roulette. I did it and ended with a severe alcohol problem.
Maybe google how to cope with stress, read books on stress management, visit your doctor and be honest with him, anything but alcohol!
The good thing is your on here excepting you have a problem that's a big step. Good luck and I hope you find harmony soon.
Old 02-15-2009, 11:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi....
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum.