Notices

"The Alcoholism and Addiction Cure"

Old 02-19-2009, 10:27 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Too far from the beach

Wow. I am glad you liked it. I just ordered it on ebay and I should get it next few days. Reading these books really helps. I have been 95% sober for the past year and I am proud I have not had too many relapses (although I had a small one recently, nothing crazy). Can't wait to see what it is all about since I am not much into AA.
Old 02-19-2009, 02:27 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

What if this book IS the answer to solving alcoholism? What would the AA masses do?
We would do what we have always done, trust God, clean house, help other people. WHy would we do anything else????

'm only a third of the way through the book but my question is this...if you heal the reasons you drink/use and have decent amount of time under your belt to heal (be cured) why can't you have a glass of wine with dinner say five years from now?

If you can't that seems to support the disease concept. If you are healed/cured you should be able to have a glass of wine because you are no longer drinking to escape.
IF a smoker gets lung cancer and seeks treatment and gets "cured" can they smoke again??? Sure they can, but why would they? WOuldn't that be insanity??? For those who have recovered from alcoholic insanity, why would we choose to pick up the very thing that made us so sick? This isn't like getting over a phobia
Old 02-19-2009, 03:31 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

I think the point is that it works for some people.....
Old 02-19-2009, 03:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

I have been researching the book and author and I agree with a lot of his premises and the way he looks at addiction. I did find some negative articles and I thought this one was kind of interesting:

Los Angeles News - Addiction: Buying the Cure at Passages Malibu - page 1

From the people that are reading the book or have read it what are your thoughts on the article's POV?
Old 02-19-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

I read the interview. Pretty interesting. For me...I am glad that I didnt go there..for one...I didnt need inpatient treatment but I didnt know that yet...for two it was outrageously expensive even for the clinical services offered....and three I had their magical formula in a book lol Seriously though, it was important for me, it was the first time I had heard of any other options besides AA and that was not an option as far as I was concerned. So it gave me hope, and I do agree with alot of what they say in the book. I don't believe that abusing alcohol is a disease, I do believe that people drink to hide emotions or distract themselves from an unfulfiling life and that alcohol abuse is a symptom of that. Anyway regardless for me if the two are saints or hypocritical liars the book helped me, and that was supposed to be its purpose.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well.....

If anyone requires more assistance with their sobriety
here is a list of recovery programs for you to explore.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html

hope everyone finds their answers...
Old 02-20-2009, 03:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugErspun View Post

As far as being "cured" and no going back to drinking now and again - my biggest problem with alcohol was the inability to leave it alone. I already knew my body had a different reaction than most people, that was easy to see. I knew that once it gets in me I will want more and more. Like someone who has a bad reaction to peanuts and can't seem to avoid eating them even though they go into shock every time - the problem isn't with eating the peanuts, its with continuing to eat them when the results are so very dire.
i have heard and believe that once we pick up where we left off our brains go back to the emotional level we were when we had started drinking. so for me that puts me back to the age of 13!

I found my recovery backwards from AA. I had a spiritual awakening....a life changing experience, and from there i found i had NO NEED for drugs or alcohol or cigarettes or overeating. so many things just fell away from me, i had learned to really love myself, to be very gentle with myself, which included not doing things which were not healthy for me. not all of these things were a conscious reaction either. a 180 degree turnaround. that was 28 years ago. but i still had plenty to learn! I still slipped back-smoked pot when it was offered, drank with others; and here i am again, except with the firm conviction now that i would really rather take a pass than say i can take it or leave it. because i really can't take it or leave it. i need to just leave it.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:40 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by vividserenity View Post
Here is my expirience with that book. I wanted to stop drinking long before I did. I went to counseling..read books....tried to get happy....obviously it didnt work at the time. So I ran across this book in a local, tiny mind you, bookstore. I thought hell, why not, it does say CURE. Of course I was seriously doubtful of that but I thought some help might be nice. See I have never been one for AA, there is no way I would go, this book resonated with everything that I came to believe about my addiction. I was so excited to read it and for the first time really I thought Yup I can stop drinking. So... one courageous night I picked up the phone and called the Passages Center (the place the author and his son put together and run). I wanted to know how much it would cost for a 30 day program..I was excited...sure that I would be able to go if I was just willing....I WAS SO WRONG...Sure I could go if I had $64,000!!!! I felt devastated...there is NO way I could afford that...the guy on the phone said he was a patient there once and that he put a 2nd mortgage on his house to be able to afford it.....

For a while I was very upset and pi*sed off even, but then I realized that was the whole point of the book....it was for those people who couldn't necessarily take the time out or afford such a place. The instructions are there...its a great collection of ideas...it did change my life and in the long run I think it did help me eventually get to sobriety. I think is a great book, I would reccommend it to anyone who has an addiction or anyone who has an addicted person in their lives.

Thanks for reading hehehe
Thank you. This is very well stated.