Notices

made it thru my days off...barely...

Old 02-11-2009, 05:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

made it thru my days off...barely...

I made it through having several days off from work without drinking (for the first time in a very long time!). I usually look forward to having several days off by being able to drink during that time without worrying about any responsibilities. By Monday evening, the cravings were hard, and I actually went out and got some wine. Then, instead of drinking it, I went to the gym and worked out for an hour, took some valerian root, and went to sleep. Last nite, instead of feeling great about my accomplishment (today marks 5 weeks of abstinence), I found myself a little remorseful that I didn't use my time off for drinking, because it would have been enjoyable! How crazy is that? What kept me from drinking the wine the other evening was that while I was driving to the gym, I kept thinking about what the next 7 days would be like if I drank that nite. I would probably have continued to drink the next day, too, since I was off. Then I'd probably return to work feeling physically lousy and guilty. I'd have to confess to the people who are rooting for me that I'd slipped up. I really had no way of predicting how awful things might get if I drank that nite. On the other hand, I knew that if I didn't drink I could fairly well predict how the next 7 days would go...no guilt, efficiency at work, no anxiety or fear of panic attacks...I liked the fact that I could predict how life would probably go if I remained abstinent, whereas if I drank, there would be no knowing how things would go. At any rate, it was a close call, but I made it.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile

ReeneeS: i vividly remember feeling like you have stated more than a few times in early recovery.. the good news is.. it does NOT last! (ODAT) keep on keeping on! congrats on 5 weeks sober!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You thought the drink through...and that's impressive!
Well done on your sober time!
Old 02-11-2009, 06:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Brilliant, stay strong!

Old 02-11-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

This is a very interesting post. You tackled the craving on two fronts, physically by going to the gym and mentally by presenting a rational argument not to drink and thus the monster was starved a little more. Congrats on this victory.