Notices

Some Positivity

Old 02-10-2009, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Some Positivity

I wasn't going to post again until I spent a few days sober. I said that in the middle of feeling sorry for myself and being depressed.

I think I have mood swings, perhaps manic depressive I suspect.

However, today I am feeling extraordinarily positive. A couple of days ago I did a day without drinking. The next day I drank too much. Yesterday I had four and a half beers... I tipped half the fifth bottle out and went to bed, perhaps not completely clean but at least I was sober.

Today I don't intend to drink at all. I don't know what tomorrow brings but after reading on here I've seen you're not supposed to worry about tomorrow.

I have to stop beating myself up for not being perfect. EVERY day I don't drink is a success, even if they're not all in a row. That's what I need to focus on for now.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:59 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are having a new beginning.
I too had false starts until I finally quit.

Yes...SH ...you too can find your way...
Old 02-10-2009, 01:14 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
where the light is

I tend to worry a bit too much about the future. Nothing major but still a pain in the arse .

In addition to AA what really helps me is self-help/spiritual books, specifically Eckhart Tolle's books "A New Earth" and "The Power of Now".

I also found a great sticky at the top of the Sober Recovery "Anxiety Disorders" forum (only took me 14 months to find it!):

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-worrying.html
Old 02-10-2009, 01:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the link, I'll give it a read.

I've found reading on here very helpful. The more you read the more likely you'll come across a nugget or two that works just for you.

Edit: I have had a quick peak and this is definitely a nugget! Thank you. I have a couple of very definite worries right now due to the financial crisis and some other things... I particularly like the bit about postponing your worries... I am definitely going to allocate a time of the day for "problem solving" those things I'm worried about instead of spending the whole day with a general feeling of anxiety in the back of my mind. I'm going out for a wee while but when I get back I'm going over that thread more in depth. Thanks again!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Savage - Many of us do have false starts, I am glad to know that you are not beating yourself up for it. Just stay in today and you will be fine. I see something very special in you and I have already learned alot from you. Glad you joined our family!
Old 02-10-2009, 01:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Hang in there, SH. Who knows what number of sobriety attempt I'm on now? Never give up.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I commend you for wanting to slow down or cut back. I did this for two painful years and 2 dwi's but my life never really improved. During those years I too had the desire to fix my finances and do all kinds of things, but none of them really materialized until I truly got sober. YOU CAN DO IT! And remember I fell down and got back up hundreds of times to get to where I am today. Practice not perfection.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Magicman... I love the counter thing in your signature... even hit refresh to see if it worked (ie updated)... very cool.