Notices

I'm 36...

Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm 36...

too old for you to help, too far away for you to care... nobody really gives a damn if I'm drinking or not, so now that I'm caught in it, how am I supposed to stop... I live miles away from all of you and I'm a hopeless case, I cannot give up... I can't stop, even if I stopped it wouldn't benefit anyone... I can't stop on my own, I know that for a fact now... sorry I've been drinking
Old 02-07-2009, 12:55 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I care, SH.

AA is pretty good for hopeless cases but whatver you do...do something. Rehab, AA or just try not to drink tomorrow and use SR.

I hope you keep posting.

PS
I am 40!
Old 02-07-2009, 01:13 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No one is ever a hopeless case man. I'm about the same age as you (I'm 37) and now I'm 18 days sober "again". I had years sober but went back to it, But did I give up? nope....It's still hard doing this again, but I'm not giving up. And you don't have to ethier.

If you really thought in your head your were truly a hopeless case then you would not have posted here on this site in the first place. But you did, so that shows a need/want for help and that you know you want to stop. So NEVER give up!

Your just another one of us, nothing more nothing less my friend. When it gets hard just reach out. That's how we learn to deal.

Steve
Old 02-07-2009, 01:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
crypticpoet777

"Nobody really gives a damn" but YOU give a damn and you are the most important person in your life right now.
No one can make you to stop drinking, just you, be good to yourself, treat yourself the way you would treat another in trouble.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Gold Member

I'm sorry you feel that way. I was over 40 when I got sober again. Yes, you can teach an old dog new tricks! AA has helped me and also coming to websites such as this one for support. Like the poster said up above, maybe try rehab if you can. Keep sharing what your feeling even if you are still drinking. You never know when things might click into place.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum

I found my way out of a being a hopeless alcoholic
by joining the winners in Alcoholics Anonymous.

Please keep posting with us...many of us understand and care.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Living in sobriety

wow your so young!! I was aound that age when i got sober and I also felt "old" at the time. I was under weight and looked at bit of a state. Since I got sober and my life "began" I look younger(no joke) my face does not look so tight and stressed anymore. My hair shines, my eye whites are white not yellow or red. I go to the gym and watch my figure. I enjoy eating healthy and shopping for clothes. I love walking in the countryside. I also live a bit out of town and it can be quite isolated. ..if I choose to allow it... I felt alone in a crowd though!! I go to meetings I have hobbies and dogs,cats ducks etc love my animals. People that seemed not to care are interested to hear what I have to say now. I like me. I like my own company...............keep coming back here.......recovering alcoholics really do care.....................

Last edited by nelco; 02-07-2009 at 05:53 AM.
Old 02-07-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's never too late.... I'm 52, got sober at 50. Finally found myself in that place of total powerlessness/hopelessness and I surrendered on all levels of my being. It works, you are on the way....Always remember....Don't give up and don't stop trying...Get to a meeting, treatment center, something, just don't stay isolated, there is too much help available to not use it!!!!
Old 02-07-2009, 06:04 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

yep.. everybody said GREAT things so far.. that alcohol WILL depress you to the point of no return if it does not kill you first.. i'm sober again TODAY.. i started my life over after almost checking out of this world a DRUNK! i'll be 44 in march!
Old 02-07-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome!
I got sober again after a 10 year relapse 2 months before my 40th birthday. I feel like my life has started all over again. I am happier than I have ever been and I feel like my whole life is in front of me! join us, we can live happy, joyous and free!
I will be 9 months sober on Monday and I feel so blessed!
Old 02-07-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

See the great thing about this forum is that even though most of us live hundreds, thousands of miles apart, we're all "here" together. Stick around.. You wont stop for anyone else anyways, you're all you got! We're here while you figure that part out
Old 02-07-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Everybody stops on their own to some extent. You're the only one that can actually put the stuff down. Of course, there's nothing wrong with some peer support and medical help if you require it. I'm pushing 40 and have 3 months clean from both alcohol and pot. It definitely takes some effort, but is doable.

Welcome to SR!
Old 02-07-2009, 10:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Sorry for posting while drinking. I'm such a donkey.

I don't seem to have the will power required to stop. Every day I get to that four o'clock in the afternoon time period and the battle starts... and I always lose.

I gave up for a couple of years one other time, I had the will power then... I've been at it for five years this time and I have had enough. But the will power seems to have up and left me.
Old 02-07-2009, 10:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Gold Member

I did it without will power this time. I surrendered (sp) to win. Meaning I knew I was licked and that I could no longer drink. I asked God for help and was willing to follow directions from a few people such as a doctor and shrink and some people in AA. The doctor and shrink said to go to AA. I did (but I knew that they where going to tell me any way) and I did what was told and that is to not drink no matter what, go to 90 meetings in 90 days, get a sponcer and start doing the steps with that sponcer. Someone's thinking had to be better than mine at the time because my thinking would tell me to drink. I'v been sober for over 4 and a half years this time because I was willing and still am to follow directions. I still go to meetings although not as much as before and still have a sponcer and try to work the steps in my everyday life. I'm not sayin git was all that easy,but with help it makes it easier. Go see your doctor and tell him you cannot stop drinking, maybe he will have suggestions for you. Do something with your little bit of willpower that you have left to get started. You came here and thats a good start.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:34 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went to an AA meeting once. Many years ago. It took me all my courage to turn up.

There were only a handful of people there. And nobody spoke to me. The people there, they just didn't seem to know anything, they didn't seem to be achieving anything. I don't remember much but I think there was one person who did a bit of talking and that was it. It was over.

As I said, nobody even talked to me. I didn't think it was very helpful at all.

I don't think I could get what I need from AA. I feel like I need to be locked away so there's no possibility of failure. But in this economic climate and with a business to run it's not practical.

Plus I'm embarrassed and ashamed and don't want anyone in my family or friends to know.

I feel this morning (it's 8:30am here) like I can do it... I just know by this afternoon I'll reason myself into having a drink.

I worry about the effect drinking has on my health. I am noticing little bad things like odd jerking... hard to describe... but I can be sitting still and my arm, leg or head or whatever will just suddenly do a little jerk.

And I've noticed I'm almost becoming dyslexic or something, reading is jumbled and I have to slowly concentrate on what I'm reading.

I'm not sure if these are caused by drinking or not. But I don't want to become a brainless, jerking, dribbling mess sitting in an armchair.

I want to stop and I want it to be tonight.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:39 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Gold Member

No one said you have to go to AA,but there are other programs out there that are helpful. AA just worked for me. Good luck tonight in not drinking. Keep posting on here as much as possible to help you get over the cravings.
Old 02-07-2009, 12:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I am 40 and have tried to get sober a million times.....
I finally "got it" and I am so much happier w life now.
It has its ups and downs but that is life.
I probably wouldnt be alive if I hadnt stoppped.
You CAN do it too !
Old 02-07-2009, 12:47 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Have you considered having an honest talk with your doctor?
De toxing from alcohol can be dangerous and it's a medical issue.

Please take a look at this information ....

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

At lease you can see where you might need assistance.

The AA meeting you attended was a Speakers meetintg
it's unusual that no one said Hello. I much perfer
an Open Discussion format. and there are meeetings
specfically for Newcomers.
I'm not saying you have to go....but don't let one
unpleasant expereince keep you away.

I don't know about you...but everyone I knew was aware
of my drinking. Just the smell is a giveaway....

I'm glad you came back...we do understand and Yes!
you too can find a healthy sober future.

Last edited by CarolD; 02-07-2009 at 02:50 PM.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol...

I'm fairly certain I'll be ok. I'm going to go to the grocery store and buy soft drinks and junk food and eat my way through it tonight, lol. That's the plan.

I might have to post here a few times as I get tempted. Especially in the afternoon.

I realise people know I drink but I am not willing to tell those people I realise I have a problem... It's too humiliating.

As I said, I will probably post again later today... sorry in advance for the moaning I am confident I will do, lol. I just know myself too well.

Thanks to all those who post. It helps a lot to feel like I'm not talking to thin air.
Old 02-07-2009, 01:28 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by SavageHurricane View Post
I'm going to go to the grocery store and buy soft drinks and junk food and eat my way through it tonight, lol. That's the plan.
That sounds like a good plan...and one I use often.