Notices

REBT Books

Old 02-01-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

REBT Books

My mom bought me a couple of REBT based books that I've had for almost 10 years. I read these, but didn't have the sufficient motivation to apply the techniques back then, but I believe I do now. I'm going to share some excerpts from these as I re-read them. The books are:

The Rational Behavioral Alcoholic-Relapse Prevention Treatment Method by Maxie C. Maultsby, Jr., M.D.

and

Alcohol - How To Give It Up And Be Glad You Did by Philip Tate Ph.D
Old 02-01-2009, 04:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I feel sort of like an idiot— what is REBT?
Old 02-01-2009, 04:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Sorry... Rational Emotive Behavioral Therapy.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rationa...havior_therapy
Old 02-01-2009, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

The book by Maultsby was first published in 1978 under the title: A Million Dollars For Your Hangover.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

From the Introduction:

About 10% of Americans are alcoholics. Each year another 200,000 alcohol drinkers become alcoholics. Another 50 to 60 million American lives are harmfully influenced by those alcoholics. The yearly cost to the American economy of it's alcoholics is between 15 and 20 billion dollars. Those facts make alcoholism one of the most common and costly American social health problems.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Habitual alcohol abuse causes alcoholism, but the following three-step medical treatment quickly cures it.

STEP ONE: STOP ALCOHOLIC DRINKING

STEP TWO: MEDICALLY TREAT ALCOHOL WITHDRAWAL

STEP THREE: MEDICALLY TREAT THE ALCOHOL-INDUCED ILLNESSES

A few of the serious alcohol-induced illnesses alcoholics often have are: gastritis, liver damage, anemia, malnutrition and pneumonia. Except for those problems, however, within less than three weeks of good medical care most alcoholics will dry out and be cured. BUT! There's a BIG CATCH-22. CURING ALCOHOLISM DOES NOT STOP HABITUAL ALCOHOL ABUSE: it just delays it. That's why within a year of treatment most cured (dry) alcoholics take a running:

JUMP OFF THE WAGON
Old 02-01-2009, 05:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

That's depressing.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Continued:

THAT'S RIGHT! Alcoholics don't fall off the wagon; they take a running jump. Why? Mainly for two reasons:

1. They are confused about what their main problem is.

2. Their treatment hasn't taught them how to live happily without alcohol.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

This book has some great cartoon illustrations. Maybe I'll see if I can scan some next time I'm at my mom's...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, denial or not realising how alcoholic they are and that abstinence is the only solution.

And

How to cope with life sober. Very important. Any more extracts Paul?
Old 02-02-2009, 05:46 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ever closer...

THAT'S RIGHT! Alcoholics don't fall off the wagon; they take a running jump. Why? Mainly for two reasons:

I don't know about you everyone else but that seems to be where those group of people wth a common thread of not dirinking and being stupid comes in!
Old 02-02-2009, 07:05 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

You bet, Paul!

Unfortunately, most alcoholics mistakenly believe their main problem is alcoholism. That's why it's common to hear them say "Doc, this is the fifth time I've been treated. So this time I want you-all to keep me as long as it takes to really cure me. Give me a triple dose if that's what it takes. I'm really tired of this disease. I don't ever want to have alcoholism again." Such alcoholics are confused. Their main problem is not alcoholism. Their main problem is habitual alcohol abuse, most accurately called HABITUAL PROBLEM DRINKING - that is, drinking to solve personal problems. For such alcoholics to stay cured, they must learn how to solve their problems without alcohol.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:38 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

AA IS ONE WAY

For over forty years, AA (Alcoholics Anonymous) has been proving what recent research clearly shows: problem drinkers can be taught how to stop habitual drinking. But if they stop, they have to do it themselves. All that friends, relatives, physicians, psychotherapists or counselors can do is teach problem drinkers what they need to know to stop drinking. And over a half million dollar in recent research indicated that this NEW SELF-HELP ALCOHOLIC TREATMENT METHOD is as effective as AA in teaching alcoholics to stop problem drinking.
BTW, the bold and all caps are from the book. It's printed up and laid out kinda goofy, but I'm trying to keep it 'as is'. Again, I wish you could see the illustrations!
Old 02-02-2009, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

continued (still from Intro):

WHY A NEW SELF-HELP METHOD IS NEEDED

Almost twice as many alcoholics get treatment from AA than from the medical and other health professionals. Yet, most research studies show that AA does not give any more effective treatment to alcoholics thatn health professionals give. That fact indicates that alcoholics prefer self-help treatment methods to those of traditional health professionals BUT, less than 20 percent of Americans 20 + million alcoholics accept AA's self-help treatment. Consequently, over 80% of America's alcoholics are not receiving any treatment. Obviously, therefore, we need other types of self-help treatment methods that are as effective as AA. That's why I recommend this RELAPSE PREVENTION TREATMENT METHOD.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

For the purpose of this book, I believe when speaking of alcoholism, the author is referring to the physical dependence on alcohol, and problem drinking as the behavior which leads to that dependence.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doorknob View Post
For the purpose of this book, I believe when speaking of alcoholism, the author is referring to the physical dependence on alcohol, and problem drinking as the behavior which leads to that dependence.
Yep, I think so too. It is a bit confusing because as a (former) binge drinker I am not addicted to alcohol but I am deffo an alcoholic.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:49 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Yep, I think so too. It is a bit confusing because as a (former) binge drinker I am not addicted to alcohol but I am deffo an alcoholic.
And I was a daily drinker, but never took it to the level of physical dependence that required any kind of medical detox. But REBT views alcohol abuse as a cognitive-behavioral problem and not a disease. And for me, it doesn't matter whether or not I call myself an alcoholic, I've had very serious problems with drinking over a very long period of time.
Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Yea, it doesn't matter, as long as you know you have to stop.

Also, I don't care if it is a disease or a cog-behavioural problem, though I tend to agreee more with the cog-behavioural label.

The disease model assumes dependancy has to automatically occur. As though all alkies are daily drinkers who are chemically dependant, that is why books like "under the influence" were useless to me.

AA views it from the disease model but they get it right when they say the problem is centered in the mind.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Thanks doorknob for the excerpts. I try to read as much as I can from everywhere. We all seem to be different yet so much the same. I just would like to be cured. Been sober over 6 months so I am on the path just wish I would reach somewhere. Some days are still better than others. Yesterday was a bad day after a good month of January. I hope these used to be drinking days will stop haunting me. Talk about rambling...lol
Old 02-02-2009, 12:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Thank ya, Philly and yer welcome.

You've been sober for twice what I have, so that tells me that I need to be very patient with myself and the process.