Notices

My first post

Old 02-01-2009, 11:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My first post

I'm new here and pretty shaky. I've always known I have "a problem" and have quit drinking several times. I had 3 years in once but started again about 7 years ago. Seemed like a good idea at the time. I have quit about 5 times in the past 2 months and here I am on Day 1 again. My husband is a normal infrequent social drinker. Why he has put up with me for this long I don't know. I don't want to keep doing this to him. Or to me.

So I decided to take a bigger step than I ever have before. I phoned him at work awhile ago and said "I know what I am". He said "what are you?" I said "I'm an alcoholic and I want to get better". I have never admitted that outloud before. He was wonderful and says he will really try to help me.

I spent some time reading these fourms about a week ago and I really think this can help me. And I need a lot of help.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

welcome to SR!

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

[QUOTE

So I decided to take a bigger step than I ever have before. I phoned him at work awhile ago and said "I know what I am". He said "what are you?" I said "I'm an alcoholic and I want to get better". I have never admitted that outloud before. He was wonderful and says he will really try to help me.

I spent some time reading these fourms about a week ago and I really think this can help me. And I need a lot of help.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on your decision, it really will save and enhance your life!
Welcome to SR.
I come here daily for support, fellowship and encouragement.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

welcome

good for you

many of us in here have quit drinking several times. It finally gets to the point though, we have to stop drinking!

Itsure makes a better Sunday waking up an, not coming to
Old 02-01-2009, 11:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

You have come to the right place for support and help and as we help you you can rejoice in the knowledge that you are also helping us. I feel that there is no heirarchy here. It is just a bunch of caring, concerned people helping each other with a common problem. Good luck.
Old 02-01-2009, 11:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hello Yellow Duck. I'm very new around here too, and just taking very early steps in the direction of recovery. I've already learned that everyone here gives help, understanding and support in spades. I too spent some time reading before I took the plunge to make a post... and I've found that making posts and being involved has been yet more helpful still! I wish you strength and success in your journey.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:24 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

YAY yellow!!! This place is great for support, sharing and learning from others. I spent a good year working on myself and when I got settled in to my "new" life I signed up here and really enjoy coming to this site. Lot's of good recovery here. Keep coming back!!
Old 02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Welcome to SR and Congrats on your decision!

It's great that your husband is so supportive mine is too and I often wonder why he puts up with me.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Welcome to SR, Ducky! Great to have ya here!
Old 02-01-2009, 02:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This can be the start of a better future
Congratulations!

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 02-01-2009, 02:44 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
lunarlovelunar

yellowduck, welcome to SR, I'm pretty new here too, there is a lot of support here, I show up at some point everyday. Just one day at a time, thats how I do it, I only deal with whats in front of me right now. Congratulations on making the decision to take care of yourself, to be kind to yourself and the life you have to live.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm new here as well. And like you, I don't know why my husband has put up with it for so long. It was this past week when I decided I needed help and dragged myself to my first AA meeting. I just woke up that day feeling like crap and decided to do something about it. Kinda fighting the itch right now though. Sunday nights are my worst.
Old 02-01-2009, 06:51 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome yellow duck,
I'm new here too, on day two. This website is a big help. Spend a lot of time reading and posting on here, it really does help.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:01 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Good for you, welcome to SR!
Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone for your welcomes and encouragment. Well I got through today fairly well (except for feeling pretty yucky). Off to try and sleep now but probably will be awake all night. I'll be back here tomorrow. Thanks again and best wishes to all.
Old 02-01-2009, 07:29 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Welcome, yellow duck!

How did you maintain 3 years?
Old 02-01-2009, 09:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Well I'm back again tonight. Can't sleep so thought I would read a bit more. I saw your post coffeenut so will attempt to answer. I drank a lot even back then and my husband had gotten (understandably) upset about it. So I made up my mind to quit. I'm not sure how I stayed sober for 3 years; I just did. Once I got past the first couple of weeks it just felt really good. I did it on my own - didn't tell anyone. Most of my drinking has always been at home alone so no-one really seemed to notice that I wasn't drinking. But one summer evening with a bunch of family around I just decided to have a beer with everyone else. Wanted to be normal but I'm not. The last few months has definitely proven that for me; now I have to do something about it. This time I am very glad to have found these forums so I don't feel so alone.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:14 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR. I can't say anything that hasn't already been said, but I wish you luck and look forward to walking the path with you.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi. I made it to Day 2 and I won't drink today. I still don't feel very well but considering I had no sleep at all I'm doing not bad. Got to get back to some real food too, there hasn't been much going down for a few days. I don't understand how I can forget how awful these first few days are and have just done them over and over.
Old 02-02-2009, 09:12 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

As a reminder ....I wrote down my withdrawal symptoms
and when tempted to drink....I read them ..worked well for me.
I never want to go there again....

Here is a link you might find useful

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Glad you are winning over alcohol!