Notices

Let me out

Old 01-30-2009, 06:55 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hey bpb,

Sorry you feel so horrible right now, but glad to see you posting.

I'm so hoping you can find some relief today, that someone returns your calls and you can get some assistance.

You have so much to live for and look forward to, even if it doesn't seem so right now.

Be gentle with yourself; lots of liquids, soft food, and vitamins.

Big hug, bear.

Donna
Old 01-30-2009, 07:43 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thanks all for the kinds words and encouragement.

I've now spoken with the person I'll be seeing in the alcohol team, and he was NOT kind and supportive at all. In fact he was really pretty crappy with me. He says that the earliest I can be seen is on Wednesday the 4th of Feb (5 days), and there will be AT LEAST a two week observation period beyond that before any detox may or may not start.

I haven't contacted the AA or the Salvation Army yet. I'll try that in a little while. I feel too damn sorry for myself right now.
Old 01-30-2009, 07:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Bovine, have you talked with your wife about making plans for childcare for the approx. 5 days you'd be in a detox program somewhere--whether in a detox facility or hospital ward? Are there grandparents who could help? Or maybe your wife would be able to take a week off from her job? If you're having difficulty limiting yourself to even a dozen drinks a day, then you're medically in a bad way. I'm sorry that the treatment options in UK are so limited. I thought services in USA were sucky, but at least people can get into detox or on a hospital unit within days here.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:26 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  
Gold Member

What a bummer! The only thing that I can say is if they are not too worried about you then relax some. You come this far for some reason,so just hold tight for a little while longer. We are here for you!
Old 01-30-2009, 08:47 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

ReneeS - We've just started talking about it. There are no grandparents, no, or siblings, though possibly my eldest daughter could help at need, and also our neighbour. However, I suspect that I will be doing a home detox from what I have been told so far.

And yeah, wow, I just can't believe what's happening with the services. I seriously thought they would beat down my door to help me, but they seemed to think I was a pain in the ass when I wept that I needed to see them NOW.

zoomer - I go from feeling desperate to feeling completely empty, but yeah, all I can do is go through what there is to go through. It's not making any sense to me at all, but I know that for now I just have to get through it somehow and hope that perhaps I'm on my way..... somewhere. I'll keep coming here for help, and I'm going to ask AA for help too.
Old 01-30-2009, 08:53 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

BpB,

Can you get your hands on a Big Book? I am not an AA person but reading it helped me. Also, "Rational Recovery, the Little Book" helped me a lot too.

Please keep trying to get in touch with someone from AA. I don't know how it works in the UK but they could have some contacts or advice on where to get some more immediate help.

Love,

Lenina
Old 01-30-2009, 09:43 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Please see if this link helps you move forward
some of our tips on how to feel better might be useful.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Good to know you are being pro active...
Old 02-01-2009, 11:58 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Lenina - I've been reading bits of the Big Book online, but no I don't have a copy of it. I still need to get to a meeting - taking that step is proving very difficult.

CarolD - Thanks for that. I'd actually read through that thread before, but it was really useful, and twice as eye-opening, to read it again.
Old 02-01-2009, 12:35 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
problem with authority

Sounds like you're pretty comfortable where you're at.
Old 02-01-2009, 01:02 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Sounds like you're pretty comfortable where you're at.
Really? LOL That's absolutely not the case!

I'm trying to follow medical advice to get me through the days to Wednesday, which is when I get to see the alcohol recovery team. It's really hard, like a slow, slow withdrawal, sweats and shakes coming and going all the time while I try to stick to some damn moderation plan I've been given in the meantime. Even after they've seen me, from what I understand I have to wait until they're good and ready to properly detox me.

And once that's done, well then I know I have the really hard work of sobriety to do!

So I'm not comfortable at all. I'm bound in a purgatory, waiting, but while I wait I'm trying to get myself ready as best I can.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:36 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Prayers for keeping you until Wednesday. :praying:

Until then..don't give up.
Old 02-01-2009, 02:42 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Thank you IO. I have no idea what to expect from Wednesday - I'm afraid to hope for too much, but I really need to hope for something. Either way, I'll be be sure to post what happens here on SR.
Old 02-01-2009, 05:30 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

don't know if your around cause it's pretty late where you are...hope you are still hanging in there.....Wednesday will get here and anything you can do to help yourself do including AA, anything that might help.

(hug)
Old 02-02-2009, 09:10 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Hoping and hanging with you...
Old 02-02-2009, 09:37 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi BPB,

Just wanted to say I'm thinking about you, and hoping and waiting for Wednesday with you as well.
Old 02-02-2009, 11:07 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Just thinking about you too and hope all is well today as can be expected.