Notices

Alcohols Disasterous Promises To the Alcoholic

Old 01-29-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohols Disasterous Promises To the Alcoholic

ALCOHOL'S DISASTROUS PROMISES

I have some promises I'll make to you, If you will do what I want you to. The more that you consume of me, The more then will your losses be. Here are the promises to you I make, And I promise the promises never to break.

I promise to take your money, your home And all you can get in the way of a loan. I'll take your character, your reputation to. Your good name, I'll take from you

Your friends I'll take from you one day Your family from you I'll turn away I'll take your car, I'll take your wealth I'll take your job, I'll take your health

I'll take your watch, I'll take your chain,
I'll cause you to stay out in the rain. I'll take your credit, I'll take your bail, I'll cause you to sleep in a dirty jail.

I'll cause your name to go down in shame. I'll bring you misery, I'll bring you woe, I'll bring you trouble more than you know. I'll take your clothes and pawn then too, The necessities of life, I'll take from you. I'll take from you days, I'll take from you years, I'll double the flow of your bitter tears. I'll take your heart, give you one of stone, I'll cause you to walk through life alone.

I'll take away your desire to live a right life, Your light of day I'll turn to night .I'll cause you to dishonor your mother and dad, I'll take all the pleasure you could have had. I'll turn your love for your friends to hate, Your desire to repent will come too late.

Your road to despair for you I'll pave, I'll cause you to fill a premature grave. I'll put you in an institution for the insane, Your normal thinking will go down the drain.

I'll cause you to murder your best friend, I'll trouble your mind to the very end. I'll bring you contention, I'll bring you strife, and I'll finish with you by taking your life.
Old 01-29-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Thanks for posting that

I read that poem or something identical to it my first few months of AA. Left a profounding impact on me.
Old 01-29-2009, 02:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Oh that is really powerful, good and scary all at the same time. Thanks for posting that, I'm going to see if I can save that some where!
Old 01-29-2009, 07:23 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
1 Corinthians 13:1-13 love

I tell you, most all this you will allow me to take
until you become so lost i will simply snatch it away.

WIfe of an AH
Old 01-31-2009, 08:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

That's all stuff I did to myself, or almost did to myself. Any promises that were made, were made by my very own sick brain. All alcohol ever did was obey the laws of containment and gravity. 9 out of 10 never have the problems I had. I convinced myself I was one of them, so I could keep pouring it down the hatch.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That poem gave me chills.
It made my heart break for those who are still drinking...
Thank you for the share... very powerful.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I really needed to be reminded of all those promises. I am receiving the 9th step Promises and what a much better life it is!
Thanks for posting this great reminder of the grave I was drinking myself into.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

All of this is very raw and true for me now. These are powerful words that help me to realise exactly what I've allowed the damned drink to have done, and keep doing to me. I'm doing what I can to make it stop, but right now it's kind of out of my hands in almost every way - whether I give a damn about step 1 or not! I think that's probably a good thing, but whether I'm in the driving seat or not I still need the insights like this.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

It's great to read the AA promises straight after this. Few things could put it more starkly!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:38 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Tomas,

I am happily surprised that you returned to share your experience, strength and hope. Welcome Back!! R
Old 02-04-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

this scared me because it was so true