Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

This is my thread from New.. but the AA forum cab be directly honest faster

Notices

Old 01-27-2009, 08:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'm pissed now. I typed the whole story ten seconds ago and gone... Believe it or not, this is the shortened one. At least I add paragraph breaks...

Long Story Short - I am a hard liquor daily drinker. Last week I felt like I was going to pass out on my way into the school parking lot. I said, "BS" and went to the hospital. My colleagues covered for me several days.

I am type 2 diabetic and high BP & pulse in addition to addiction. I was honest about it all. They leveled me out and now I have a real doctor. The biggest BS is I have meds now and I still drank when released. Today without a hangover I had the best lesson in months. Kids actually listened!

There is an AA meeting about 1 mile from my home, but it looks either infested or condemned (there is duct tape on the door window). Is that what I need to do to make it more than 2 days? I'll hang out with smokers and coffee people. It seems like there may be another AA way...

:I don't coach again until March.

My last period of the day I found myself thinking, "What the hell am I doing tonight? Would you all agree that finding that or another meeting is the only solution? I hate driving at night b/c my bp makes my vision and anxiety poor/increased.

Anyway, I am out there. My best friends (coaches) know about both. My school nurse (awesome) and principal know. My junior students in class are glad I am back and wanted to know if I had a heart attack. I told them that I just had a, "severe allergic reaction...". They wrote me cards and hugs. Maybe I'm too easy on them...!

Trying to bring back the banana.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

There is an AA meeting about 1 mile from my home, but it looks either infested or condemned
Probably both. I bet you'll find people in there recovering though. Besides, it's what's inside that counts. Right?
There's no reason not to go. We don't hold anyone hostage and you're free to leave at any time. Fear tactics and the common sense aproach do not work when explaining why an Alcoholic should quit drinking. We can not reason with the Phenomonon of Craving that is described in the book. Therefore I'll spare you the speil. I do know that there's a reason that Alcoholics quit drinking. Most peoples reasons are different but we find it necessary to quit nonetheless. AA is a good place to tap the experience of those that have been where you are.
Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
huh?

Originally Posted by llenroc66 View Post

There is an AA meeting about 1 mile from my home, but it looks either infested or condemned (there is duct tape on the door window). Is that what I need to do to make it more than 2 days? I'll hang out with smokers and coffee people. It seems like there may be another AA way...

:I don't coach again until March.

My last period of the day I found myself thinking, "What the hell am I doing tonight? Would you all agree that finding that or another meeting is the only solution? I hate driving at night b/c my bp makes my vision and anxiety poor/increased.

Trying to bring back the banana.
Definitely not the only solution. There is nothing wrong with AA for many people. Do a search on the internet and you'll find that the majority of people who have successfully quit drinking and stayed quit did it all on their own, without treatment or any other program. It's called spontaneous remission.

I quit on my own, just started day 13. Had a few days sober before that, but had an fun little vodka blowout.

Whether you're in AA or in no program, it will still be up to you to not pick up that next drink. Not AA nor any coffee drinker or smoker can quit for you.

I like coming to this site. I can read stories on my own time of trials and successes of people in my shoes, who don't react to alcohol like normal people.

I don't necessarily share the views of a lot of folks here, but you know what? That's okay, this is the most free and non-judgmental resource for sobriety I have found yet.

It's good to have you here, and hope you are able to find the life you are looking for.
Old 01-28-2009, 08:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back to SR Coarch!

I'm really glad your under a doctors care.
Be safe and sober too.

In early sobriety...I found an AA meeting that met
before I started work. They also met on weekends.
It was a very pleasant way to begin my new sober life.

Of course AA is not the only way.
We have a sticky post here ...#3
with various programs for you to explore.

Sticky #2 is from the book that finally
convinced me to quit drinking.

I hope you will continue to post with us
You too can win over alcohol!

Last edited by CarolD; 01-28-2009 at 08:35 AM.