Notices

Trying to stay sober

Old 01-26-2009, 08:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to stay sober

Hello I am fairly new here to this site Ive been sober for a year now but recent changes in my life has made it difficult for me to not want to drink. I feel like my life is getting out of control again and I have been tempted to crawl back into the bottle. I still go to AA twice a week and that seems to help.I have not had any thoughts about drinking until about a month ago but like i said I have had many life altering changes since then. Any advice from members will be nice.

Dreamer1911
Old 01-26-2009, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What Step are you working? What does your Sponsor or Home Group have to say? Do you have a Higher Power? Who do you turn your will over to?
Old 01-26-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your recovery time...

I felt solid in my recovery when I started my AA Steps.
I have had many changes ...not always pleasant ones
since then.

Between prayer and my AA commitment I've not returned to drinking.

This can be true for you too...Blessings
Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Carol for the encouragement. I thought that my recovery was going smoothly but it has hit a road block. I am pleased to find such nice people here. I've read alot of posts here to get a feel what kind of people were on here and decided to post for the first time. Thanks for the support to all who have posted here.

Dreamer1911

:ghug
Old 01-26-2009, 04:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi dreamer. I don't have recovery experience to help you with (there are many here who have!) but it might be useful for you to know that there are many danger times in recovery, and the one year anniversary is possibly one of the most difficult.

I hope you find the strength and help you need to make it through .
Old 01-27-2009, 01:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you BovinePieBear for your message. Today my wanting to drink subsided. Thank you for your encouragement. One day at a time I guess
Old 01-27-2009, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Hi Dreamer,

I'm just under 4 months sober and I know I still have trying times. I'm just learning not to automatically think of hitting the bottle any time something stresses me out or doesn't go my way. It was instinct for so long that I have to teach myself new coping techniques.

Do you have any friends that you feel comfortable discussing this type of thing with? We're always here for you as well.

One day at a time for sure. Sometimes one hour at a time. Hang in there, and keep talking to us.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Hey Dreamer,

Hang in there. I don't know if this is helpful but when I feel like drinking because of life situations I write out a list of what they are. I make one list the problem plus drinking and another the problem w/o drinking and then I add time. Like problem at one week with and w/o drinking and what are the causes and effects. It helps me to visualize and in a way "reason" with myself that drinking will only make the problem worse.
Old 01-27-2009, 02:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

Living life on life's terms without drinking.

I have been going through a bit of a rough period in my life. What I have been doing wrong is to try to figure things out by myself. There are all kinds of people in the AA program to talk to. My sponsor, oldtimers - all there to help. We all face our unique challenges and I need the help of people who have a good understanding of where I am coming from, that can advise me on how I can make the program work for me in stressful times.

Bottom line is that this will pass. But we can make it so much easier by reaching out.
Old 01-27-2009, 03:15 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
it's a movie, you're the star

Your recovery time is HUGE!

Try going to more meetings than 2 a week. The more meetings I go to, the better I feel! Also, try calling up other people (either fellow alcoholics or just people in need) and help them out! Step out of yourself and out of your head!

If you need someone to chat with, I'm just a message away!

-Rachel
Old 01-27-2009, 04:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Gold Member

I had many cravings in my 2nd and 3rd year for no reason really. I did as you are doing and reached out and talked about what I was feeling and the cravings I was having. The cravings lifted for the most part now,but I still get those thoughts once in a while. Congrats on one year by the way!