Notices

Sober for 25 days...still have bad symptoms!

Old 01-25-2009, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sober for 25 days...still have bad symptoms!

I binged heavy 4-7 nights a week for about 6 or 7 years. There were many periods of months where I was drinking heavy 7 days a week. I finally landed myself in the hospital after a week long binge that included not much sleep, vomiting, and 24 hours straight of drinking on the final day. Ever since then I have been getting symptoms that include:

-Lightning feeling running throughout my body
-Severe anxiety
-Paranoia (not about anything in particular...just in general..hard to be in public or interact with people sometimes)
-Tingling (pins and needles) through face/arms/legs
-Dry mouth
-Jaw pain
-Waking up many times throughout the night
-Really vivid nightmares
-Visual field seems to be moving around/spinning a bit
-Dizziness
-Shakiness

The above symptoms started after the hospitalization (which was in October of 2007). I continued to binge after the hospitalization and almost ended up in the hospital at least another 5 times since then. After 2 close calls last month in December, I decided I needed to quit for good.

The last time I drank was on new years eve so today is day 25 of being completely sober. I have not even had one drink in 25 days. However, my symptoms continue. I still feel the lightning/energy feeling flowing throughout my body, I get the jaw pain, I get pretty bad anxiety, I get the paranoia, I feel weakness/shakiness, and I still feel the pins and needles. I had made another post where people claimed I should feel better over a period of weeks but I still am getting these symptoms. I am very worried that they are permanent or could be related to something besides alcohol (although they started after I landed myself in the hospital). Stress intensifies all these symptoms immensely.

Can people please assure me that:
1. These symptoms are all indeed most likely due to alcohol withdrawal
2. That they will eventually go away (it would be helpful if you have personal experience in which you still had these types of symptoms after 25 days but eventually they went away with continued abstinence)

I am going to continue to stay sober but my morale is pretty low because I have been sober for weeks and the symptoms persist. I am very worried that they may not be completely related to the alcohol withdrawal. I am also very worried that they may never go away and that I will always feel like this.

Please help...
Old 01-25-2009, 05:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
maklay

Have they slacked down any? Are they as severe as the day they started?

I'm 2 days behind you at this point. The anxiety, dizziness, picking skin, hot cold rushes, and BP spikes have slowed way down. However I just could not shake the nausea, chest and back pains. After a fairly long night I decided to visit the ER this morning. No big rush, no 911, I just got out of bed, took a shower/packed a bag and went. After a few pokes, prods, and a CT scan. I was given a good bill of health with the exception of "possible" acute pancreatitis/gastritis. There was no physical damage to the pancreas that could be seen and the blood work showed that it wasn't impared. The Dr. said it could be under a little stress. So here we go with the clear liquid diet until we see some improvement. He prescribed me some Protonix also.

Have you taken the little trip to get checked out? I feel way better now that I got some concrete evidence that I haven't totally destroyed my internals quite yet.
Old 01-25-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Chris

I read your original post and followed it through.

It occurs to me that most of your symptoms are non-specific. Additionally, it occurs to me that your anxiety over these symptoms maybe causing those very symptoms. Maybe not, but no one but a physician who has the opportunity to talk to you and examine you, can even begin to make a diagnosis.

You should get yourself to a doctor and end your torment. Perhaps your awful anxiety can be treated... Really, quit making yourself crazy. You have 25 days of sobriety. Don't risk losing it over this. See a doctor!

BTW - have you been on any medication recently?

Mark
Old 01-25-2009, 06:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
problem with authority

All I know is that alcohol is a depressant, and when one abuses it for long enough, the body/brain becomes accustomed to equilibrating itself in the presence of this depressant by becoming over-excitatory. This is why a person going through alcohol withdrawal may experience anxiety and may be at risk for seizures, etc.

I would definitely see a doctor, but know that your own a hyper-vigilance may be exaggerating the situation.

From experience it can take a while for the body to heal itself. I would read the stickies on PAWS.

M
Old 01-25-2009, 06:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I'm not a doctor so I can't tell you that what you are feeling is post accute withdrawals or not.

I think you owe it to yourself to see a Dr., just to reassure yourself. You could have something as simple as low blood sugar going on. I think if there was anything else going on, they surely would have noticed it in the blood work they have done everytime you were in the hospital. Everytime someone sets foot in the hospital, you know they take a mess of blood and this is where if anything else was going on would have showed up.

Our disease wants us back. It will try anything to pull you back into it's grip and I think yours is trying to play on your fears by having you think something else is going on. It wants you to run back to the security blanket you used for so long, alcohol.

Hang in there, congratulations on your Sober time and keep us updated!

Peace,
Judy

Old 01-25-2009, 06:37 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

chris, I would really see a doctor. None of us can say that your symptoms are alcohol related or temporary, unfortunately. Everyone's bodies are so different.. I drank longer and harder than what you're describing as your drinking career, and I haven't had the symptoms you have.. maybe 2 or 3 of them, during hangovers.

That's just me tho.. I really strongly encourage you to see a doctor, I have no idea what those symptoms could be from?? A lot of us who drank often and too much likely masked some things that were going on already. Now's the time to deal with what's left.

I'm sure someone will come around with the link to the PAWS sticky.. maybe that's it, but maybe not. You'll likely feel better once you know. If it is something else, most things are best diagnosed and treated early.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Didn't you post pretty much the same message earlier this month? I assume you went to see a doctor as everyone advised. What did the doctor tell you?

As stated in the last thread, if it is alcohol withdrawal or PAWS you are experiencing, it is normal that it would last more than 25 days. My withdrawal anxiety symptoms peaked around 3 weeks after stopping, but persisted for probably another 3 weeks or so. I felt as if they had pretty much gone away after 2 months. If it is not alcohol withdrawal, PAWS, or general anxiety, only a doctor can diagnose what is wrong and how to treat it.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks Ralph...I plan on seeing a doctor this week. My symptoms have been continuing but show slight improvement from week to week. Although some days they are just in full force...which is why I wonder if they are ever going to go away. Did you have the same comprehensive set of symptoms that I did?
Old 01-25-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is the link to your earlier post

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...toms-help.html

Good to know you are finally going to see a doctor.
That's all we can suggest that you do.

Best wishes for your improved health...
Old 01-26-2009, 05:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

ChrisClark, this might be frightening, but it took me 6 months to get rid of my bad symptoms. Then I relapsed its a long road but, get as much support as you can will make things better.

Bless
Old 01-26-2009, 05:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I so recognise these symptoms. (By the way, the lightning shock feeling I get sometimes if I forget to take my Venlafaxine tablet too.) I couldn't cope with them for more than a few hours. How you've done 25 days I don't know. I wish you well, and hope you get some good support from your doctors.
Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bovinePieBear View Post
I so recognise these symptoms. (By the way, the lightning shock feeling I get sometimes if I forget to take my Venlafaxine tablet too.) I couldn't cope with them for more than a few hours. How you've done 25 days I don't know. I wish you well, and hope you get some good support from your doctors.
How long did it take for your symptoms to go away? Did you have the whole comprehensive set of symptoms that I did? Do you think these symptoms will eventually subside if I remain abstinent?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Chris, I didn't manage to get through the symptoms. I'm really worried about saying this to you - please stick with your own success - but I only lasted 4 days before giving in.

However, I had nearly all the symptoms you describe. I am not a doctor but I can tell you this: nearly all of these symptoms can be ascribed to anxiety, probably rather than withdrawal. I have suffered with anxiety problems for pretty much my whole life, so although I'm not medically qualified, I would suggest that you 1) get a check-up to make sure that you're really medically well, and then 2) seek some treatment for your anxiety. Seriously, the pins and needles, paranoia, shakiness, light-headedness, nightmares and so on can ALL be reduced, controlled and even cured by simply learning to relax in the face of stress.

So they tell me. It's hard. But I do know that when I DO manage to calm myself, I don't have the symptoms.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

When is your doctor's appointment?
Old 01-26-2009, 07:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Do discuss this with your doctor. We are all different and have different symptoms after quitting alcohol. It would be impossible, and most unethical, for any of us to 'diagnose' you as we aren't doctors, and even if I were a doctor I wouldn't diagnose anyone over the internet. Please see your doctor for a complete physical as soon as possible. ONly a doctor and medical tests can tell you what you need to know.

:ghug3
Old 05-20-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Did your tingling snd extreme anxiety ever go away?

I have been experiencing everything you've described for a month now. I don't want these symptoms to last forever! I realize you posted this long ago. Hopefully this email finds you. The benIs seem to lessen the symptoms but those have a list of withdrawals by themselves. Heather
Originally Posted by ChrisClark View Post
I binged heavy 4-7 nights a week for about 6 or 7 years. There were many periods of months where I was drinking heavy 7 days a week. I finally landed myself in the hospital after a week long binge that included not much sleep, vomiting, and 24 hours straight of drinking on the final day. Ever since then I have been getting symptoms that include:

-Lightning feeling running throughout my body
-Severe anxiety
-Paranoia (not about anything in particular...just in general..hard to be in public or interact with people sometimes)
-Tingling (pins and needles) through face/arms/legs
-Dry mouth
-Jaw pain
-Waking up many times throughout the night
-Really vivid nightmares
-Visual field seems to be moving around/spinning a bit
-Dizziness
-Shakiness

The above symptoms started after the hospitalization (which was in October of 2007). I continued to binge after the hospitalization and almost ended up in the hospital at least another 5 times since then. After 2 close calls last month in December, I decided I needed to quit for good.

The last time I drank was on new years eve so today is day 25 of being completely sober. I have not even had one drink in 25 days. However, my symptoms continue. I still feel the lightning/energy feeling flowing throughout my body, I get the jaw pain, I get pretty bad anxiety, I get the paranoia, I feel weakness/shakiness, and I still feel the pins and needles. I had made another post where people claimed I should feel better over a period of weeks but I still am getting these symptoms. I am very worried that they are permanent or could be related to something besides alcohol (although they started after I landed myself in the hospital). Stress intensifies all these symptoms immensely.

Can people please assure me that:
1. These symptoms are all indeed most likely due to alcohol withdrawal
2. That they will eventually go away (it would be helpful if you have personal experience in which you still had these types of symptoms after 25 days but eventually they went away with continued abstinence)

I am going to continue to stay sober but my morale is pretty low because I have been sober for weeks and the symptoms persist. I am very worried that they may not be completely related to the alcohol withdrawal. I am also very worried that they may never go away and that I will always feel like this.

Please help...
Old 05-20-2015, 07:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

I had those things the first year of recovery. I considered them PAWS.
Old 05-20-2015, 08:57 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Chris, this is an extreme long shot since its been years but did you ever figure out what was happening? I searched my symptoms and I have a similar history and your posts showed up. Any insight would be great! Thanks