Notices

Going To Outpatient Rehab

Old 01-23-2009, 09:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To thine own self, be true

Question Going To Outpatient Rehab

I attend a woman's addiction group every Tuesday, and I really like it. I've been going for over a year, and it's been helpful in many regards. Still, I'm white-knuckling it right now even though I've been sober for years. I mentioned this to my group leader (an addiction therapist), who knows I've been struggling for awhile, and she wants me to enter the center's four-week Intensive Outpatient Program.

So, after talking it over with family, I decided to agree to go. I'm nervous though! Has anyone done anything like this?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bella_Fox View Post
I attend a woman's addiction group every Tuesday, and I really like it. I've been going for over a year, and it's been helpful in many regards. Still, I'm white-knuckling it right now even though I've been sober for years. I mentioned this to my group leader (an addiction therapist), who knows I've been struggling for awhile, and she wants me to enter the center's four-week Intensive Outpatient Program.

So, after talking it over with family, I decided to agree to go. I'm nervous though! Has anyone done anything like this?
I've been in three OP programs. They were all ok, except for the one where I found out they weren't licensed and had to ask for my money back or report them.

I think it's a good move, but do you have insurance I hope?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Intensive outpatient treatment was really helpful to me. I only stayed in it for half of the 2 month program but I was able to stay sober for 11 months.

I feel like I might have learned more coping skills if I had stayed in the program to the finish but that's in the past. You'll probably gain a lot from the program.
Old 01-24-2009, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Bella....
Good to see you again...I have no experience to share but...
Old 01-24-2009, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

ovesobriety7..
Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum

Please continue to post with us...I'm glad you are here
Old 01-24-2009, 05:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Katie09 View Post
I've been in three OP programs. They were all ok, except for the one where I found out they weren't licensed and had to ask for my money back or report them.

I think it's a good move, but do you have insurance I hope?
Wow, that's terrible! Sorry you had to go through that.

I do have insurance, and this IOP is Harvard-affiliated, and all of my mental health treatments (addiction, eating disorder, PTSD) have been through this particular system. They're wonderful; everyone I've ever dealt with there has been kind, knowledgeable and thorough.

lovessobriety7, thanks for the insights. I plan to stick it through -- my family, my therapist and my group leader will make sure of that.

Hi, CarolD!
Old 01-24-2009, 07:58 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

It can't hurt to go to treatment, right?

Anything you can learn, helps your sobriety grow.
Old 01-26-2009, 12:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Bella I did an outpatient program back in 2002. I found it very helpful at the time and it helped me stay sober for a good number of years. There's some good as well as some bad programs out there, but most of them are pretty helpful. The one I did was twice a week for 2 hrs each time for about 8weeks.

What I liked about it was they actually helped me to understand "what" alcohol was doing to me. Meaning explaining about dopamine and the brain and the mental & physical effects it had on me. I got a lot out of the way they explained that part of it to us.

Give it a try, even if you only get a few things out of it then that's helping at least that much.
Old 01-27-2009, 08:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
Bella I did an outpatient program back in 2002. I found it very helpful at the time and it helped me stay sober for a good number of years. There's some good as well as some bad programs out there, but most of them are pretty helpful. The one I did was twice a week for 2 hrs each time for about 8weeks.

What I liked about it was they actually helped me to understand "what" alcohol was doing to me. Meaning explaining about dopamine and the brain and the mental & physical effects it had on me. I got a lot out of the way they explained that part of it to us.

Give it a try, even if you only get a few things out of it then that's helping at least that much.
Thanks. You're right. And like coffeenut said, it can't HURT to go.
Old 02-03-2009, 08:38 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well, forget the IOP. My insurance is apparently "concerned" about my eating disorder, as well, and they want me to go to a PHP (partial hospitalization program) at a well-known hospital here that specializes in dual-diagnosis of substance abuse, eating disorders, depression and anxiety.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ßrêå†hïñg

I think PHP means you go in the evenings, correct? Anyways it doesn't matter. Sounds like you do require dual diagnosis treatment. Take it! I've learned to love every bout of rehab treatment I've experienced. After the first week, it's almost like a daily vacation - you're surrounded by so much positive energy.

I hope your experience is a great one.

edit: Don't get me wrong, there will be a lot of work involved. But you'll have loads of help along the way - people to relate to instead of having them criticize, etc.

k bye

Last edited by stainedglass; 02-03-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:13 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks, stainedglass.

Actually, PHP means five days a week, about six hours a day. Blah. But I suppose it will be good for me.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:03 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
ßrêå†hïñg

Yeah ok. My outpatient treatments were M-F from 8-5. And I believe the PHP was held in the evenings. Sort of another option for those who simply cannot take off from work.

Anyways good luck!