Notices

Liquor - Wine/Beer Phase

Old 01-23-2009, 01:07 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Eclectics Anonymous

Liquor - Wine/Beer Phase

When I first quit drinking I was just a whiskey drinker. I stopped for around 6 months and then decided I was only addicted to whiskey.

So, I am sure everyone knows where this went... I decided I could drink wine or beer (which I absolutely hate). I lasted about 6 months drinking very occasionally and then went to being a daily wine and beer drinker for about a year.

Now, of course, I realize the obvious that it is the alcohol not the type of drink. Did anyone else go through this?
Old 01-23-2009, 01:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I cared not what the carrier was...tho I did have favorites.

I came on line when I was 3 years sober.
I found this information interesting...

What is moderation?

According to the U.S. Center for Disease Control

Moderate drinking is no more than
2 drinks a day for men..1 for women

They consider a drink to be
12 oz. of beer..5 oz. of wine...1 1/2 oz of liquor.

Your body and mind processes all 3 toxins equally
so drinking only wine or only liquor or only beer
or mixing them is of no importance.
They all do the same damage.
I was qite surprized at that was considered moderate drinking.

A little off topic Sara...but I hope it helps someone.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:31 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yep I did the same thing. I started out with Southern Comfort and decided what I was drinking had to be the problem, so I switched the Vodka thinking things would be different. Needless to say the only thing that changed was what I mixed it with.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I started with wine and ended with wine - all the way and when I was drinking enough of it, I think it felt like it could have been whiskey.

Good that you are here. Thanks for your story.
Old 01-23-2009, 04:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I was never picky. I'd drink just about anything. Once things kicked into high gear I drank 90 proof vodka because everything else took too long, but I'd still drink anything I could get my hands on.

(You know you're in a bad way when shots of tequila and Jager don't work fast enough for your liking...)
Old 01-23-2009, 04:19 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Welcome!
Yup, think most of us have been there.
One of my favorite parts in the BB.

More About Alcoholism

(Alcoholics Anonymous – page 30)

Most of us have been unwilling to admit we were real alcoholics. No person likes to think he is bodily and mentally different from his fellows. Therefore, it is not surprising that our drinking careers have been characterized by countless vain attempts to prove we could drink like other people. The idea that somehow, someday he will control and enjoy his drinking is the great obsession of every abnormal drinker. The persistence of this illusion is astonishing. Many pursue it into the gates of insanity or death.

We learned that we had to fully concede to our innermost selves that we were alcoholics. This is the first step in recovery. The delusion that we are like other people, or presently may be, has to be smashed.

We alcoholics are men and women who have lost the ability to control our drinking. We know that no real alcoholic ever recovers control. All of us felt at times that we were regaining control, but such intervals - usually brief - were inevitably followed by still less control, which led in time to pitiful and incomprehensible demoralization. We are convinced to a man that alcoholics of our type are in the grip of a progressive illness. Over any considerable period we get worse, never better.

We are like men who have lost their legs; they never grow new ones. Neither does there appear to be any kind of treatment which will make alcoholics of our kind like other men. We have tried every imaginable remedy. In some instances there has been brief recovery, followed always by a still worse relapse.
Physicians who are familiar with alcoholism agree there is no such thing as making a normal drinker out of an alcoholic. Science may one day accomplish this, but it hasn't done so yet.

Reprinted with permission of A.A.® World Services Inc.

Source: Alcoholics Anonymous
1st Edition

Last edited by CarolD; 01-23-2009 at 07:09 PM. Reason: Added Source
Old 01-23-2009, 04:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I drank whatever I was in the mood to drink. I just couldn't stop once I got started until I passed out in bed or on the couch.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Oh definitely.

I resolved at least a dozen times that "hard liquor" was the cause of my problem and switched to wine. Invariably though some challenging circumstance in life would precede the thought that the wine wasn't getting the job done fast enough and that maybe adding a tiny ounce or two of over-proof rum to the wine would be okay.
Old 01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I drank whiskey too, and had to stop that because I was losing my mind.

Then, I started drinking wine like water.

And then tons of beer.

And then nothing.

Still nothing.

I had a moment today or yesterday when I realized how crazy I was from just beer. I couldn't make it throughout a day with out at least 6 beers. Without that, I'd start drinking cough syrup or something. Pathetic.