Notices

2 weeks & what's helping me

Old 01-21-2009, 09:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks & what's helping me

Hi,

Happy New Year.

I've been abstinent 2 weeks now. Over the past year, I've had about a half dozen periods of abstinence lasting from 2-4 weeks each time, but would always end up back to drinking 5-7 liters of wine a week. Over the holiday season I developed horrible gastrointestinal problems due to the drinking, and started to have panic attacks in public places--so, I'm looking forward to a very long time of abstinence this time around (I can't think beyond 6 months at this point!) Usually, when I reach the 2-3 week mark, I start to think I don't have that bad a problem because I've been able to go this long without drinking, and I think I can drink moderately. This time around, thanks to my support system, I'm not going to allow myself to even have that internal debate.

The two things that have been making this time around easier and more bearable than in the past have been daily vigorous exercise and Valerian Root supplements. The Valerian Root has really, really helped relieve the anxiety during the day and problems falling asleep at nite. The exercise is also helping with the sleep and mood. I don't intend to take herbal supplements forever, but it's a lot better than taking benzos or being tempted to use alcohol to help with these things! I feel pretty good at this point.

I hope this new year will be different for me, and I look forward to how I'll be feeling a month from now when my brain has had further time to heal. I know the next two weeks will still be difficult.

Cheers
Old 01-21-2009, 09:57 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Renee

Welcome to SR - It's a great place. Keep coming back through these difficult weeks.

I take valerian also, I think it helps.

Mark
Old 01-21-2009, 11:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey ReneeS - good to read your post. I also have the thoughts about drinking again after a period of abstinence. I am on day 11 this time. Good to hear about your exercise and herbal supplement tools.
I am feeling so good right now as a sober person that I find myself puzzled about why I would ever drink - but I know it is not that simple! Those thought will come again that make me think I might try it. I am working now on responding to those thoughts with all the information I am getting from being sober - the specifics about how good it feels like sleeping better, digesting better, thinking clearer, etc. I hope I can keep these thoughts active and use them to fight off the thoughts of drinking again when they creep in.

Thanks again for your post!
Old 01-21-2009, 04:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to sR and our Alcoholism Forum...
Best wishes on your new sober life!
Old 01-21-2009, 05:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Resident

A big welcome Renee. I am new here this month also and a part of the January class. Coming to this forum and posting has helped me make it this far. Alot of us post daily under the class of January in the newcomers section. Come and join us it helps me and may help you too. Good luck.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Renee,

Welcome to SR. I'm new here too. There is a lot of people here who rely on others for support. Please keep coming back and reading and posting.