Notices

Dreams...

Old 08-04-2003, 10:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Lightbulb Dreams...

After over 3 months sober - I've started dreaming about alcohol. I do this several times per week now. But, the weird thing is I'm ALWAYS drinking non-alcoholic beer in my dreams, and I'm mad because I'm not getting a buzz from it. (ha ha) So, then I start going from store to store looking for something stronger, but no one is selling real alcohol anymore! Isn't that funny AND weird??? Anyone have strange dreams about drinking?

PG :p
Old 08-04-2003, 11:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Lightbulb Yes...

I had them too. The longer I stay sober the less the dreams happen.

I had a repeat one I kinda miss.

Cheering you forward in sobriety..
Old 08-04-2003, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I haven't dreamed about drinking.

I always seem to be dreaming about family and friends and weird situations in general.
Old 08-04-2003, 09:48 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Paused

Thanks for your replys Carol and Tanis. My counseler encouraged me to write down my dreams, and I find that this one about alcohol seems to be popping up a lot lately. Although, I don't find myself thinking about alcohol a whole lot during the day, I must be thinking about it more than I realize since they say that what you dream about at night has a lot to do with what worries you subconciously during the day. Go figure, huh?

I do find dreams interesting though and wish I knew more about interpretation. I mean I don't mean to get into a bunch of psychobabble, but I do think our dreams have meaning to what's bothering us deep down.

PG
Old 08-06-2003, 06:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well....

my main drinking dream was party time...

It was at Birdland in NYC...all dim and smokey.
Dinah Washington...Stan Getz...Oscar Peterson...Peggy Lee
were performating on the turning bandstand.

I was wearing my favorite black cocktail dress...sitting at the bar..drinking Vodka and Tonic.
All my friends were milling around..much chatter and joking.
I suspose that vivid dream..in color..with great Jazz..is called "Romancing The Drink"

but it certainly was fun!!
Old 08-06-2003, 07:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi PG,
I don't have those dreams very often any more but when I do I look at them as God-instances where he allows me to re-live the old days in the safety or my own bed. I usually thank Him for the experience. Used to scare me though.
Old 08-06-2003, 09:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Paused

Your dream sounds fun CarolD! I have to agree. I've never had any nice dreams about drinking. They're always horrible (like I'll be drinking a glass of wine, and then all the sudden I realize it's BLOOD and not wine, and it starts running all down my face. Stuff like that). I guess it's in association to what I went through while drinking it. Hopefully it'll lessen as time goes by.

Music, I know what you mean about being glad that you were reliving the old days in your dreams and not in real life. My whole life was a nightmare when drinking. Glad I finally woke up.

PG
:thumb
Old 08-06-2003, 11:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think you called it...

"My whole life was a nightmare when drinking."

well...mine was not. I drank socially for years before I was addicted.

Geez! wine into blood would scare the beejeus outta me too. How awful for you PG!!

I am constanly grateful I lived thru my black depression to find the sunshine of recovery.
We are all talking typing walking Miracles!!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

PianoGirl -

My guess (and that's all it is!) is that your mind is trying to purge these thoughts from your subconcious. Just dream away and don't dwell on them too much. Let them come and let them go.

I do think in time they will become more pleasant.

Keep in touch!

- Tanis
Old 08-07-2003, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I'm coming up on four months sober and I have had a few dreams lately. I hear this is normal.
Old 08-09-2003, 11:51 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

Piano Girl,

I have been sober and tobacco free for over a decade and I still have drunk dreams and smoking dreams. My drunk dreams usually involve me being at a meeting, pretending that I have been sober when I really have not. Or just a variety of situations in which I have been dringking. In my dreams, I feel such regret, shame and disappointment. I will remember the dream a day or too later and get a wonderful sense of relief to realize that it was only a dream and that my sobriety is in tact. I like to think of these dreams as reminders to stay sober.
Old 08-11-2003, 05:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

PianoGirl, I have not had any drinking dreams yet.
Although I remember one time when I was almost 5 years sober in the 80's I had a drrinking dream.
It was so real, that I had to run downs stair when I woke up to see if the beer cans were in the kitchen. I've had some crazy dreams lately , some of which I think is from my medication. I had one awhile ago, in which my wife killed me because
I had bought the wrong bread at the store. We had to laugh because during my drinking there were so many things I did that would have been a better reason. Don W
Old 08-11-2003, 10:36 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Paused

Hey ya'll,

It's interesting to hear what kind of dreams you all have had about drinking. Don W, that's a funny dream you had about your wife trying to kill you because you had bought the wrong bread!!! Sounds like one I would have. I guess I've had a lot of dreams about drinking lately, because a lot of times it's what I think about when I lay down to go to sleep at night. You see, that's when I drank the most - at night before I went to bed (to help me sleep), so I guess I think about it a lot when I have time to sit there and think. It IS getting better though as time goes on. I hit 95 days today!!! I'm so happy. I can't believe it's been that long already....

My last dream about drinking was a few days ago, when I dreamed that I was a little girl again, and had about 20 gallons of ice cream (all different flavors), and started eating it all like crazy, and my parents got mad at me because I was eating ice cream, and took it away from me, and instead they gave me bottles of wine to drink!! Then I started breaking all the bottles, and there was glass all over the floor, so I got a bunch of glass in my feet...it was another weird one.

I've always dreamed weird dreams anyway!! I'm somewhat of a deep thinker and that probably has a lot to do with it. I have a reoccuring dream about a fish aquarium a least 3 times a year. Our brains are funny things aren't they? Thanks for listening to me ramble.......

Ya'll take care.

PG
Old 08-11-2003, 10:48 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Wonderful PG!

Roll On!!
Old 08-11-2003, 11:58 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Paused

I've been sober for 15 years of one day at a time and have dreams that have seemed so intensly real to me that when I woke up I was totally demoralized thinking "I Blew It" after having a nightmare in which my ex-fiance / girlfriend whatever (from my teenage years in the 1984) was sitting on top of me holding a bottle laughing at me and I realized her face was horribly disfigured. I woke up sweating and reached over to feel my wife sleeping soundly next to me, I then thank God it was a nightmare, after 15 yrs of recovery, I've had maybe one nightmare a year, there were more in my early recovery. Scary as Heck, but after I took a look at what the significance was concerning my ex- and her face being mangled up, I worked with my sponsor to face some underlying issues concerning abuse
Old 08-14-2003, 02:21 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi PG, 95 days that is great. I find it amazing the difference these time periods bring about. I go to the VA for treatment and and AA and I get to see people at different stages. I think is most obvious in early recovery. I dn't copare but, I can't help seeing myself at 30,60 days in the faces of the people in the classes. Some that I went through the program I don't recognise. The external change really show even after a few days.
Have a good day
Old 08-14-2003, 10:40 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Paused

Don W,

I know what you mean. I've had people comment on my appearance etc, that didn't even know I had a drinking problem. Even after 2 weeks into my sobriety, I had people saying, "Wow, you look great! There's a glow in your eyes". I wanted to say, "Yeah, that's because they're not glazed over from being hungover all the time!". The difference is almost instant. Congrats again on making your 90 days. The future's so bright, we gotta wear shades.....

PG