Notices

Thoughts on AA meetings?

Old 01-17-2009, 10:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I met my husband at our home group and at one time his mother was my temporary sponsor (before I even knew him) and I was already friends with his parents. So after we got together as a couple there were all four of us (me, hubby and both his parents) at a meeting together on a regular basis. Everyone knew we were all related.

I learned very early on how to share in a very general way when something is bothering me. If I have had problems in my relationship no way am I going to put it out there but I do have some closed mouth friends in the room who I do trust to give me good advice and keep their mouth shut. My husband apparently has the same because I have never heard anything come back to either one of us about something the other has said.

When sharing at a meeting it is best to keep it general so that the situation is out there but not the people involved. Some people just basically vomit their problems on the table with all the nasty little details that should NOT be out there and I just cringe inwardly and if its a female I try to get to them after the meeting and suggest they refrain from that in the future.

AA is an anonymous program but it is full of humans who are not perfect so it is best to share intimate things with a sponsor you trust and/or a closed mouth friend.

I'm so sorry you had the experience that you did. I hope you will find a group that you like and can experience AA the proper way.

Hugs,
Kellye
Old 01-17-2009, 10:53 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Doesn't sound like what is supposed to happen at an AA meeting. Aside from the obvious anonymity breaking, a solution to alcoholism is supposed to be discussed. Specifically, the solution from the book "Alcoholics Anonymous".