Notices

I don't get depressed, anymore...

Old 01-08-2009, 04:52 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

I don't get depressed, anymore...

It's hard to explain, but since I stopped drinking I never really get depressed, anymore. I did not drink every night. I only drank on weekends, unless there was a holiday.

Anyhow, I wonder if the quantity I drank was a contributing factor. I would drink a 5th of scotch, easily. I would sit in my room, drinking, playing Xbox360 very sloppily...

And when I was sober, during the week, I would get these mood swings. I would go from ok to sad & depressed over nothing.

I guess having all that weekend booze in my system had a sort of lingering effect.

I wouldn't say I was happy, but I don't feel low as dirt and I don't wish to blow my brains out, anymore.

Anyone else experience this & did it go away, miraculously?
Old 01-08-2009, 04:58 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm on day 13 and although I sometimes get anxiety attacks my mood is generally more stable. Alcohol gives a small amount of pleasure but its' payback is a huge degree of angst.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Yes, I experienced that. I was a weekend binge drinker too.

I think my mind and body revolted during the week from the weekend 'shocking' I was giving it.
Old 01-08-2009, 05:42 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I used to hear in my head constantly "Do I drink because I'm depressed or am I depressed because I drink."

My experience has been that the majority of my depression has lifted since I quit drinking. I had FMLA coverage for my depression last year because it was that bad. I couldn't get out of bed for days at a time. I was isolating big time and I nearly lost my job.

So far, I have only experienced a little depression right before Thanksgiving. I feel blessed and grateful at this moment.

Thanks for this post.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:04 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Absolute Evil

I just hope that old feeling doesn't return. The "I miss drinking" bit...
Old 01-09-2009, 10:48 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Great post, Master. I was diagnosed with clinical depression almost 20 years ago and have been on various meds since then. From what I've read and been told my medical professionals, alcohol is a major factor contributing to depression - depletes serotonin and skews other brain functions. Like alcoholism, clinical depression can be a progressive disease, especially when exacerbated by drinking.

I would recommend the book Beyond the Influence to really get an understanding of the physical/neurological effects of alcohol. It's definitely no fluff piece. It's backed by hundreds of research papers and goes into detail about the body's response to the invasion of alcohol. If I had to pick one book on alcoholism, that would be it.

And I too have had many a night of 'sloppily' playing games on my PC - it's much easier to kill Nazis when you're sober....
Old 01-10-2009, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I recommend "Beyond the Influence" too. It was a definite eye opener.

We all have different reasons for going to the drink, but the end result is the same.

Last edited by readyforhelp; 01-10-2009 at 09:13 AM. Reason: book name (Under vs. Beyond)
Old 01-10-2009, 11:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

a couple of year back i got put on antabuse so i couldnt drink hopeing it would stop my depression...
but after six months i was still getting worse...
then i got my meds changed and in the ajustment period stopped the antabuse and started drinking again
Old 01-10-2009, 03:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My diagnosed situational depression vanished
by the time I was 2 months of AA recovery.
No meds needed and it's not returned.
That happened in '89.

The reason I say AA sober?
Because my depression did return during other short
periods of sobriety. I needed drastic changes
in my thinking and lifestyle...

Obviously...only your doctor will be able to tell
what is needed for a particular person.
Many AA's do take meds for various reasons.
I do too...but not for depression.

...I did quit drinking after reading "Under The Influence"
which came before "Beyond The Influence"
The information there convinced me to finally stop.

Glad to see your feeling happier TM...

Last edited by CarolD; 01-10-2009 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-10-2009, 05:04 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I used to think alcohol was helping my depression but it was actually one of the main contributing factors to my depression.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:47 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

only on day 3

for 15 years, the past 3, every night I would be either having 4+ pints of beer at the bar or having some wine or cocktails after work at home. I really had myself convinced I was a "social drinker", until I asked myself "can you stop?". I tried to hit the brakes but spent about 4 years trying to get past day 1. During the day I would mentally beat myself up over it but as the depression got worse, the more I thought "tonight's not the right night to quit". And so on and so-forth. I realized a couple of months ago that alcohol was stripping all the nutrients from my body and brain. I started eating very healthily, re-hydrating, taking vitamins. Slowly the cloud started to shift, as it did, I promised I would reduce drinking if I'm healthier. I had myself fooled again into thinking that I was in the process of quitting and was drinking more than ever. The depression got worse in the last 2 weeks, very dark.
So I finally got some time off work and suddenly a light goes on in my head
"tonight's the right night to quit"
That was a terrible night.
the past 2 days feel great, I have cravings, but none of that horrible guilty depression. I started out as a fun loving guy who loved socializing and turned into a drink addled mess in his 30's. There's more important things in life so I'm looking forward to a sober tomorrow.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I simply lost control of everything I cared about when I drank....
Old 01-14-2009, 08:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Since I have been sober, I'm truly amazed at how my anxiety level had gone down. In fact, I think it's one of the things I value most in sobriety.
Old 01-14-2009, 09:07 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Yep.. my anxiety and depression kinda went away as I've been further and further away from my last drink, 28 days ago now.

Sometimes I do still want to drink, actually.. a lot of times I want to drink. But I like being sober WAY more than I desire the drinks. I want the peace, the honesty, and the good sleep.. the calm, natural calm.

I would have to agree w/ coffee.. my anxiety relief.. and the amazing sleep I get are some of the most valuable things I've noticed being sober. Not to mention no more shame, guilt, remorse, hangovers, worry, ....... etc etc.
Old 01-15-2009, 06:57 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I used to think alcohol was helping my depression but it was actually one of the main contributing factors to my depression.
As Peter said, I concur, not only did my depression slowly dissappear when I quit drinking, but so did my paranoia & anger.

Alcohol is a depressant so it would make sense that if one drinks they will become depeessed! LOL