Notices

Problems....

Old 05-08-2009, 01:38 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Hooray 28 days. I'm taking my fiancée out to dinner shortly, and then off to see The Phantom of the Opera.

I have been presented with some challenges over the last 2 days.

- Yesterday my employer gave me a bottle of wine as a gift...I brought it home and gave it straight to my fiancée who is re-gifting it to my Mum

- Today they had the ritual 5pm beers at work. I had a sparkling mineral water today and instead of it being a joke to my colleagues, they just gave it to me outright without laughing. That's a first.

Sorry I know not a lot of this is relevant but I don't have many other outlets for this sort of stuff and I like to release.
Old 05-08-2009, 05:10 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Resident

Congratulations on 30 days Slim.
It sounds like what you are doing is working for you. Keep it up.
For me the first month was hard and now it is quite easy and I never really think of drinking in terms of it might be fun.
Now when I think of it it is like why would I ever want to go there again.
Good luck.
Old 05-14-2009, 06:50 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Hey all - I'm at 35 days now.

I have had a few struggles this week. I was out driving on Wednesday and got some very stressful news regarding work, and for the first time in the last 5 weeks I got a really powerful urge to drink. I ended up calling my fiancee and speaking to her in the car all the way home to stop me pulling in to the bottle shop..

I'm not sure if it's related but that night I was exhausted and went to bed 2 hours earlier than normal. The following morning I woke up so tired that I couldn't even bring myself to go to work.

Is it normal to be this exhausted during recovery? I am going to sleep quite easily, and sleeping all the way through, but then I am still so tired every morning.

My doctor said he thinks I might be depressed?? I don't feel depressed - just tired. He is using hypnotherapy on me to try and sort this out too.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:12 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I'm feeling good today. When I get to sleep I will wake up to 6 weeks sober.

Yay me.
Old 05-21-2009, 06:46 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  
To Thine Own Self Be True

Wow!!!!
It is SO great to hear you.
You are doing SOOOOO great!!!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:03 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thank you!

And thanks for replying. I was starting to feel like I was talking to myself here :P
Old 05-21-2009, 07:08 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Congrats on 6 weeks! A job well done!
Old 05-21-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I was fatigued a LOT in my first year of recovery. My body was working overtime to heal itself from the damage of alcoholism.

I know for me, I have to keep HALT in mind (Hungry, Angry, Lonely, Tired) because those things alone or in combination can start up the stinking thinking with me!

Congrats on your hard-earned sobriety!
Old 05-21-2009, 07:15 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Way to Go!!

Reading through your story tonight has really hit home w/ me - you are an inspiration!! Please keep posting!
Old 05-22-2009, 03:55 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

hello slimjim,nice to meet you.i too am an alcoholic.every day away from booze ia a miracle for an alki,,congrats on your time,,im just over 100 days and my life is just getting better and better.im in AA and this gives me lots of tools with how to live life.i dont have any compulsion to drink anymore,,,something i would have thought impossible! i hope you enjoyed your meal out and a night at the theatre,,pleas keep us posted with your progress,,
Old 05-28-2009, 06:08 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Thanks for replying..

@healthyheart - I'm glad my story has helped in some way. Posting here is helping me too.

@charmian - 100 days is awesome. I'm chasing you but I hope I never catch you (if that makes sense).

I'm just getting ready for bed and will be 7 weeks sober tomorrow. 49 days. Awesome! My doctor/therapist is happy with my progress. When I get to 8 weeks I am going to have my blood tests done again to check on my liver. My doctor said he expects my liver functions to have returned to normal.

I've found this week that I am not exhausted all the time any more. I'm back to sleeping 7-8 hours a night and feeling reasonably rested. It's great - I wasn't to optimistic about this going back to normal in a hurry.

I'll keep checking in
Old 05-28-2009, 11:26 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

slim jim! fabulous,isnt it great when you start to sleep again?? this was so elusive to me for years,,every night when i get in a nice clean cosy bed i say thank you,and every morning when i wake up in it! this is just one of the many small pleasures that we take for granted when in the grip! i love my bed now,i hated it before! i went for blood tests just 2 months or less after quitting n they were normal! miracle,but there you go,great to hear from you,,stick in there with the positivity!
Old 06-04-2009, 11:12 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

I've made 8 weeks today. This week has bene a pretty rough one at work so I've been awake until all hours.

Lack of sleep seems to hurt more now that I'm not drinking. Back when I was drinking I could get by on 6 hours sleep easily. Now I seem to need 8 or 9 every night. I do feel much more rested these days though.

The urge to drink isn't really there that often now. That's good and bad. It's good because I can enjoy myself most of the time, but bad because as I'm fighting it much less frequently it can really catch me off guard.

My doctor is happy with my progress. I'm getting more blood tests done shortly so I'll see how my liver is now.

Thanks for being here everyone. I'll check back in Wednesday when I make 2 calendar months
Old 06-09-2009, 05:43 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

I know I've replied to this thread twice this week, but tomorrow is 2 calendar months (it's 10:10pm here).

I've got a cold so I'm going to bed early tonight - i.e. now. So that means I'll wake up sober on my 2 month anniversary.

YAY!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I got my 2 month sober liver tests back today. All except for one have gone back to normal. The other is only just over, but greatly reduced from before.

The doc was pretty happy and so was I!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

I'm 90 days sober today.

In two more days it will be 3 calendar months.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:09 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

congrats!!!!
Old 07-08-2009, 03:59 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Thank you!!
Old 01-11-2010, 05:19 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Well - I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but due to a number of things I went back to the bottle.

The short summary is:

- I got very sick, and the doctor thought it was a Naltrexone reaction so I got taken off. Bad move as a started drinking again. It turned out to be whooping cough.
- I went back on Naltexone and was sober for 6 weeks, then I hurt my back and was taken off it again so I could use narcotic pain relievers.

Anyway - I've got my benzo medication and a date to quit (4 day long weekend in 2 weeks). Here I go again. I've got higher hopes this time as my life is significantly better this year.

Wish me luck!
Old 01-11-2010, 08:05 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you are heading into a fresh start Jim...
Best of luck