Notices

Alcohol and going to meetings

Old 01-05-2009, 08:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol and going to meetings

I'll be sober for 3 years on 1/11/09. I've been going to meetings 7 days a week during that time. The desire to drink was lifted on 5/30/06, and I've been getting better with each passing day.
My question is this: I stopped smoking 15 years ago, and I just don't give smoking cigarettes a thought...why can't I just treat drinking the same way, just put it out of my mind and move on with my life. I worry that AA has become an addiction, albeit a good addiction, but an addiction nonetheless.

Robert
Old 01-05-2009, 10:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a bit curious why you would ask this after 3 years of meetings 7 days a week. In my opinion, there is a distinct difference between alcoholism and addiction. If we could just choose not to drink - why even go to AA in the first place?

If the alcoholic's main problem is in his mind - how can the mind fix itself? The book is very clear on this subject (and AA is sooo much more than meetings).

Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps......
Old 01-05-2009, 10:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

People can and do go on about their lives with and without AA.

Not sure when, a desire to drink left me.

I don't have a drinking problem any longer, I still have a thinking problem from time to time.

I CONTINUE TO ATEND MEETINGS TO HELP THE PEOPLE TRYING TO GET THEIR LIVES UNDER CONTROL.

I'm glad, there were people that were there for me the first meeting I went to.
Old 01-05-2009, 11:41 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

both sug and el capitan have great points.

only thing i'd add is if it's not broke, why fix it?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Robert,my soberiety is contingent on my relationship with God as I understand Him mainly,but I do believe others is included in it.I find most of those others in a AA meeting.I go to about 3 a week.
Have you thought on cutting down on the number of meetings you make,and put more attention on steps 10-12 for a week or two and see how you feel?
Old 01-05-2009, 11:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

btw - have you talked to your sponsor about any of this?
Old 01-05-2009, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Addiction, in my opinion, means an action with some sort of negative consequences.

If attending meetings is not negatively affecting your job, home life, or some other area, I wouldn't consider it an 'addiction'.

I am not addicted to a clean lifestyle that includes helping others.

Just my opinion.
Old 01-05-2009, 05:48 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Congratulations on your recovery time....

Welcome to SR and our Alcoholism Forum
Old 01-05-2009, 08:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Congrats on your awesome sobriety time!
Old 01-05-2009, 10:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tommyk View Post
Addiction, in my opinion, means an action with some sort of negative consequences.

If attending meetings is not negatively affecting your job, home life, or some other area, I wouldn't consider it an 'addiction'.

I am not addicted to a clean lifestyle that includes helping others.

Just my opinion.
Maybe I just need a break from AA. For example, at the meeting I attended on Monday, I've heard each speaker so many times that I could stand-in for anyone of them and not miss a beat...One of them was so nervous that it was painful to watch...how someone is helped by that escapes me.
I can hear it now.."Help the newcomer!"...newcomers around here aren't too common...more of the same people bouncing in and out...some have a genuine desire to get sober..other just come to AA when the heat is on.
I just want to go to my home group on Sunday night and wean myself off the other 6 meetings.

Robert
Old 01-06-2009, 11:01 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

AA is about more than quitting drinking. If it was about quitting drinking only, it would be a one step program.
Old 01-06-2009, 11:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Hmm. I don't go to AA. And that's all I'll say about that.

Whatever works for you tho!!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Robert! Welcome. I no longer go to aa, I only attended for 10 months and found I felt WAY better sticking to just a couple (2) meetings a week. I did, in my time at aa, see many people who used it as their entire social outlet. I'm not saying thats wrong just it was not right for me and maybe 7 days a week is far too much for you. I know what you mean about hearing the same speakers...I guess it helps if you travel to a lot of different meetings but for me the negatives in that scenario out weighed the benefits. Follow your heart and best of luck!
Old 01-06-2009, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
where the light is

For me, it's about staying spiritually fit on a daily basis. I only go to two meetings a week but they keep me focused and give me the opportunity to learn & to help others.

I did go through a period where I was getting negative vibes from meetings - I would dread going and leave feeling bitter. I was only hearing the doom & gloom, not the solution or the successes.

I posted about it on SR and the responses really helped. Some of the advice I received was to check out other meetings and to bring my own message of hope to the meetings I attend.

I don't think that there is a right or wrong number of meetings to attend. It should be a positive experience that strengthens your sobriety. It's a personal decision and not necessarily an indicator of dependence on meetings. If I had more time, I would go to more. I like them! My sponsor attends 5 or 6 meetings a week and is heavily involved in our local program. He has helped so many people.

Perhaps you are trying to find the right balance?