Notices

Newbie, 1/4/09 first day free of alcohol.

Old 01-04-2009, 06:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Newbie, 1/4/09 first day free of alcohol.

Hi, I'm 22 and have been drinking since the age of 17ish. It wasn't a problem then (most b/c of access) - I would get drunk once in a while and have a good time.

I began drinking very heavily in June - about a 6-8 drinking session every afternoon on an empty stomach (I would only eat one big meal a day to cap off my last drink). This was the first time I started to lose control and realize that it was a problem. If I tried not to drink for a day, I would get this overwhelming fatigue and fog in my mind and body.

I think I'm an alcoholic b/c I have zero sense of control. I would say to myself, "ok, just a 24oz today" at 5pm. And by 11pm, after 8 or so drinks and 3 trips to the store later, I would just crash out and forget everything the next morning.

I've also tried to make alot of excuses for my drinking behavior, blaming others, blaming things beyond my control - but never looking inward. This has hurt my family and friends (on top of me generally acting like an ass while drunk). This is not limited to alcohol as I have an addictive personality generally, whether it was illicit drugs in my youth, or prescribed pharmeceuticals, I just don't have any control with regards to psychoactive substances.

I had 11 drinks last night and I felt the urge again today at 4pm before I stumbled onto this website. I read enough that I felt myself prepared to make this commitment; the posts also illustrated how difficult the quitting process and life without alcohol can be. I really want to "nip this in the bud" before my drinking problem gets out of hand. This is after realizing that I can never become a "social drinker" - it's either alcohol free or a pathetic drunk.

This site is a wonderful resource and I look forward to sharing my experiences (and hearing yours). Happy abstaining!
Old 01-04-2009, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

Joel,thanks for posting.Glad you made a decision to quit.It was tough at first for me,but it got better in times.I joined AA and that did the job for me.
One day at a time!
Tommy
Old 01-04-2009, 11:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

In AA we don't like to diagnose anyone as alcoholic, but as a friend in my home group told me once "you sure have some of the symptoms".

At any rate welcome to SR, this is a great place.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I have to agree with dgillz. No sense of control? Sounds like me.

1 turns into 2 which becomes 5 then 10 ...on to oblivion.

"I won't drink today" - 10am
"Well, I guess I will try harder tomorrow" - drunk at 9pm.

Time and again this happened. Countless times!

There's a way out...quite a few people here have found their way out with different methods and there is a wealth of experience that you can tap.

Welcome.
Old 01-06-2009, 05:17 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congratulations Joel! You and I both quit yesterday. I am on day number 2 and still haven't had a drink. I'm a bit confused about my level of alcoholism though. I've probably drank regularly for the last year. Say....300 of the 365 day's. My drink was beer. I would have between 3 to 5 or 6 a day. One thing I've noticed is that I'm not having physical withdrawals...I think. It's mostly in my head. I've had a couple of time's today that I really wanted to go to the store and get me a beer. I haven't though. I just got busy with other thing's and here I am...8pm on night number 2. No drink.

Should I expect some physical withdrawal's? If I don't then ...am I an alcoholic? Please someone tell me how it is before I see an open door where there shouldn't be.

I wish you all of the luck in the world Joel!! Keep on trying. I will too!
Old 01-06-2009, 05:49 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Towards the end of my drinking 'career', which only ended 20 days ago I drank Vodka.. as much as possible. Even in the mornings, to kill my hangover. When I quit, and got over that hangover, I never felt any physical withdrawal symptoms (yes the hangover IS withdrawal). Lucky maybe.. I don't know.

Your level of withdrawal has nothing to do with whether or not you're an alcoholic. Stick around, read some of the 'stickies'.. a few of my friends will likely be here shortly to post the really great ones that can give you a lot of insight.

Or, as some people mention.. try drinking just 2 drinks a day, for 30 days. If that's not a problem, maybe you dont' have one. If you find yourself thinking about it a lot, wanting more, etc.. well...

Congrats on 1 full day without any alcohol!!! Lets make it 2, and 3 and 5 and..
Old 01-06-2009, 06:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome Joel and Carrie...

Here is the deal...it's not what you drink or when you drink or why
or even how much you drink....alcohol is a toxin.

It affects all parts of your body and brain.
That's true for non alcoholics as well as alcoholics.

Please read this for information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Glad you both have decided to live sober and healthy.
Old 01-07-2009, 03:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I think I might have jumped the gun a bit! I haven't done any research yet on what the withdrawal's are for alcohol. If they include nightsweat's and headache's, then I'm there now. I went to bed with a headache and woke to one. Oh boy. I am really wanting to make it today and not drink. Right now, I feel like I can do it! I will probably need some prayer's by this afternoon. So here it is....officially 2 full day's of being sober and striving for day three.

I hope you're still doin okay Joel! You are in my prayer's!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Carrie,

Yes, both of those are w/d symptoms. Just stay the course, it only gets better.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:56 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Oh yeah...I plan to keep on going. My headache is better, took a couple of tylenol. That seemed to do the trick! Thank's for your input!!
Old 01-07-2009, 11:09 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just wanted to thank you CarolD! I just got finished reading some of the excerpts from "Under the Influence". The information was very useful to me and answered alot of my questions about alcoholism. I am ready to go out and get the book. Thank you so much...again!
Old 01-09-2009, 05:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Joel...I just wanted to check on you. You haven't been by to post on how you're coming along. I hope you are doin okay. Carrie:praying
Old 01-09-2009, 05:15 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Here is the deal...it's not what you drink or when you drink or why
or even how much you drink....alcohol is a toxin.

It affects all parts of your body and brain.
That's true for non alcoholics as well as alcoholics.
Well stated, CarolD, you've laid it on the line with that statement. Bravo, brilliant!!