SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Alcoholism (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/)
-   -   I'm Celebrating 1 Year!! (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/alcoholism/165616-im-celebrating-1-year.html)

tiburon88 01-01-2009 08:12 PM

I'm Celebrating 1 Year!!

I feel as if I deserve a 1 year chip today. i mean I've been going to these meetings since 2004. I deserve to get that 1 year chip and eat the cake also! I define "sobriety" a little different than you guys though. I've had a few "slips" but I don't count that as my goal is 1 year. Happy New Year everyone!

tiburon

doorknob 01-01-2009 08:37 PM

So, what are you doing to commemorate this defining moment?

CarolD 01-01-2009 08:45 PM

:)
I know we went thru your "cake and chip" desire
in some of your earlier posts......so I'll sinply say..
:nyai

CAPTAINZING2000 01-01-2009 10:00 PM

huh????

To thine own self be true

mikel60 01-02-2009 12:47 AM

Hey tib,
How do you define sobriety? I'm curious. I like reading your posts, even though I never agree with them... well almost never. I want to have my cake, too. But, I'm diabetic... not that that has stopped me.
Mike

December15 01-02-2009 01:52 AM

One year sober is awesome.

miss communicat 01-02-2009 03:22 PM

happy new year tib!

stay with your recovery, it will become deeper and stronger in time!

TTOSBT 01-02-2009 03:31 PM

congratulations I think.
I am a little confused.
Are you sober or not?
You said you define being sober differently. Does that mean that you don't drink but smoke pot or something? Or does that mean that you have put together 365 of not drinking at some point but not consecutively?
When you take your cake, will you share your definition?

bob_sapp 01-02-2009 04:29 PM

Noone "deserves" anything in AA until they earn it by doing the work. Just my insane opinion...

bugsworth 01-02-2009 04:51 PM

Glad to see you Tib...and Happy New Year!

doorknob 01-02-2009 05:05 PM

I didn't pick up a 30 day or 60 day chip. The symbolism really isn't all that important to me. Now if it were a cheeseburger...

tiburon88 01-02-2009 06:29 PM

Many here may snicker at my definition of sobriety BUT I feel better telling people about my "sobriety time". Thanks everyone who recognizes my time!:You_Rock_

tib

yeahgr8 01-02-2009 06:36 PM

I think whatever works for you, works for you man!

Congrats on doing so well:-)

BP44 01-02-2009 07:38 PM

Tib, your math seems a little odd. A little over a year ago, you were convinced you deserve a 5 year medallion and a cake. Just a couple of weeks ago, you claimed 2 1/2 years. And now today, 1 year. May I suggest you claim an 8 year medallion, unless you want to round up the 1/2 year. In that case a 9 year medallion. When the newcomer asks how you did it, just tell him to count the days in between drinking and add them together. Makes as much sense as anything else I've seen you post. Rock on, McDuff!!!

FightingIrish 01-02-2009 07:43 PM

In the group I got sober in, they always add "in a row!" when people refer to their number of years. It seems to be said with a bit of ironic jest. Now I guess I now why.

tiburon88 01-02-2009 08:34 PM

Why does sobriety have to be in a row? I have more non-drinking days than I do drinking days the last 5 years. IMO AA rules are way too strict to follow. I believe it is sick to label someone who drinks a few days after long periods of sobriety a "newcomer." I actually like AA meetings more now. I mean isn't that a good thing? I always felt like AA members talked down to me when I admitted to only having a few days or weeks sober.

tib

coffeenut 01-02-2009 08:45 PM

It has to be in a row or I would count myself as completly sober as I drank myself stupid every night, but was perfectly sober in the day.

Nice try, though.

shorebirds2saly 01-02-2009 09:08 PM

Hello Tib-Celebrating 1 year is good news to hear!
I wish you further life long success from 1 day at a time.Happy New and Safe Year
to you also.You've gotta friend here. *good regards

Pinkcuda 01-02-2009 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by tiburon88 (Post 2046519)
Why does sobriety have to be in a row? I have more non-drinking days than I do drinking days the last 5 years. IMO AA rules are way too strict to follow.

Actually the rules have softened up quite a bit. Here is a fragment of the original preamble.

"An A.A. member is an alcoholic who, through the application of an adherence to the A.A. program, has forsworn the use of any alcoholic beverage in any form. The moment he/she takes so much as a one drop of beer, wine, spirits, or any other form of alcoholic beverage he automatically loses all status as a member of A.A.
Alcoholics Anonymous is not interested in sobering up drunks who are not sincere in their desire to remain sober for all time. Not being reformers, we offer our experience only to those who want it".

desertdonna 01-02-2009 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by tiburon88 (Post 2046519)
Why does sobriety have to be in a row? I have more non-drinking days than I do drinking days the last 5 years. IMO AA rules are way too strict to follow. I believe it is sick to label someone who drinks a few days after long periods of sobriety a "newcomer." I actually like AA meetings more now. I mean isn't that a good thing? I always felt like AA members talked down to me when I admitted to only having a few days or weeks sober.

tib

It's not a matter of talking down to you, tib.

On November 14th, less than two months ago you started a thread. I remember because I posted to support you.

You said:

"I Hate Myself......
I think that I truely hate myself. I mean why else would I continue to return to the horrors of addiction? I don't feel as if I deserve to be sober and maybe this is God's way of punishing me. They say you have to get sober for yourself but what happens when you don't care anymore? I wish I could stay drunk/high 24 hours a day every day, however, I don't have the money or stamina anymore. I go on these terrible 2-3 day binges until my body just can't take anymore. I feel like I'm in hell. I do realize that I need extensive help or I'm going to die.

tib"

And during those "slips" you could die. Those "slips" don't and can't count.

Wishing you peace and sobriety, Tib.

Hugs,
Donna