Notices

I'm Celebrating 1 Year!!

Old 01-03-2009, 09:01 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Tib.. I came here to congratulate you, but after reading your post.. I don't really know what to do. Redifining your own "sobriety" just sounds like another rationalization we use to keep drinking.

Coffee... exactly.

Geeze, if all of us counted our non drinking days between our drinking days I bet we'd have years of sobriety too. How about the hours of each day I wasn't drinking.. does that override the few hours I did? So really have I always been sober? My math does not work that way.. I do not attend AA, I didn't know there were rules. Sober time is sober time.. I'd be foolish to think it was "between" times lol.. But hey, .. Happy New Year. I'm confused now.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
not a greeter

I feel I deserve a billion dollars, island home and a Maserati. I don't have them though and wouldn't claim to if I didn't own them.

Congratulations on your sober days Tib.

When you amass a full year of consecutive non drinking /using days let me know so I can honestly wish you congratulations on a real year.
Old 01-04-2009, 06:42 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

It's funny how they always harp on the one day at a time thing in AA. The most important person in the meeting isn't the newcomer but whoever has the most sobriety "time." The meeting I celebrated my 1 year had over 100 people in it. I felt good when they clapped and sang to me. I thought that's why one attends AA meetings so that you feel better. Now I don't sponser anyone or chair meetings though. I do have respect for those things. 6

tib
Old 01-04-2009, 06:54 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Exclamation

Originally Posted by gypsytears View Post
I feel I deserve a billion dollars, island home and a Maserati. I don't have them though and wouldn't claim to if I didn't own them.

Congratulations on your sober days Tib.

When you amass a full year of consecutive non drinking /using days let me know so I can honestly wish you congratulations on a real year.

After a lot of reflection, I'm glad, I didn't get all I deserved.

By all accounts, I should never have a drivers lic. to be driving if, I'd of gotten a DUI for everytime, I've driven drunk. That, I have a job for all the times, I was drunk or, I was high at work. That, people still love me in spite of the things I've done in my life.

Truly blessed I am
Old 01-04-2009, 06:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
It's funny how they always harp on the one day at a time thing in AA. The most important person in the meeting isn't the newcomer but whoever has the most sobriety "time." The meeting I celebrated my 1 year had over 100 people in it. I felt good when they clapped and sang to me. I thought that's why one attends AA meetings so that you feel better. Now I don't sponser anyone or chair meetings though. I do have respect for those things. 6

tib

We can't dwell on yesterday, we have no guarantees over tomorrow, all we have is today, that's why we call it the present.

http://www.thestationessay.com/
Old 01-04-2009, 11:20 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Congrats on your sober time, Tib.

I wish I could say congrats on a year. I won't, for selfish reasons: if I believe you have a year, slipups notwithstanding, I know I'll start to think too much on that. "Well if Tib has a year even with his slipups, then maybe I can have a drink and still celebrate a year next week. I feel like I deserve it." And that line of thought isn't worth following.

As Gyps said, let us know when you've got a consecutive year - I'll be the first in line to congratulate you.
Old 01-04-2009, 11:36 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I have been sober consecutive days for well over a year. I don't deserve it. Nothing I have done, or do keeps me sober. Not AA, not meetings, sponsors, fellows, SR - none of it. I gave up trying to get sober...in that giving up I became willing to do just about anything - so I did. Strict rules? I really could have cared less.

I could probably take some medallions, cakes etc - but I don't. It never impressed me to see people take them, nor to see them get up in front of a group and be praised for something they admit at step 1 they couldn't do in the first place.

If you want a coin - I will send you one.

What I would rather say, and it might not be the nicest thing...Stop trying to run the show, change the rules, have the world revolve around you to suit your needs and desires. There is more found in giving up than there is in winning. Truly.

Happy New Year, Tib and All.
Old 01-05-2009, 12:54 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

LOL Tib, I am 10 years sober today, even though I drank a few days ago!

Was this all just some way of criticising AA or something? Who cares about cakes and chips or whether they call you a newcomer?

My longest period of continuous sobriety was age 0-7, go me!

Old 01-05-2009, 01:59 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
LOL Tib, I am 10 years sober today, even though I drank a few days ago!

Was this all just some way of criticising AA or something? Who cares about cakes and chips or whether they call you a newcomer?

My longest period of continuous sobriety was age 0-7, go me!

That's the thing it IS about cakes and sobriety chips. I care about being called a newcomer because I have been in AA for nearly 5 years! If I just drink beer I don't consider that a relapse because I can't get drunk on beer. I have too high of a tolerance.

tib 6
Old 01-05-2009, 02:04 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Old 01-05-2009, 02:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Tib...aa is a program of complete abstinence, as are most. It seems to me you have taken a moderation/harm reduction approach. That is your choice but it would seem to me that if you utilize aa it might be to your benefit to play by the rules. I'm not an aaer but I'm just saying....can't have your cake and eat it too.
Old 01-05-2009, 02:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi Tib

I think it is great that you are able to drink beer and not anything else and still be happy in your life, but i do not think this is a very realistic goal for 99.9% of alcoholics, certainly not for me, but as i said before if it works for you...great!

I am heading down AA this month as i do want a coin and some cake! I am 11 weeks consecutive sober so i should be able to get there before my 90 days...
Old 01-05-2009, 02:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

The only way I can stop drinking 100% is with the help of Ativan or Valium. Unfortunately, the doctors no longer give me anything for anxiety and panic attacks. Anti-depressants simply don't work and the benzo class drugs help. The truth is I have never abused them either.

tib 6
Old 01-05-2009, 02:22 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Tib...why can't you stop 100%? What makes you different than everybody else?
Old 01-06-2009, 05:39 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Originally Posted by tiburon88 View Post
That's the thing it IS about cakes and sobriety chips. I care about being called a newcomer because I have been in AA for nearly 5 years! If I just drink beer I don't consider that a relapse because I can't get drunk on beer. I have too high of a tolerance.

tib 6
So keep drinking every once in awhile, have some cake & gaze at your chips... and tell yourself you're sober. Just because you believe it doesn't make it true.

Sounds like denial to me Tib. Sorry.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:50 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

At first I was angry about this thread.. and thought it was dangerous for 'newbies' to read.

Tib, I wish you the best.. and I feel sad for you.

I really think this can show what addiction/alcoholism can do to our thoughts, rationalization and logic. Scary.

I hope you find your way soon
Old 01-06-2009, 07:20 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Tib, honestly, if I can do this, you probably can too.
Old 01-06-2009, 08:16 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Same here. I don't see how it helps to count the non drinking days and ignore the drinking days. By that standard, the whole world is sober, having non drinking days inbetween the drinking days. This doesn't make sense to me. Your perspective is how you see things, but I can't share that viewpoint.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:17 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I think he is trying to be funny?
Old 01-06-2009, 09:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope so...