Notices

Happy Birthday ...........

Old 01-01-2009, 08:46 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday ...........

Today I am here after 23 years in recovery..... and proud of all that I have accomplished.......

I can't believe I made it this far in my soberiety.......

Praying that you all have a wonderful New Year......

Little Penguin
Old 01-01-2009, 09:02 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Gold Member

Happy 23 years!!!!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fantastic ...Thanks for sharing!
Old 01-01-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday!!!

23 years is phenomenal!!

Hugs and prayers!

Amy
Old 01-01-2009, 12:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks..... I am looking for more exciting things to do today.....

Besides.... 23 years is a long time to be sober and that is a plus I am thankful for....

The day is beautiful and no rain or snow.... just warm in the 70's for the moment..... So I will go for a walk and just have fun.

Little Penguin
Old 01-01-2009, 12:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Happy 23 years Penguin.

I started a thread in newcomers for you lol .

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ars-today.html
Old 01-01-2009, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
6/20/08

Yayyyyyyyyyy, Penguin!

I would love to hear your story...if you'd like to share it.

23 years is so wonderful!
Old 01-01-2009, 07:41 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

WOW!

That is awesome! Thank you for sharing your good news with us today!

Congratulations!
Old 01-02-2009, 05:34 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

23 years, that is awesome..... tell us how you did it!
Old 01-02-2009, 10:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I took one day at a time after I had realized that I need to change what I have messed up so much in my life.....

MY STORY CAN BE FOUND AT THE SIGHT "STORIES OF RECOVERY" .....my title is "TOUGH MOUNTAIN CLIMB"

But here is some of my story..... do catch the rest at "stories of Recovery"

It all started when I was still away from home and living with some Nuns and making my future with them at the same time..... I had been with them for 10 years and somehow got into drinking with some of them and others outside the house...... We ran a retreat house and every sunday served wine before letting everyone go home.... to me it seemed like the wrong thing to do .. We were sending some people home on the road with Alcohol in their system.....

Anyway ....for me I got too much into the alcohol and my depression got the worse of me at the same time..... I knew I needed help and the drinking wasn't going to stop..... it was my way of getting away from problems that were getting to me..... Yes.... religious have troubles to and just don't let anyone know.... they cover it up real good and move on with their lives..... They can't get outside help or talk to anyone outside the Religious life and that makes it harder......

I reached out to others despite what anyone says and got in trouble for it..... so I had to make other decisions and that was to leave and get the help I needed to be normal again....

But what was normal beyond Drinking alcohol?

When I got to meetings I was being judged there as others around me said I didn't belong ......when someone else said that I was in the right place and no one has the right to judge me..... I had a problem with drinking and needed help......

I had a friend that said he wouldn't talk to me unless I got the help recovery offered....... so I went to 90 meetings in 90 days.......

Today I am now further in the program than I thought I would be.......... it took One Day At A time and the will power to keep moving forward..........

I did get back into religious life and put in another couple years or so........... but I found that the same Nuns were just going to judge me for the past and try to find out where other nuns may have hid some money that was missing........ these nuns were dead and someone thought there was treasure hidded someplace in the convent............... My recovery of 5 years didn't mean anything to them.....

I left and have a life of my own that I need to stick with..... and my program keeps me moving forward.....

I have to do what is best for me........ and recovery has what I need to stay here for the moment....... I keep up with the 12 steps, help others and try to keep my family in one piece when others try to bring acohol into the house.......... We have our trying times and I just keep moving forward..... I have to or I will loose it..... and end up back in a place I don't want to be.....................

This is part of my story shortened and I have more to say another time.......

Little Penguin

Last edited by expenguin; 01-02-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 02:07 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ever closer...

Your story certainly reminds me that alcoholism affects everyone everywhere no matter where they may try to run too!! I am glad you are here and congratulate you on 23 years!!!
Old 01-06-2009, 12:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

You are right ....No matter what we do for our job in this life we all have the same problems...... And for me it just happened to be a type of job that I wanted for the rest of my life.....

We all think that no matter what we deciede to do in our future there is always something that is going to Stop us dead in our tracks...... For me I had to make a life decision and change my life to make me better.... It was tough and yet I am still here doing other things....

I still think back about what I could have done differently to make my past life work better.... But in the long run God has the final decission for me..... He always will no matter what I want......

Thanks for sharing with me and letting me talk.....