Notices

CAR-ma

Old 12-31-2008, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

CAR-ma

i believe i may be paying back a bit of karma for driving blind drunk so many times... i never hit anyone, thank god, or injured myself or anyone else (thank you thank you big guy!), but i did risk my life and the lives of countless others every time i got behind the wheel loaded. i did that often.

SO - maybe this is karmic payback? my car, my sweet wonderful little subaru wagon, got totaled by a drunk driver on christmas eve. thank god my mom and i were not in it, it was parked in front of my house. the man who smashed into my car lives in my neighbohood, a few streets over, and after he wrecked my car he proceeded onwards (i don't know how, since his car must've been annihilated) to his home where he crashed into his driveway. my mom was in town, and she and i went over there after the initial accident. he was getting put in an ambulance, but the cops said he'd be fine. he blew a .19. yikes.

i'm not sure how much his insurance company will give me for my car, but i hope it's enough to get a *decent* little grocery getter. the accident could've been much much worse, if my neighbors hadn't heard the crash and ran out to write the plate number down or look at his face, if he didn't live in my neighborhood, if he didn't have insurance, etc. etc. i'm praying for him and his family, and i'll probably see him at meetings. DWIs are required to attend these days... maybe i'll give him a ride.

but anyway! just wanted to see what others thought... am i reaping alcoholic karma, or is this just bad luck?

happy new year's, y'all!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's good luck no one was badly injured. Tonight (new years eve) the emergency services will be busy with a glut of bad luck sad endings. I'm keeping well off the roads tonight.
Old 12-31-2008, 07:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

As well as being an atheist, I'm a skeptic of karma as well... but, dang.. I'm really sorry to hear about your ride. Will the guy's insurance even cover him, being that he was drunk? You seem to have a great attitude about it all. My Subi is out of commission as well. It broke down on Christmas Eve, 2 towns and 25 miles away. Tried to get it towed to a shop on Monday, and due to a heavy snow storm, only emergency towing was available. It's finally being towed to a shop this morning. I hope I can afford to fix whatever is wrong. It popped, wouldn't stay running, and the lights won't shut off. Very strange... Anyway, hope you can find a suitable replacement soon. I know you loved that car.

DK
Old 12-31-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Emimily you do not have to settle for what ever his insurance company offers you for your car!!!!

Go to several used car dealers in your area and ask them to give you an estimate for how much they would charge you to buy the car he totalled if it had the same milage and was in the same condition as yours! His insurance company should not only pay you what it would cost to replace your car, they also have to pay for a rental for you until you get another car.

BTW glad to hear no one was hurt or killed!!!

Karma???? I do not believe in long term Karma, short term is another matter, if I spit in a guys face him hitting me in my face I would call short term karma!
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

aww, thanks DK! maybe my subi's pain carried across the nation, and your subi shut down in solidarity. or something. i did love my little wagon, but it's just a material possession. most important thing is no one was seriously injured... like december said.

goin to peruse craigslist for a (hopefully) suitable replacement...
Old 12-31-2008, 07:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

thanks taz. you've always got my back, and i appreciate that. <3 <3
Old 12-31-2008, 07:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to know you were not in the car...

I've no experience with dealing with your situation.
The 2 minor accidents I had ..sober.. were clearly my fault...

There's a lot to be said for being a carless drunk in a city.
Old 12-31-2008, 09:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Wow, how freaky is that! Not in a good way, either. I am so glad that your car was parked and was empty when it was hit!! You're right, it could have been so much worse. I'm glad you're ok.

Taz had some great stuff in his post, btw!! Awesome, Taz!

I personally DO believe in karma, but I don't think this is that. Maybe this is what HE needed to have happen to show him the way to the help he needs? Who knows what surprising things might happen for you as a result as well. I believe everything happens for a reason, even if it's unclear at the time what that reason is.

It sucks that your car is out of commission, but it's just a car and can be replaced. You can't.

Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I believe in Karma, but what you described is not karma to me.

It is good to reemmber where we come from though in order to have more compassion toward those who have not found recovery.
Old 12-31-2008, 02:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Psalm 118:24

There but, for the Grace of God go I >>>

Of all the times I'd be driving while blind. I crashed into a guard rail and came to heading down the wrong lane on the interstate. Cars were coming at me and i drove back thru the median and got back on my side of the road.

Glad, you were not in your car to be with us this New year
Old 12-31-2008, 04:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I also believe in Karma, and here is your chance to get some good Karma. You have his contact info (or can get it) via public records.

Invite him to an AA meeting.

He may or may not need it or get anything out of it, but then again, he just might.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

you may be right,you might be the one who gives this guy a ride to meetings and help him get sober.It would definitely be worth a car for that!
Old 12-31-2008, 09:07 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Actually you don't have to go to car dealers, use Kelly Blue Book, like the Insurance Company will do.

Go here:

Used Car Prices, Blue Book Values, Photos, Reviews and Ratings - Official Kelley Blue Book Site

put in your zip code, fill in all the spaces, then get both the selling price by a dealers in your area and the going price in a private sale.

That will give your 'negotiating' areana.

As to was it Karma or not, who knows. There certainly are MORE drunk drivers these days than there were say 5, 10, 15, 20 years ago. The professionals say that addiction affects about 10 to 12% of the population. Well, since our population continues to grow, of course, so will the number of drunk drivers.

I am grateful that neither you or your Mom were in that car. I think this was a "God Shot" so to speak, bring back your awareness of how far you have come.

Yep, you may see him in a meeting one day, and you may even give him a ride.

As Jimmy R. used to say "Life Is In Session, Let's Get It On!"

Hope y'all have a safe, happy, serene and peaceful.

Love and hugs,