Notices

Really nervous about New Year's

Old 12-29-2008, 03:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Really nervous about New Year's

Forget Christmas or Thanksgiving- those I can do relatively easily without drinking. Besides, usually there is family involved and alcohol is pretty much banned by default of all the alcoholics present.

But New Year's is going to be a tough one, for sure.
I am not exactly sure what I'll be doing.
There are three things I'd like to do but only one of them is a good idea.

One is to go out to all the parties I can and try to pull off having one glass of champagne at midnight and go home.

The second is to go out to all the parties I can and not drink anything and suffer miserably inside.

The third is to hang out with some other recovering alcoholics and do what their doing. That's going to be hard. But at least I'll have rung in the new year on a good foot and a clear conscience!

Old 12-29-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I used to love getting drunk as a skunk on New Years Eve.I find I have no problem staying sober and happy if I go hang out with other AA`s at a alkathon.It provides a good atmosphere and a chance to help others with no hangover or trips to jail.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
6/20/08

One glass of champagne would be too much for this alcoholic.

My Christmas holiday was spent around Constant Drinking (by others). I was amazed at how much and when alcohol was drank. And you know what, I didn't suffer. Not one bit. Oh sure, there were a couple of times I wanted to bang my head against the wall, but overall, it was very interesting to watch the drunks!

The best part: Being on this side of it with my sobriety intact. I don't ever want to be a drunk again. I can handle being an alcoholic....just not a drunk. Hope that makes sense!

Take it a Moment at a time. Just one moment.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

New Years is another major drinking holiday especially where I am. We have a New Years parade so most of the people I know drink for at least 2 days. It sounds like you should stay with the AA people. I find not drinking to be alot easier when not surrounded by people drinking. I do not attend AA for personal reasons but for this day I wish I did. I will be looking for people carring bottles water to converse with. Good luck with whatever you decide.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:06 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I live right outside of Fredericksburg, Va. for years they have had a huge New Years celebration that is alcohol free!!!! We have a 3 day AA Alcathon over Christmas which is a blast, great food, great fellowship, games, speakers and meetings.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

My AA home group has added extra meetings on
the 31st & 1st. Another group is hosting an Alcathon.

The party is after our meeting on New Years Eve.
Food...Music...Games...we'll toast the year in with Ginger Ale.
Makes me think of the BB quote....something about
"we insist on having a good time...we are not a glum lot"

Last edited by CarolD; 12-29-2008 at 09:01 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

Originally Posted by coffeenut View Post

I can handle being an alcoholic....just not a drunk. Hope that makes sense!
It makes perfect sense. Thank you, coffeenut.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I vote for #3 -- hang out with other recovering alcoholics....

"What's behind curtain #3, Monty?" -- SOBRIETY. More important than anything to this alkie...

Happy New Year!
Old 12-29-2008, 05:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
where the light is

A thought I will carry with me on New Years Eve:

Imagine how I will feel on January 1, 2009 - well rested, safe, happy, at peace. I'm not trading that for a drink.

If you don't feel strong enough being around alcohol on New Years Eve, then stay away from it! This is not a test of strength. It's your life. Plenty of sober activities and people to celebrate with.
Old 12-29-2008, 07:18 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have now celebrated 4 New Years Eves in sobriety and preparing for number 5. I have spent some at our group's alkathon. I have been to some AA dances and last year I spent it at home with my hubby and my mom. This year my best friend asked hubby and I to a bar. I discussed it with him and turned her down. While we might be fine, neither of us has any desire to be around a bunch of drunk people and then risk life and limb to drive across Houston, TX (no small feat in normal conditions) with all the idiots on the road.

Like others, I vote for number 3 for you or else perhaps an early dinner followed by some rented DVD's and maybe some friends or family over to bring the new year in with loved ones in a safe environment - YOURS!!

Good luck whatever you decide!
Kellye
Old 12-29-2008, 08:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I never did get the point of all the excitement over New Years.

My body is not chronologically aligned with the earths journey around the sun. For me a New Year can begin anytime I want it to.

Sure I used to revel in all the celebrations and noise making but i did it mostly because of all the free booze.

For the past ten or twelve years New years has found me at home sleeping or in quiet contemplation.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:58 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

For New Year's Eve, I've been asked to help photograph a band -- in a bar. The girl I am helping knows my situation with being newly sober.

I warned her in advance that I may get some anxiety at some point and have to leave. I don't want to make more of it than it should be. It's not like I crave alcohol so far. But, I also don't want to seem strange to others by suddenly saying good night early on.

It's important to me to be able to carry on with my life, just minus the alcohol.

What helps me is having the photography aspect to it. I know people are counting on me and I never drank too much in those situations. I always did my drinking when I was either with the "drinking friends" or when I got back home.

Of course I am apprehensive, but I would think that is normal. I am still in the phase where I am excited about being sober.

Plus, I think with a couple of the people there who know my situation I would never embarrass myself by breaking down in front of them.

I don't fear slipping that night, what I fear is not being able to handle the whole night and feeling like I have to leave early.
Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Ex,

I completely understand where you are coming from in wanting to get on with normal activities minus the alcohol and you're doing so well. Congratulations.

Everyone that knows that you are no longer drinking isn't worth a boo. As long as you understand that you are not drinking and will not be drinking is what you really want to be committed to. Promise yourself that if you have any hesitation in even going to help photograph this band before you go, you won't and if you feel anxious at anytime during you will leave. You mentioned that you cleaned out your house of alcohol, but do you have a plan for what you will do when you get home should you have to leave early?

You know yourself Ex, but yikes, the whole situation would have made me nervous 9 days plus into sobriety. I can only speak for myself, but I'm just throwing this out as a sobriety buddy. Are you sure you want to put yourself in that situation so early?
Old 12-30-2008, 03:37 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hey ExNavy

I kind of agree with gerryP, but if you are going, do you have an AA or sober buddy to take with you?

I am 3 1/2 mos and I still get in bad head space when around people drinking, even if they are not drunk, and it's not even because I am afraid I'll drink. My sponsor says it gets better, but for now, I'm just gonna say... Easy Does It.

LaDita -

Didn't mean to steal the thread, sorry...

I am having all the same thoughts. My wife has a few ideas about what to do, but I don't think she appreciates this whole early recovery thing. I want to go to an alcohol free event - there is a First Night celebration in a city not too far from me - which I think looks good... not specifically an AA thing, just no booze.

Hope you have a great time no matter what you do as long as you don't pick up !

Mark

Old 12-30-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Hey LaDita,
Maybe hanging out on SR for some time on New Year's Eve might help. I'm sure there will be a few of us. Staying sober is the best move you can make. You are worth it!

I, myself, used to go to a lot of all night AA meetings, but now spend NYE with the rowdiest crew I have ever encountered - my two kids, aged 2 and 4.

These kids are maniacs.

Pray for me.

Mike
Old 12-30-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I'm not going to do anything this new year's eve. That is sad, but I won't be drinking which is very much not sad.
Old 12-30-2008, 09:11 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikel60 View Post
Hey LaDita,
Maybe hanging out on SR for some time on New Year's Eve might help. I'm sure there will be a few of us. Staying sober is the best move you can make. You are worth it!

I, myself, used to go to a lot of all night AA meetings, but now spend NYE with the rowdiest crew I have ever encountered - my two kids, aged 2 and 4.

These kids are maniacs.

Pray for me.

Mike
Mike, I can't think of a better way to spend New Years and your little ones will have that memory for the rest of their lives. My Dad was never a drinker and that's all I have is memories spending time with him.

HNY Mike!
Old 12-30-2008, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Well there ya go no excuses to drink, for years i made all these lame excuses to have just 1 , ha, always ended up plastered or on a bender. What has helped me is to always make sure, (recently that is) to have a sober friend with me , if i choose to subject myself around alcohol. So far so good as for the next day ? I'll let you know.

Take care,
John
Old 12-30-2008, 01:30 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Drunkaholic

do you have a plan for what you will do when you get home should you have to leave early?
Excellent point! I do have a plan. I made this commitment before I stopped drinking so I did my normal thing and got on Hotwire and booked a hotel a couple miles from the event.

I was my greatest enabler -- I always made it is easy for me to exceed normal limits by paying extra money for hotels and cabs instead of just not getting wasted. Although I was not an everytime waste case - the controlling your drinking was not successful enough to risk it.

So I have a really nice Suite Hotel that I can go back to and I have a commitment to run the next day with a pretty girl that I am motivated to not embarrass myself in front of.

I feel secure on this one. I need this test, because I have Las Vegas coming up for Super Bowl weekend -- yikes.