Notices

Alcohol or...

Old 12-23-2008, 07:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol or...

Hello everyone,

I told my husband who has alcohol problems (periodically) about this site, now he is wondering what can he replace alcohol with? he is considering to use Kava Kava or valerian root herbs.

He enjoys going into mountains like hiking but due to having full time job and full time school and newborn at home its not possible.

Any recommendations, thoughts....all welcome
Old 12-23-2008, 07:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi...

The best idea is to see a doctor and be honest about his drinking.
It's really not a good idea to be de toxing
without supervision.

Why? Please click on the line below for information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Best wishes to the 3 of you
Old 12-23-2008, 08:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous is a sufficient substitute.
I think I read that in a book somewhere.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Professional Alcoholic

Replace it with sobriety.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

you can replace alcohol with anything as long as its healthy and something you can afford to do in your life. Ask him what he likes and what he has wanted to do more of. Then see if you can work that into your routine instead of alcohol.
Old 12-24-2008, 03:08 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I agree with cuda, AA not only offers an alternate to alcohol via the fellowship of AA, it offers a solution to alcoholism via the program of AA!
Old 12-24-2008, 05:02 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
I agree with cuda, AA not only offers an alternate to alcohol via the fellowship of AA, it offers a solution to alcoholism via the program of AA!
thats really good that you are sober
Old 12-24-2008, 05:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Hi...

The best idea is to see a doctor and be honest about his drinking.
It's really not a good idea to be de toxing
without supervision.

Why? Please click on the line below for information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html

Best wishes to the 3 of you
thanks, he has been sober since end of november, he was sick for few days, I think November 29,2008 was after he had his last drink. I am considering if possible to find a job in substance abuse center maybe to understand more about it. Husband loves life trying to help him figure out what to substitute it with.
Old 12-24-2008, 06:31 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

am considering if possible to find a job in substance abuse center maybe to understand more about it.
One thing you will learn if you get a job like that is that a long term recovery program is crucial for most alcoholics and drug addicts to stay clean and sober. Very few alcoholics or addicts simply substitute a hobby or fitness regime for thier alcoholism or drug, recovery for most is a life long process, not a substitution. If it is was that simple I would have simply stepped up my hunting and fishing and quit drinking.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:30 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

alcohol is just a vehicle that is used to escape something internal. once alcohol is gone, the intense discomfort inside remains unless the inner life is healed too.

sooooo, for me, just replacing alcohol with external busy-ness, sports, vitamins, herbs.. you name it, did not constitue a life of happiness or freedom.

i needed a program of true recovery on all levels of my life in order to want to remain alcohol free. i found that through AA. its a program of action and honesty and spiritual connectedness with each individual's sense of their own spiritual source. may your husband find some thing that works for him!
Old 12-24-2008, 07:53 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
One thing you will learn if you get a job like that is that a long term recovery program is crucial for most alcoholics and drug addicts to stay clean and sober. Very few alcoholics or addicts simply substitute a hobby or fitness regime for thier alcoholism or drug, recovery for most is a life long process, not a substitution. If it is was that simple I would have simply stepped up my hunting and fishing and quit drinking.
yes, I very much agree with you, there is just so much to it. but meanwhile keeping up healthy lifestyle with exercise and anything else healthy is good also.
Old 12-24-2008, 07:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post
alcohol is just a vehicle that is used to escape something internal. once alcohol is gone, the intense discomfort inside remains unless the inner life is healed too.

sooooo, for me, just replacing alcohol with external busy-ness, sports, vitamins, herbs.. you name it, did not constitue a life of happiness or freedom.

i needed a program of true recovery on all levels of my life in order to want to remain alcohol free. i found that through AA. its a program of action and honesty and spiritual connectedness with each individual's sense of their own spiritual source. may your husband find some thing that works for him!
he went few times, did not like it, only once he took me with him, we sat quietly together as people spoke. i also hope for husband to find something. we got some books, but i seem to be reading it, he just looked through them. one thing for sure, since we are of different religions i would not want him to turn religious that would seperate us on some level, otherwise i am being very hopeful and very supportive with all we've got