Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

suuper aggravated, feeling like breaking things, puffy as all hell, and barely sober

Notices

suuper aggravated, feeling like breaking things, puffy as all hell, and barely sober

Old 12-14-2008, 11:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

well, let me just explain: i guess you could say i am the epitome of cross addictied. i have been diagnosed with anorexia, bulimia, drug addiction, and alcoholism...along with the standard mental disorders of social anxiety, PTSD, and depression. having said that, alcoholism is the main evil of the moment. really, i can't make it for two days without flying into a rage and heading for the liquor store. and i do *try*...but the irritability that comes along with the withdrawls is too much to bear sometimes. also, i read some previous posts about the alcohol and facial puffiness *which i cannot stand*...i notice it most the first few days of withdrawl and as someone with an eating disorder i am aware that i am waayyy too sensitive as to what other people think of me. HOWEVER, one comment on how bloated my face looks and BAM, it's back to the vodka bottle. you all seem to have a lot of strengh and i know you don't have "all the answers", but if you all could give me advice on how you got throught that initial month of sobriety (most i've had is 2 weeks in the past 2 years) i would love to hear it. thanks!!
Old 12-14-2008, 11:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Serenity today

Do you have access to an inpatient rehab program, insurance or VA (you mentioned PTSD)? The Salvation Army also runs some very good programs. I made it through my first month as an inpatient.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

Originally Posted by need2qtaltofsht View Post
...you all seem to have a lot of strengh and i know you don't have "all the answers", but if you all could give me advice on how you got throught that initial month of sobriety (most i've had is 2 weeks in the past 2 years) i would love to hear it. thanks!!

Shoot, I know I don't have a lot of strength...I just hang around here, read and post a lot, and hope that something sparks my brain sooner or later.

Need2, stay around here for awhile and read a lot. Post a lot. You'll get all kinds of support.

I hope you have someone to talk to face to face who you feel comfortable with....you have a lot on your plate. Welcome to SR.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by need2qtaltofsht View Post
if you all could give me advice on how you got throught that initial month of sobriety (most i've had is 2 weeks in the past 2 years) i would love to hear it. thanks!!
Hey glad you're here!

I desperately wanted to stay sober more than I wanted to drink. So I went to AA meetings every day. I got a sponsor and started working the first step. I wrote in a journal/diary every day to list all of the things I was grateful for. I exercised, ate healthy, read books, and took an interest in photography.

The thing that helped the most was reaching out for face-to-face support from other recovering alcoholics, and being willing to follow the instructions that they used to get sober.

Glad you're here. Keep posting and reading around. Stay sober for today and don't worry about tomorrow yet ...
Old 12-14-2008, 12:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Keep coming back, keep sharing, keep learning.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I have to say it wasn't possible for me to stay sober until I wanted to be sober way more than I could want to drink. Until I wanted sobriety more than anything else, I couldn't hold on to it. I do know my first 30 days were the hardest, getting off the physical addiction and then slowly getting my brain and body back to normal. It still took another month or two, but it wasn't as edgy as the first month. But I got thru that first month one day at a time, sometimes one hour or minute at a time, but just staying in today was the only way to do it.

AA and other recovery programs can be very helpful for face to face support and suggestions. This site was a lifesaver for me as I have some social anxiety issues. So without having to leave my home I was connected with friends all over the world. Friends who never gave up on me even when I was giving up on myself.

Inpatient treatment programs are also a good place to start, for the medically supervised detox and the 'kick start' you get from being in a clean and sober place for a month or so. You would be advised to talk to your doctor about your drinking and your plans to get sober. I was given a brief scrip for anti anxiety meds to get me thru the first few days. AFter that, it got easier.

Welcome to a great place!:ghug3
Old 12-14-2008, 01:25 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome,

I agree with what several people suggested. Since you have so much on your plate to deal with at one time I think if at all possible an inpatient detox would be best. They can get you through the first part of the detox with the help of any meds you might need and provide any other services you might need. You wouldn't be under scrutiny by people looking at your "puffy" face and you just focus on taking care of you.

Best of luck to you, keep posting here and keep letting us get to know you. You will find a lot of support here. This is a "we" thing. By myself, "I" get drunk but "we" stay sober!

Take care,
Kellye
Old 12-14-2008, 01:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

I think I got through the early days by knowing that I had no other choice. My body was not going to be able to take any more alcohol. I really was desparate. I also started altering my daily routines. I would normally drink at home, alone, so I made myself get out of the house and do other things. It really helped me.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Change...for me early sobriety was about changes

I went to AA each day
I left a stressful job
I gave up my still drinking friends
I began eating healthy foods

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum
Old 12-14-2008, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR there is a whole lotta support here for you. From what I read I would say a detox center would be good to clear the alcohol from your system safely. An impatient rehab. is great that it keeps you clean for the first 28 days and you learn alot. I did both and it is good for those reasons. The key for my sobriety now is going to AA. I go 1 to 2 times daily, I got a sponsor after a bit, and working the steps now.
It is very hard at first, I can tell you that since I have tried to quit on my own a million times, never worked and even with (outpatient) rehab I relapsed, But it did introduce me to AA, and that is the life changer for me.

Keep reading here and posting here...there is a chat room that alot go in the evenings and that is a great place to chat. I know alot of great people in there.

You have to take this one day at a time, and some times one minute at a time. It gets better over time, but it does take time, as most of us didn't get where we are now overnight. The problem with this is most alchys want what they want now.. so ya gotta be patient.
If you want to be sober you have to be willing to do anything for it and work hard at it. Glad you are here, keep posting and reading the blogs. :ghug2
Old 12-14-2008, 02:49 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

hi, thanks for all the helpful replies. i agree, inpatient would be best for me, but unfortunately i don't have any insurance right now. i have been to "eating disorder rehab" in the past, but they just seemed to think the alcoholism would "go away" when the eating disorder did. what a joke. i agree, i do need to go to AA mtgs. there's just that voice in my head that tells me i'm not "sick enough" to go there. even though i drink almost everyday...starting at 4 drinks but usually ending up to be way more. well, i'll definitely start hanging around here a lot more for some inspiration. thanks!
Old 12-14-2008, 03:02 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I know the rehab center I went to also had state or county paid beds for people who didn't have insurance. I am not sure the particulars, but worth looking into.

Read what you have written above, and then decide if you think you have a problem with drinking or not. Only requirement for AA is the DESIRE to STOP DRinking!! That is all..does not say how much you had to drink or how long or anything, just that you have the desire to stop.

Keep posting and reading until you figure out what you need. We are here for ya.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm lost too.