Notices

Question about bleeding

Old 12-13-2008, 09:40 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about bleeding

I normally post on F&F, but thought my question might be better suited for over here. Little history.....my husband is 44, has been drinking since age 16, mostly beer, some vodka. Progressed to an 18-30 cans a day over the past year. Within the last couple months he has "cut back" to weekend drinking only for the most part (still 18-30/day).

Anyway, I'm a little concerned about him because yesterday he made a comment that he cut himself shaving and couldn't get it to stop. Today he has been very fatigued, and has been eating Tums like candy. I believe he last drank on Monday night. He refuses to go to a doctor, does not believe the amount of alcohol he drinks could be harmful, and is not interested in counseling or AA. I'm doing what i need to take care of myself and our kids, but I still worry about him and his health. Any insight into what's going on? I know I can't help him or make him change, only he can do that, but anyone else who has been on his side of this have advice? Thanks for letting me visit over here!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:16 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

As a Hospice nurse I have seen many alcoholics "bleed out". It is part of the disease process with cirrhosis, etc. He needs to see a doctor and get blood work done.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello there Blessed

I'm sorry to hear your husband is feeling so fatigued. Long term alcohol consumption can cause a wide range of problems, and there is no way that anybody can diagnose him over the internet. Profuse bleeding is common, as alcoholism can result in damage to the bloods clotting ability. Lots of tums sounds like stomach problems, which could be simple indigestion all the way to an ulcer.

The best thing to do is hope for the best, but plan for the worst. That means keep a phone close by at all times. If you have a cell, keep it in your pocket all the time. Keep a piece of paper with the numbers of good friends, and write down "911" on that piece of paper. You'd be surprised how many people forget that number in times of emergency.

Share at an al-anon meeting, and ask if people there will give you phone numbers to _their_ doctors that are knowledgable in alcoholism.

Hopefuly, he just has indigestion. But if it is something worse you need that phone handy in case he develops pain in his stomach, or even passes out. If that should happen then he will be more willing to see a doctor.

I pray that it is nothing serious. But if it turns out to be more than just indigestion, you will be prepared.

Mike
Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Prayers for you and your family going out.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

my xabf would cut himself shaving and the bleeding wouldnt stop for a long time. one time i walked into a motel he was binging at, he cut his elbow (tiny cut) and the motel bed where he was laying was full of blood. it was a scary scene! he said it was because the alcohol doesnt let your blood clot so the bleeding could go on for hours. please have the doctor check though.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum....

Blessed ...

drunkntexas...

spda ...