Notices

Has anyone read any of these books?

Old 12-13-2008, 08:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Has anyone read any of these books?

There are 2 books on Amazon that are high rated:
Rational Recovery by J.Trimpey and Alcohol and Addiction Cure by C.Prentiss. Just wondering if anyone has read either of these books?
Beyond the Influence is good but ancient!!! I am an RN and some of the facts in that book are so outdated!!!
Old 12-13-2008, 08:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

What is outdated about Beyond the Influence? I'm curious because I just started reading it. Its 8 years old. I guess in terms of medical stuff that could be awhile. At least its not Under the Influence, which is like 30 years old!
Old 12-13-2008, 10:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well, let's see, if you're looking for more recent then that lets out Rational Recovery by Jack Trimpey. After all, it was written in 1996, 4 years before Beyond the Influence (2000). Trimpey's basis for recovery is behavior modification, and there's some good stuff in his book, if you're into behavior modification as a road to recovery. Also, one major drawback (for me, anyway) to Trimpey's book is Trimpey himself; he's vociferously opposed to AA, and all that AA stands for (in his understanding), but if you can wade through his plethora of 'AA bashing' (some claim it takes up 50% of his writings.....??) then it can be a good read.

If you're looking for 'current' then The Alcohol and Addiction Cure by Chris Prentiss might just be what you're looking for. ...and as the title states, it's an holistic approach to total recovery.....Chris Prentiss, the author, is the founder of Passages Substance Abuse Treatment Center in Malibu, CA (costing upwards of $60,000 a month). I've not read the book, but I have seen him in interviews and his infomercials; he kinda reminds me of Kevin Trudeau (you know, the guy who wrote Natural Cures "They" Don't Want You To Know About, and some other more recent ones), but that could just be me. You might want to check out the Passages website....just google it, or Chris Prentiss.....as his approach is holistic, you, as an RN, might just find this rather interesting.

I wish you luck on your quest.

NoelleR
Old 12-13-2008, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I haven't read it yet, but have heard a lot of good things about Slaying the Dragon: The History of Addiction Treatment and Recovery in America.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

"Under The Influence" by Milam & Ketcham
is the book that convinced me to quit drinking in 89.

"Alcoholics Anonymous' is the book I use for my new life
For behavior modification....SMART recovery is what I recommend.

No...I've not read either of the Amazon rated books.
However...I am aware of these approches.

I am an outdated AA recovered alcoholic.

Last edited by CarolD; 12-14-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rational Recovery is a excellent book. I think it scares a lot of AA folks though.

tib
Old 12-15-2008, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I own Rational Recovery and I like it and feel that it helps me. The author, however, is very anti-AA and isn't shy about that in the book. I like his theory and the message of the book as it relates to recovery. I tend to just take the AA stuff with a grain of salt. I bought the book to help me learn to cope and to teach me recovery skills, not to learn how to bash AA.

I have not read the other book.

I have, however, read Under the Influence and found it to also be incredibly helpful.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
I'm just a little unwell

I also found Amazon.com: Sober for Good: New Solutions for Drinking Problems -- Advice from Those Who Have Succeeded: Anne M. Fletcher: Books to be a very good and useful book. Its approach is different but still very helpful.