Sober?!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:00 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Hells yeah!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

Oh yeah, I am tempted to go out and be around people.....I have been so lonely these last couple of days....and I have no license to go to town and shop or exercise and a cab around trip would be like $40
Old 12-11-2008, 08:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

glad to hear doorknob had fun sober, sorry to hear you're stuck at home, magicman. i'm lonely, worried sick and afraid. but sober. i can't imagine dealing with my issues any other way.

hang in there magic man.......
Old 12-11-2008, 08:49 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well, I can't cheerlead for that one because to be honest, my you know what puckered up because I know what would have happened to me had I started doing stuff like that early in sobriety.

Hell I started doing stuff like that after 4 years sober, along with other big no-no's and I know where it got me...drunk and loaded.

Sorry, just being honest. I hope I can still be your sister from another mother in a parallel universe!
Old 12-11-2008, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Freedom1990 View Post
Well, I can't cheerlead for that one because to be honest, my you know what puckered up because I know what would have happened to me had I started doing stuff like that early in sobriety.

Hell I started doing stuff like that after 4 years sober, along with other big no-no's and I know where it got me...drunk and loaded.

Sorry, just being honest. I hope I can still be your sister from another mother in a parallel universe!

Hafta ditto that, even though I never drank in bars for most of my drinking career-too expensive-I did in the end, and I don't frequent bars today, there really is nothing for me there. Like I heard once, and I agree completely, hang out in the barbershop often enough and you're going to end up with a haircut.
Old 12-11-2008, 09:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I love to have a microphone in my hand and hear my voice fill a room. I wouldn't go to a bar just to go to a bar. If there was no karaoke, I wouldn't be there. This also isn't my first sober night out (although it may be this time around). I'm always ready to bail if I start feeling tempted, but usually, observing how other people are affected by alcohol reinforces my desire to not drink. I also took in an AA speaker meeting earlier in the evening. I could hang out at Ice Cubes barbershop all day long, and if I'm letting my hair grow out, I wouldn't let him take the clippers to me, although an old school high top fade sounds kinda fly...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by MagicMan08 View Post
Oh yeah, I am tempted to go out and be around people.....I have been so lonely these last couple of days....and I have no license to go to town and shop or exercise and a cab around trip would be like $40
How far out of town are you?
Old 12-11-2008, 10:15 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by shugabooga View Post
i'm lonely, worried sick and afraid. but sober. i can't imagine dealing with my issues any other way.
I believe that everyone is different, and being self-aware is really important. I know for a fact that I could not pour drinks for other people, job or not. It amazes me that some people are able to keep their job separate like that. I've always drank a little and smoked pot on the job, so that would be out of the question for me.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:31 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

in the big book (ooooh, AA literature, ahhh!) it clearly states that we can go anywhere adn do anything without fear - if you have a good reason to be there... rappin in a great reason to be anywhere.

write a rhyme about me! nothing rhymes with emily though... awww...
Old 12-11-2008, 10:55 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Emily....yes it does say that ...I think itt also says
"if spiritually connected"

Not exact...but close...

Change...my recovery is all about change.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

i know that my spiritual fitness can be enhanced by live music - usually takes place where they serve liquor - so... but i get what you're saying carol, i thought about including that in my post but i more wanted to congrats DK for having fun w/out liquor in his system... y'feel me?
Old 12-11-2008, 11:17 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I cannot imagine being in a barfull of drinking people and enjoying myself for more than 10 minutes. I just don' fit in there anymore.

I went to bars to DRINK, not sing karaoke.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:18 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Emily....yes it does say that ...I think itt also says
"if spiritually connected"

Not exact...but close...

Change...my recovery is all about change.
I had to do some digging, but I found it!

From the 1st edition Pgs. 101-102 (Working With Others)

"So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, if we have a legitimate reason for being there. That includes bars, nightclubs, dances, receptions, weddings, even plain ordinary whoopee parties. To a person who has had experience with an alcoholic, this may seem like tempting Providence, but it isn't.

You will note that we made an important qualification. Therefore, ask yourself on each occasion, "Have I any good social, business, or personal reason for going to this place. Or am I expecting to steal a little vicarious pleasure from the atmosphere of such places?" If you answer these questions satisfactorily, you need have no apprehension. Go or stay away, whichever seems best. But be sure you are on solid spiritual ground before you start and that your motive in going is thoroughly good. Do not think of what you will get out of the occasion. Think of what you can bring to it. But if you are shaky, you had better work with another alcoholic instead!"

Last edited by CarolD; 12-11-2008 at 12:30 PM. Reason: Edited in accordance with AAWS Copyright
Old 12-11-2008, 11:29 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by Emimily View Post
I met a girl named Emily
Who, everyday I've been to see
so nice and friendly
I think she's really in to me...

Last edited by doorknob; 12-11-2008 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:37 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

I don't believe in a 'spiritual realm', and have no desire for an 'imaginary friend' to be connected to, but if I wasn't in a good place emotionally, I wouldn't go. When I was drinking, I wouldn't go to bars unless they had karaoke either. I've never liked bars.. I wish karaoke was offered some place else, but unfortunately, that's not the case. I did the best job I've ever done on Blake Shelton's "Ol' Red", and nailed Dr Dre and Snoop's "Nuthin' but a G Thang" barely even looking at the words. Now that's a high you can't get from anything in a bottle...
Old 12-11-2008, 12:07 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Silly Rabbit

good work! my friend cuban j gave me the MC name of e-million, so that's been fun... emillion on the mic!

i've been to bars to see shows, in sobriety. i saw yo mama's big fat booty band at a bar a few weekends ago, a bunch of kids from the fellowship were there... and some of 'em got on stage! super fun.

now then...

got this pal with a nickname, goes by DK
anytime i see him on i shout him a hey hey
he likes to sing along, it's called kar-a-o-kay
gettin clean and stayin sober each and every day...

snap!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:21 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Nice flow!!!! E-Million, love the name!! I used to go by Schematic MC, but since I moved to this po-dunk town, I changed it to Farmtown Flowamatic, LOL!
Old 12-11-2008, 12:44 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Emimily View Post
Know a girl
Her name is Em-ily
Has a cold
Her throat is phlem-ily
Tried to sing
All Kareok-ily
But she sounds
Like Wilfred Brim-ily

lot's of rhymes... lol... just gotta make up your own words