Notices

Today is the day

Old 12-11-2008, 07:07 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
Today is the day

Today is the day that I vow not to take another drop of alcohol. It is my daughters 4th birthday today and my daughter happens to have Down Syndrome.. what a better gift to HER to not see her mom tipping back the booze anymore. I also have a 5 year old and 9 month old who also deserve for their mom to be sober. I first and foremost have to do this for myself but also for the wellbeing of my children and husband... they most certainly don't deserve this. My life is being consumed by it and I WILL NOT allow it to consume my life from this point on. I was here over a year ago but left while I was pregnant. Well the cycle started again and has gotten worse over time in the last 9 months and I am to the point where I grab my first drink at 4 or 5 pm and drink until I go to bed. This happens 5-6 days a week. I stay home with my kids and it seems like an excuse to throw the routine off. The first 3 or 4 drinks are my happy drinks but any past that point make me crabby, blaa and depressed. I can consume atleast a 6 pack a night and am packing on the pounds. All I do when I drink is eat. Yikes! I grew up in a home with alcoholics and now every family function involves alcohol. I need to prove to everyone in my family that I can DO IT and maybe this will encourage them to put down the alcohol as well.
So anyway.... I know I have to take this one day at a time and if I can't do this on my own, a treatment facility might be the next route. AA isn't an option for me because it's held in a town 20 minutes away and my worst fear is going in front of people to talk about my addiction problem.

So now WE all know today is the beginning to the end of this horrible disease called alcoholism!!
Old 12-11-2008, 07:19 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
peaceful seabird

Welcome to sobriety AJD!

I was a stay at home mom for 12 years. I have three children and was sober for each pregnancy and nursing. Each time I picked the bottle back up my drinking escalated. Then it got beyond my control.

I'm glad you are here and making this decision for yourself. You are doing this for your life, for your future, for your well being. Your spouse and children will benefit from your new life!

I found the second sticky at the top of this section very helpful when I was ready to quit. The sticky contains excerpts from the book "under the Influence". I bought the book and highly recommend the book.

I also found it helpful to change my routines during my trigger times (happy hour). I would go to the store, go for a walk, go to the library, just do something different until the craving passed.

Keep posting and reading. We are glad you are here.
Old 12-11-2008, 10:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome back....

my worst fear is going in front of people to talk about my addiction problem.
That is never a part of an AA meeting
unless you choose to speak...you never have to do so.
Soo...go or don't go but that fear is not fact based.

Please read this recent thread

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...re-lately.html

Glad to know today is your day for sobriety..
Blessings to you and your family
Old 12-11-2008, 11:16 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Carol's right about AA meetings. No one is made to speak if they don't want to. You can just say "I'll pass" and that's it.

Glad you found us again and glad you have the desire to stop drinking. Come back often and read and post as you need to. We're here to support your sobriety.

:ghug3
Old 12-11-2008, 11:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location: Fedup With This Vicious Cycle and Am Doing Something About It
Thanks for the responses! It helps A LOT to come in here and read others stories. Very encouraging and I have a good feeling about this.
Old 12-11-2008, 11:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Helping Others, Helps Me

I tell you what, I never would have gotten sober without tools from 3 treatments(to some thats a lot) and about a year and half of steady AA attendance. The treatment and aa put so many "tools" in my toolbox of recovery I just had to use them. This seems a lot easier said than done to most, but I think I finally "got it"

I had been going to this particular AA meeting place for about a year and half and didn't even earn a one month medallion. I finally earned my first one month medallion last November 21st, and had asked my sponsor to give it to me.

What he said I will never forget "I see a lot of people coming to these meetings, some doing better than others, and some doing worse. I know Paul has had hard time with his sobriety and sometimes I was not sure how the heck he was doing. BUT, one thing he did do was keep coming back, he did not give up. During my years in AA I have seen people come in and out of this program, but one of the coolest parts of AA is seeing someone who has been coming finally "Get It" and make that big step into a life of recovery. Paul kept on coming back no matter what, and that is why I am proud to give him his One Month medallion."

You can do it! To some it is not easy, and I sure struggled for a long painful time "trying to recover" and I am still working at it....but one thing I do know is I will not drink today!

If the 20 minutes seems far my former sober house owner said it like this in response to people saying the meeting was too hard to get to "I know if there was crack or a drink across town I would have found a way over there. So try it with a meeting"

Consider going to the meeting once and see if anyone in your area also goes to this meeting. It may not seem easy to do at first, but it could help out quite a bit with rides and the like.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just starting out...

Today is a great day for starting!
Old 12-11-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to being sober. Tough at first, but it gets easier. I know for me AA and my higher power is keeping me sober...I feel like I am changing daily, "growing".
Just take it One day at a time.